Photo

New App vs. Old App

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Poll: New App vs. Old App (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which app do you like better?

1. The old app (50 votes [98.04%])

Percentage of vote: 98.04%

2. The new app (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for your response. Based on your choice for the word "assume" it seems that you don't know what the opinion of the thousands of satisfied people that you were mentioning before actually is. Not knowing someone's opinion is to me a different thing than hearing a satisfied opinion from that person. Also, it's not exactly clear to me how simply assuming things fits together with doing some proper market research that is needed to create a self-sustaining business. Could you provide any more insight here?

Certainly. I used the word 'assume' because I do not know the exact reasoning for why so many users are not on the forum. That is why I made an assumption. A rather reasonable one, seeing as those are the only 2 logical options.

This assumption, however, has nothing to do with the reasoning behind the gamedesign. 

I understand, given the frustration of you and a few other forum members, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that we as a team, are ignoring you or doing it on purpose to spite you. This is obviously not the case. We care. If we did not care, I would not be here and the forum would have been disabled ages ago.

Posted Image

#182 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

Don't have time... too busy developing ;)

Question: Developing what....

#183 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

I understand, given the frustration of you and a few other forum members, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that we as a team, are ignoring you or doing it on purpose to spite you. This is obviously not the case. We care. If we did not care, I would not be here and the forum would have been disabled ages ago.

Okay, but you ''assume'' that a lot of people aren't active on the forum. But why is that?

• Not everyone has discovered the forum yet
  • Some people think, it's waste of time (actually such a converstion is waste of your time, because you're avoiding all the questions that would endanger your position and 'developing' work)
  • Some people have other things to do

Secondly, you are saying that you take care of the site. How is it ever possible we don't see anything from it than seeing and hearing negative comments of forum members, but also by the BattleChats?

When we've just a good Stratego-Team, it would be so much more fun, than your bunch of 'gold diggers', because YOU don't care of Stratego itself, what must be present at the game developers!

• Lonello likes this

#184 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Certainly. I used the word 'assume' because I do not know the exact reasoning for why so many users are not on the forum. That is why I made an assumption. A rather reasonable one, seeing as those are the only 2 logical options.

This assumption, however, has nothing to do with the reasoning behind the gamedesign. 

It seems you did not get my point (look at that wonderful drawing you made a few posts back for further clarification) since I was not asking why some people are not active on the forum. The question is why you think that people who have not expressed their opinion at all are apparently by default in favor of the newly developed changes. It would clarify this discussion greatly if you could comment on this hard to understand piece of logic.

It's nice that you say you care about the opinion of forum members, but at the same time you go to exceptional lengths not to address longstanding game play issues that have been documented on this forum for several years and while you're at it try to get on the nerves of the majority of the people that post on here. Perhaps you think that is very funny but apart from the irrelevant fact that it is not, it's pretty safe to assume that it will ruin your business sooner or later if game play issues are simply never addressed. If so, you might just go ahead and close the forum so you can do as you please without spending your time on reading and writing posts here.

I've already suggested in some previous post that you might actually learn from the statistics that the supposed hordes of new users are probably not very loyal to the game and therefore cannot possibly generate any significant revenue for you, but I don't remember reading a response from you on that point. Any thoughts on that?

#185 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Okay, but you ''assume'' that a lot of people aren't active on the forum. But why is that?

• Not everyone has discovered the forum yet
  • Some people think, it's waste of time (actually such a converstion is waste of your time, because you're avoiding all the questions that would endanger your position and 'developing' work)
  • Some people have other things to do

Secondly, you are saying that you take care of the site. How is it ever possible we don't see anything from it than seeing and hearing negative comments of forum members, but also by the BattleChats?

When we've just a good Stratego-Team, it would be so much more fun, than your bunch of 'gold diggers', because YOU don't care of Stratego itself, what must be present at the game developers!

How is this so hard to understand? Comparing the number of players playing and active users on the forum, one state with 100% certainty that not all users are on the forum.

Now why this is, we don't know. We can only assume, because mind-reading technology has not been discovered yet and we don't know why those other players don't post here.

The only 2 reasons are that they either don't know of the forum or that they do know, but do not want to be on a forum.

The reason for why you're seeing a lot of negative comments? Because sadly a few forum members are not pleased with the latest update of the game and feel they need to express themselves in such a way.

I do see positive comments, but the people tend to remember negative things easier.

Also, please do not make claims on what we do or who we are. It makes you look very silly when you have no idea :)

It seems you did not get my point (look at that wonderful drawing you made a few posts back for further clarification) since I was not asking why some people are not active on the forum. The question is why you think that people who have not expressed their opinion at all are apparently by default in favor of the newly developed changes. It would clarify this discussion greatly if you could comment on this hard to understand piece of logic.

It's nice that you say you care about the opinion of forum members, but at the same time you go to exceptional lengths not to address longstanding game play issues that have been documented on this forum for several years and while you're at it try to get on the nerves of the majority of the people that post on here. Perhaps you think that is very funny but apart from the irrelevant fact that it is not, it's pretty safe to assume that it will ruin your business sooner or later if game play issues are simply never addressed. If so, you might just go ahead and close the forum so you can do as you please without spending your time on reading and writing posts here.

I've already suggested in some previous post that you might actually learn from the statistics that the supposed hordes of new users are probably not very loyal to the game and therefore cannot possibly generate any significant revenue for you, but I don't remember reading a response from you on that point. Any thoughts on that?

I never claimed such a thing.

If you are to continue with twisting my words, there is no point in discussing this matter any further.

Did you have any other questions?

Regarding your question about the statistics, we do see that the retention is very high. Retention is, when players play and keep coming back.

Posted Image

#186 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

I never claimed such a thing.

If you are to continue with twisting my words, there is no point in discussing this matter any further.

Did you have any other questions?

Regarding your question about the statistics, we do see that the retention is very high. Retention is, when players play and keep coming back.

Actually, I do have another question. In this post you expressed that there are thousands of players and only 45 (now 46) people on this forum who just happen to have a negative opinion that does not agree with your development plans. As is clear from your other posts you don't seem to be very concerned about this, since there are lots of other players who are perfectly happy and in no way do you seem to feel encouraged to do something with the user input recently provided on here. Although there might be quite some positive opinions out there, for the people on the forum it is impossible to understand why their 98% vote would be way lower (or even a minority vote) when all players would give their opinion if no indication of that vast amount of positive feedback is available anywhere. Furthermore, you said yourself that you don't even have a confirmation of that. Therefore, why do you have such a firm belief in the (future) popularity of the new app?

I am not trying to twist your words but instead I am trying to engage in a serious discussion. Since you just said that you care about the forum, I do hope you see a point in discussing matters further, as it can be helpful both for players and developers.

I'm not surprised that the retention is high at the moment, since the app is new. From the business side of things that is of course a good thing. What my concern is is that this is likely to change sooner or later due to the many aforementioned reasons.

Edited by tomato123456, 30 November 2015 - 05:20 PM.

• Master Mind likes this

#187 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

How is this so hard to understand? Comparing the number of players playing and active users on the forum, one state with 100% certainty that not all users are on the forum.

Now why this is, we don't know. We can only assume, because mind-reading technology has not been discovered yet and we don't know why those other players don't post here.

The only 2 reasons are that they either don't know of the forum or that they do know, but do not want to be on a forum.

The reason for why you're seeing a lot of negative comments? Because sadly a few forum members are not pleased with the latest update of the game and feel they need to express themselves in such a way.

Are you about to repeat the things I said in my previous post?

Also, please do not make claims on what we do or who we are. It makes you look very silly when you have no idea 

Okay, in this thing you're right. Maybe I was to fast with my judgement in this.

#188 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

It would not be hard to market the forum on the game by having a window or something pop up that says "Join the forum and make at least one post to get 3 extra saved setups!"  If that was thrown in peoples faces like other marketing schemes are on here then you would have all the market research you needed.  Heck, you could make the free saved setups contingent on registering on the forum and then voting on a poll you make asking about what needs to be improved and then making them have to post at least one thing you could do better.  There are a lot of ways to find out what these so called satisfied customers are thinking.

• Fairway, tomato123456 and Master Mind like this

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#189 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

I love how you seem to know everything about my life! You should do something with that gift ;)

Mick, Goal oriented people find a way.  The only thing you have done so far that has directly benefited the forum community is change the ranking system.  THAT IS IT!

• sevenseas likes this

#190 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,247 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

It was, funnily enough, correct English.

But to answer your passive-aggressive attempt at an insult: Geez, it was just a joke!! What a party pooper!!  ;) 

Your question:

My answer:

Those users are either not aware that there is a forum, meaning that they've never been here or they are aware there is a forum, but have no desire to be here. Please not that not everyone wants to lurk around on a forum.

That's not what I said. I also did not use those percentages. 

tumblr_inline_nti2wm0OFI1tqgb96_500.png

Haha well maybe you should aim your point better...  :lol:  ;)

Edited by Fairway, 01 December 2015 - 12:15 PM.

• Gaius Marius likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#191 IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:25 AM

I think every forum user MUST talking about forum to their rivals in battle chat.

For example, i usually did it when i saw quality personalities. ( like Queenbee1234 / queenofspades )

http://www.cimbom.gs The ultimate social network 

www.twitter.com/UfukBuyukozkaya

#192 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Question: Developing what....

Stratego and other games. We are a game developer...

Mick, Goal oriented people find a way.  The only thing you have done so far that has directly benefited the forum community is change the ranking system.  THAT IS IT!

It may seem that way. That's the nasty side-effect of the job. When you do something good, people won't notice. When you do something bad, people will notice...

Posted Image

#193 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,247 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

I think every forum user MUST talking about forum to their rivals in battle chat.

For example, i usually did it when i saw quality personalities. ( like Queenbee1234 / queenofspades )

Well, I try to do this sometimes to my opponents but it seems they never want to go on the forum. They apparently think it's a waste of time.

#194 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

Stratego and other games. We are a game developer...

It may seem that way. That's the nasty side-effect of the job. When you do something good, people won't notice. When you do something bad, people will notice...

Mick.  Im glad you are here and are keeping the site alive.  But I think you have a lot of very elite minds here to prob for answers and you are not using their advice.  I am talking about Nortrom, Hielco, Enigma, etc.  These people understand the innerworkings of the game.  I think its good that your trying to get all the people that played this game as a kid back into the game as well as market it to people that have not played the game before and may be interested.  However you problem lies in the fact that many people try the site out for a month, play 20-50 games, then leave.  If people didn't get annoyed by all the cheaters/draw refusers on here then I think you would have a lot more people stay.  Shoot, I just lost 45 points because of a couple people that just ran back and forth and refused a draw.  I dont post screen shots because I think they win twice by wasting more of my time.  I as well have limited time and work full time and refuse to waste my time with a draw refuser or a continuous chaser.  I think many people are like me and dont feel like wasting our time.  I know the points are just imaginary but if someone if going to commit a lot of time to something then they want to at least see progress and it is defeating to lose a bunch of points to people that play unfair.  Just my two cents.

#195 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:34 AM

New app is terrible. I dont care what the old app is. I'll vote for it

I have no idea what that thing under my avatar is. I've always liked stickers

#196 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

and its 48:1 now

should have made the poll public lol

#197 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

New app is terrible. I dont care what the old app is. I'll vote for it

The old app resembled the current slated-for-death web version. It was designed by the same people. The new app is designed by a separate group and is completely different.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#198 Jade K

Jade K

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

if u ever wanted to know if u are good looking and wanted the opinion of 50 strangers on the street and u believe that u should not be voting yourself, then the poll should read 48-0
  • Moriarty likes this

#199 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

if u ever wanted to know if u are good looking and wanted the opinion of 50 strangers on the street and u believe that u should not be voting yourself, then the poll should read 48-0

so true

#200 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,247 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

so true

The "1" vote for the new app is the producer of the game. (MickM)

That is it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users