Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

What is the last book you read?

I m reading  homo deus from Yuval Noah Harari currently. (I read sapiens from same author before this.

#2 anita j

anita j

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

I am currently reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett and "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty (getting ready for the HBO show with Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley!!!) 

• The Spectre likes this

#3 FGP_

FGP_

Scout

• Greek Tournament Manager
  • 127 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

The last book I read -until the end- was "Capitalism and Freedom" by Milton Friedman and these days I read "The Road to Serfdom" by Friedrich von Hayek ;)
  • The Spectre likes this

#4 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Sergeant

• Moderators
  • 456 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

The last book I read was my school book of physics :(. Not the whole book but 1 chapter.

• The Spectre likes this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#5 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Reading "Count of Monte Cristo" classic... the 730 paged adult version :D

• zuriels and The Spectre like this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#6 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

Reading "Count of Monte Cristo" classic... the 730 paged adult version :D

This is one of the single greatest adventure novels ever written and a personal favorite of mine. Do check if it is in fact 'unabridged,' Fairway, as 730 pages seems a few hundred pages short...unless it is really small font print–you're going to love this book!  :)

Not too long ago I read "The Romance of Tristan and Iseult" in the edition prepared by Joseph Bédier–it is one of the finest amalgams of the Tristan & Iseult legend. Often I prefer to read classic literature as it provokes more ideas than anything else...for me. Currently, I am reading a mammoth three volume biography of the brilliant composer Franz Liszt.

"I try to think, but nothing happens!"

#7 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

This is one of the single greatest adventure novels ever written and a personal favorite of mine. 

You make this book sound very appealing Gwynplaine!

I don't remember the last novel I finished but a common author I find myself going back to is Michael Chrichton. 

#8 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

I like his novel "The Andromeda Strain." It is a marvelous science fiction suspense thriller, but which may not be science fiction anymore! There was also a very good film adaptation of this book from the 1971 and is definitely worth watching.

Alexandre Dumas wrote a vast number of great adventure classics: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask, and The Corsican Brothers. For me, however, 'Monte Cristo' just happens to be an immensely entertaining work filled with rich details and terrific drama.

#9 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

This is one of the single greatest adventure novels ever written and a personal favorite of mine. Do check if it is in fact 'unabridged,' Fairway, as 730 pages seems a few hundred pages short...unless it is really small font print–you're going to love this book!  :)

Not too long ago I read "The Romance of Tristan and Iseult" in the edition prepared by Joseph Bédier–it is one of the finest amalgams of the Tristan & Iseult legend. Often I prefer to read classic literature as it provokes more ideas than anything else...for me. Currently, I am reading a mammoth three volume biography of the brilliant composer Franz Liszt.

It does say , unabriged :)

It is extremely small print so that is probably why.

• Gwynplaine likes this

#10 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

How far into the book have you treaded, Fairway?

#11 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

How far into the book have you treaded, Fairway?

I'm about on page 132

• Gwynplaine likes this

#12 --Wogomite--

--Wogomite--

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

I like his novel "The Andromeda Strain." It is a marvelous science fiction suspense thriller, but which may not be science fiction anymore! There was also a very good film adaptation of this book from the 1971 and is definitely worth watching.

This was actually the first book of his that I read. 

• Gwynplaine and The Spectre like this

#13 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

I'm about on page 132

Actually, I was meaning to ask what sequence you are reading? Has the "Plot" been sprung–the intrigue involving Dantes?

#14 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Actually, I was meaning to ask what sequence you are reading? Has the "Plot" been sprung–the intrigue involving Dantes?

I'm around the point where he's just discovered monte crisco island and found the treasure, and is transporting it back.

• Gwynplaine likes this

#15 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

The tip of the iceberg, Fairway! The whole episode at the Chateau d'If is thrilling and certainly poignant–the Abbé Faria is an important character, but what a tremendous set of circumstances for the character of Edmund Dantes: bright future, beautiful bride to be, betrayed in the worst possible way, his doom, his savior, his rebirth...but what happens next???  

:ph34r:   :ph34r:   :ph34r:

Please keep me posted after you've covered the next 150 pages. It will keep getting better and better as you read more and more of it.  :D

Edited by Gwynplaine, 28 January 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#16 queenbee1

queenbee1

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

If you have the desire to listen to books that are free on the internet Loyal Books allows you to download many of the old classics. The Count of Monte Cristo is here.

Reading is pretty difficult for me so I rely on this Loyal Books unless it is new. Then I download it from Audible through my Amazon Prime Account. For readers Amazon Prime offers free access downloads and you don't need a kindle. Kindle Cloud reader is free and can be displayed on any computer screen as far as I know including phones. I just downloaded Fellowship of the Rings as a test.

Sometimes it is hard to find a good narrator that you want to listen to and you only get one choice per book at Loyal Books. However, they do carry most of the classics.

• The Spectre likes this

#17 MTinsley

MTinsley

Sergeant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:27 AM

I enjoy reading many of Stephen King's publications. His 'Shawshank Redemption' novella still ranks today among my favorite books.

Edited by MTinsley, 30 January 2017 - 01:27 AM.

• The Spectre likes this

#18 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,308 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:57 AM

I'm currently reading The Alchemyst series by Michael Scott with my son and we're into the second book called The Magician. Scott weaves real historical characters into his stories so that a neat part of the book is trying to figure out what you may remember about a historical figure every time a new one is introduced.

For example, the Alchemyst is the fictional name of the very historical figure Nicholas Flamel (the personage that the first Harry Potter book revolved around, coincidentally). Scott liked Flamel and chose him for the hero in his books and tells the reader quite a bit about him. At one point Flamel was a spy for Queen Elizabeth I and loved the symbol of the 7 and went out into various places as the Queen's eyes, so would sign his messages back to her as "007", the "00" representing the eyes.
  • The Spectre likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#19 The Spectre

The Spectre

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

I enjoy reading many of Stephen King's publications. His 'Shawshank Redemption' novella still ranks today among my favorite books.

Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz are my favorite horror authors too. 

#20 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz are my favorite horror authors too. 

Try reading works by H.P. Lovecraft. If you can find his story "Herbert West–Reanimator," that should put a definite chill in your bones.  :excl:  :excl:  :excl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users