M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hello everyone,

We've seen an increasing amount of 'name calling', topic derailment and swearing on the forum. We'd like to remind everyone that this is against the 'General forum rules'.

As such, from now on we'll be a lot stricter about this and we'll be giving out more warnings to people that break the rules.

If you see anyone breaking the rules, don't be afraid to report them, you can do this by clicking the 'Report' button underneath each post:

Attached File  report.png   14.68KB   34 downloads

See you on the battlefield,

The Stratego Team

• Midnightguy and bmende like this

#2 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

Glad to see M-D that you'll be taking a more aggressive stance on personal attacks.  I warned a few months ago things will get ugly if action was not taken if we allowed people to call out cheaters in the forum.  We had many honest players being called cheaters and it was all hearsay because they had no proof.  The proper action is to write to the site personally and back it up with proof (screen shots are a first step way) that so and so is cheating. 

#3 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,268 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

There should be nothing, in my opinion, that anyone can do to "cheat" in the games and get reported for.  The programming should make impossible all such things...eventually.  The Moderators should aim to make their job automated, to my way of thinking.  The only thing I can see that might be reportable is the language that folks use in these forums.  Especially since there are so many different languages represented by the players.  

• PsychoPatty and LearningThisGame like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Has the site admin forgotten about the forum lately?  There has been no approved posts in awhile and some of the topic threads have really gotten out of line. 

#5 Angelus

Angelus

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

We're here. 

If people feel they've been the target of abusive behaviour on the forum or on the in-game chat, please let us know!

You can report forum posts and private messages. In-game chat abuse can be reported through support. Make sure you provide us with the exact time (GMT) of the conversation. 

#6 Guest_deliciousonions_*

Guest_deliciousonions_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

What about runners? They run / log off when they are defeated. Sure it only takes two and a half minutes for the victory to come through. But constant runners should be banned. Also, what about the players who have multiple accounts? One account per person please. Also, occasionally the chasing isn't a sin and an inevitable capture is stopped by the new chase rule. The repeat move limit is good because it also stops one piece being able to defend the flag when there are a few pieces only left on the board. Great  came, programme and app. Thank you.

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,268 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

What about runners? They run / log off when they are defeated. Sure it only takes two and a half minutes for the victory to come through. But constant runners should be banned. Also, what about the players who have multiple accounts? One account per person please. Also, occasionally the chasing isn't a sin and an inevitable capture is stopped by the new chase rule. The repeat move limit is good because it also stops one piece being able to defend the flag when there are a few pieces only left on the board. Great  came, programme and app. Thank you.

deliciousonions, maybe you can set me straight.  I guess I have never heard of this problem myself.  Runners?  You say they take off when they are defeated and before the Victory banner appears?  What does this hurt?  It only takes a second after victory before the banner appears, and no one stays on for two minutes after a game...at least not usually.  In my experience the stats are updated as soon as I click on the profile page to view them, in other words, immediately.  Why are you saying the victory takes "two and a half minutes" to come through?  

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#8 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Gary, Onions is saying that when someone leaves the game the timer for 2:30 starts to give that person that much time to return to the game.  It's annoying that people leave and make you wait 2:30 to get your win, instead of resigning but I don't see how this can be helped.  The person is being a poor sport, but no matter where you go you'll find players like that.  Onion, do what I do..come here and read some posts or read some E-mail during that time you wait to get your win.  It would be impossible for the site to do anything about it to determine if a player left because losing or left because issue with game or computer. 

#9 Strobe

Strobe

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Is it not possible that players only could leave the game for 1 time? I always do something else in the 2:30 time, but if it is unlimited..

I believe that whatever doesn't defeat you on Stratego, simply makes you.. immortal.

#10 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hello everyone,

As many of you may already know, I was recently appointed by the site to be one of the forum moderators and the position is an unpaid volunteer.  Over the last couple weeks, I have noticed an increase of players calling others cheaters and/or quitters.  While I don't doubt that many of the posts merit truth, but this is in fact NOT a place to call out people or attack others.

In the past, we had post topics "Vote on who you thinks cheats".  I was against this post and wrote it would only lead to trouble.  All that topic thread did was increase tempers and many people who were in fact NOT cheaters were being accused falsely and their reputations were injured. 

The purpose of this forum board is to help improve this site, report bugs, go over other topics related to Stratego, or perhaps some off topics and NOT accuse people of cheating, or leaving a game, or personally attacking someone because you don't like them.  If you have an issue with the post/topic the person wrote, attack the issue and not the person.  Be the better person and not use an abusive tone to put down someones idea.    

With that said, here is what you should do you if you run into someone who is cheating or is taking advantage of game glitches to our site and this includes the draw/pause glitch to avoid a loss.  I borrowed this passage from Trickz on another post. 

Btw,...it's really easy to get proof of this.

Just take some print screens of the game (ctrl-alt-prtscn), open Paint, paste the picture in it, adjust it like you want and save it as a jpg-file.  So if he glitches you,....then take 3 or 4 pictures of the game (one where he offers a tie request, one where he offers he pause request and one where it shows he disconnected on purpose to reload his requests).

Then write a mail to Karen Green of this site and you're done.

There are several people who followed these steps and a few cheaters have been warned and or banned.

You need to first go to your E-mail and address it to Karen Green who is our customer service rep at:  customercare@stratego.com and she will look into the matter.  If enough letters are written by a few players and proof is shown to Karen, then she will ban and/or reset the players stats.  Please note I do not have any power to take action on any player, so I can't ban or reset anyone ratings.  Please write to Karen with your proof of screen shots as for I can't do anything with them.

In the future I will take a more aggressive stance in stopping the accusing of players and personal attacks.   I will either edit, lock, or delete post/threads that call out players as cheaters.  Without proof its all hearsay when you call out someone and others may think its okay to start calling out other players and we run into the issue that some players who are honest are being falsely accused.  If you do have the proof about the draw/pause glitch, again write to customercare@stratego.com and show your screen shots.  Unless if it's a new bug we are not aware of and you have proof to back this claim,  then I will allow the post to be written so the forum is aware of this new glitch. 

As for the increase of calling out people who quit a game (runners), I say "Get over it."  You still got your win and waiting 240 seconds isn't the end of the world.  While I agree that player is exhibiting poor unsportsmanlike behavior, this forum is not a place to attack someone.  There also may be a few times where yes that person is losing the game, but maybe they were legit when their computer locked up, ISP went down or what not.  There is no way for us to determine if that player left on purpose or not, for not everyone who is losing a game left the game because they were losing. 

I hope everyone understands the intent of this forum board, and if you have any questions or concerns write them here.  Let's try to be civil and courteous to one another. 

See you on the Battlefield,

Midnightguy

#11 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Dear Community,

Due to the lack of progress with the site to fix glitches to our site and the increase of players using glitches to their benefit to win a game, Jumbo Gaming has agreed to create a moderator group of actual players who will judge when a player is abusing our game.

This group of people will consist currently of:  Karaiskakis, The Prof, and Midnightguy.   It will be these judges job to determine by the use screen shots or video taken by a player if they are indeed a victim of computer glitches and suffered a loss unfairly.  If we determine that a player was indeed cheating in a game by using the computer glitches to their benefit, we will vote to take action and Customer Care head Karen Green will follow our recommendation. Just posting someone was cheating in a game without proof of a screen shot or video, will not evidence enough for us to take any action on that player.    

It has been agreed by all members of this group and by Jumbo that if a player has indeed been judged as cheating, punishment will be handed out in these forms:

First Offense:  The account with which you cheated will have its rating reset to 100, bronze spy.

Second Offense:  The account with which you cheated will be cancelled AND any other accounts from your IP address will have their rating reset to bronze spy.

Third Offense:  All your names and your ISP address will be banned from the site permanently.

For any player who is a victim of these players using the so called "Draw/Pause" glitch, make certain you take as many screen shots as possible or a video and then post here in the forum. If the majority of our group agrees this player was cheating and abusing our game, we will give our recommendation to Karen Green of Customer Care to take action.  We will hold all records of past doings, so do not think you will get away with cheating in the future even after a long time has passed since you were last reported.

Screen shots and videos should consist of showing the requests for multiple draw, pause requests, and/or the player leaving the game to regain more draw/pause requests.  Players who are quitters/runners will not be judged as cheating, but only as poor sports so, screen shots of players quitting a game, will not be judged by us.  To assure you are not judged as a cheater by our committee, you should only ask your opponent for a draw request during your turn and the same goes for a pause requests.  

These will be our guidelines, and let it be known that the site will not tolerate cheating in any form.  If another player you face shows evidence of you cheating in any way, we will take action on you. 

These rules will take in affect right now and there will be no apologies accepted if you are caught cheating. 

We are the Justice Committee:

Karaiskakis, The Prof, and Midnightguy

#12 SuperDrew2k

SuperDrew2k

Miner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

hey midnightgay, do you have your crossing guard / hall monitor belt framed and hanging on the wall?

wxs5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks for making the internet a safer place ;)

Hmm....i wonder where that marshal went

#13 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Why do you always have to be so negative towards people who try everything they can to improve this game?

They don't do that to you but yet you do it all the time with them.

Some people just believe really hard in honest play and if no one fights for that, then surely NOTHING will ever change.

So instead you should be glad that there are people in this community who want to take action on something what is totally unacceptable. 

Suppose you are winning a great game versus a high silver and suddenly you become the victim of glitching.

Then it's nice to know that you can make printscreens and report this dude, knowing there will be action against him.

Maybe you will lose that game but you know at least that this dude will be resetted at least.

If he does it again, his account is banned.

If he does it a third time, he's gone forever with all his accounts through an ipban.

If that's not a good development in the war against cheaters, then I don't know what is?!?

Nagging on the sidelines like you do is the easiest thing to do.

It doesn't take balls at all.  What do you do to improve the game?  Right, nothing!

You can show at least some respect to people who try to make your games more fun as well eventually.

But yeah, whatever :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#14 SuperDrew2k

SuperDrew2k

Miner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Why do you always have to be so negative towards people who try everything they can to improve this game?

They don't do that to you but yet you do it all the time with them.

Some people just believe really hard in honest play and if no one fights for that, then surely NOTHING will ever change.

So instead you should be glad that there are people in this community who want to take action on something what is totally unacceptable. 

Suppose you are winning a great game versus a high silver and suddenly you become the victim of glitching.

Then it's nice to know that you can make printscreens and report this dude, knowing there will be action against him.

Maybe you will lose that game but you know at least that this dude will be resetted at least.

If he does it again, his account is banned.

If he does it a third time, he's gone forever with all his accounts through an ipban.

If that's not a good development in the war against cheaters, then I don't know what is?!?

Nagging on the sidelines like you do is the easiest thing to do.

It doesn't take balls at all.  What do you do to improve the game?  Right, nothing!

You can show at least some respect to people who try to make your games more fun as well eventually.

But yeah, whatever :)

can you translate that into poem form please?

Hmm....i wonder where that marshal went

#15 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

can you translate that into poem form please?

Sure, why not, lol haha :D

Yo Drew,

It's easy to nag when you're on the sideline,  nice try lame dude! :D

But a Committee is necessary, that's what the high crime rate proofs! ;)

We don't want such disguised crygames noob

so stop actin' like you take flights with a wise brain goof!

This site will fight fake moves from dikes who try to hide plain use...

of their skills cuz' their tries in crimestate proofs

that they don't care how to they win

and that's exactly the reason why this psychs will be out this fly game soon! :D

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#16 Nelis1988

Nelis1988

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hello,

I have a question concerning posting of screenshots

I just played a player who verbally abused me with every move i made! if losing the game wasnt bad enough he kept on going about all sorts of stuff.

Now i have taken a screenshot and saved it but dont know how to post it.

I wont mention the name as i dont know how to post the proof.

Best Regards,

#17 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,472 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hello,

I have a question concerning posting of screenshots

I just played a player who verbally abused me with every move i made! if losing the game wasnt bad enough he kept on going about all sorts of stuff.

Now i have taken a screenshot and saved it but dont know how to post it.

I wont mention the name as i dont know how to post the proof.

Best Regards,

http://forum.strateg...ad-screenshots/

#18 Nelis1988

Nelis1988

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well thanks for the lesson KARAISKAKIS