Photo

Anyone else from WSC here? Zedd? Darth? Jerry? Saad? Master?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hiho! I've found this wonderful site here and it had me think about the olden, golden years!

I was then in a community called the World Stratego Club and we had as much as this site planned to have a Strategogame just as beautiful as the one here. Zeddweb (US) together with his help The_Freak (The Hague, Netherlands) tried to make one but we never got far, sadly.

As we could play by the Stratego CD Rom made by Jumbo/Hasbro we did have an enormous community and erected a board of which I for a period was part of, together then with Ghochan, Darth Remark and Saad Mohammed (US). Back then Ed Collins was a biggie on Stratego parafernalia but we had our own Stratego ranking, forum and such.

Several more great characters spring to mind like Stratego Master (Germany), Jerry and Pescar (US). Back in the day we were counterpart of Metaforge which was a paying site and we wanted no part of that. After a long while in Germany another game was developed which was webbased so they beat us to it... Gravon!

WSC seized to exist and I practically stopped playing but now with this initiative I see much back of what we as 'governors' then tried to accomplish so many cheers to the developers! I now try to see if any of the former WSC-players are back on track and playing here in this community?! Getting back to their own WSC-rating, for sure competing with many new players. Hope to see some here!

• kentinator likes this
Lo

#2 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Lonello my friend!  Good to see you again!  I just found this cool site a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely.  Yes, we tried to do a lot in the old days but it's mostly just a memory now.  At least Gravon still uses our formula for an alternate ranking. :) 

You posted this over a year ago so I hope you're still around.  I would love to reconnect. 

#3 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

This is really funny. I just came across some American tweets which got me thinking about the old days with Ghochan and others. So I typed in Ghochan. I found his games with you on Gravon 10 years ago :). Then on google I found my old post here on stratego.com. I decided just for the fun of it to check if there had been any replies on it since last year. I had done that the weeks after I posted but then realised it had no use. But now it read "Posted An hour ago" :):). I never come around, then one day I decide to check and there are you ;). This is really amazing, do you still live in Knoxville with Angela?!

Lo

#4 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Wow!  That is amazing..lol.  I'm glad I posted when I did.  I came across this post yesterday but waited until this morning to reply.  Glad I didn't wait another couple of hours! :) 

So you don't play on this site anymore?  You should try it again.  We can play some "friend" games if nothing else.

Yes, I am still in Knoxville with Angela.  Are you still in The Netherlands? 

Sadly, there is no new Star Trek these days, but I'll have to send you some new commercials. :) 

All is well I hope.

#5 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

So you don't play on this site anymore?  You should try it again.  We can play some "friend" games if nothing else.

Yes, I am still in Knoxville with Angela.  Are you still in The Netherlands? 

Sadly, there is no new Star Trek these days, but I'll have to send you some new commercials. :)

No I have hardly played any games in the last decade or so, I started here a year ago but there was a nit in that game. The 2nd game I never got to start but the system did count it as a loss to me. So I decided to wait until the errors were out. Now I look at your score and you've played about 200 games here allready?! Wow, that's truly amazing.

Yes here also nothing new, still living on the same farm as non-farmer ;). I did hear there was another ST film coming up wasn't there? The commercials are funny. As you may have seen there is a WC Soccer going on (actually last night the Netherlands stayed in the tournament... US came far but is out now). And in the break we have the same as you have with your Basketball and Baseball etc.: special commercials which have never been showed before (at extreme prizes). So we follow the US :)

Lo

#6 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Wuf!   Hi Guys!!

• kentinator likes this

Wuf!

#7 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

So you are rusty?  We need to play again soon then! :)  You may not remember but you were my bane on the zone.  I was 0-3-1 against you in rated play.  :(

Yes, apparently this site was buggy in the past.  I've only had one disconnect in my whole time here though, and that was on an unrated 10-piece game, so I think it's relatively stable now.  Yes, I've played a lot of games but they've mostly been the very fun 10-piece variant.  The record columns don't distinguish between the game types.  I'd guess I've only played about 60 Classics at this point. 

I'm sure they will make another ST movie.  Thankfully, JJ is busy with Star Wars now, but I think Paramount has their new formula and ST as we knew it is dead.  I do need to try some World Cup.  I hear it's exciting but I've never been able to get into it.  American Football will be starting up in a few weeks though so I am looking forward to that! :)  Congrats to your country on the big WC win.  I was also pulling for you in the Winter Olympics (when not facing Americans).  The Dutch skaters are incredibly exciting.

#8 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

There he is!  Glad you're still around blkdog!  We need to play some soon.  I added you as a friend here on the forum but not sure if that goes through to the game or if you need to accept something first.  It's very cludgy trying to find players in the gameside chat rooms.

Hope all is well with you.  Do you still work with dogs?

#9 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

DR... my wife was the one who worked with dogs... i just mostly feed them in the morning, then close them in at night.

For the most part all is well.

jonlynfo and kent are on here as well. I think kent is now the kentinator though.

Wow, Lonello has some memory eh? no wonder he was so hard to beat. ( i don't think I ever beat him either)

Wuf!

#10 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hiho the bulky dog!! My memory is often rusty though. But I do remember you coming on and starting in the middle, then after some months of play time you started defeating all the old top-players. You became an amazing player. As I remember Jon was there for quite some time and always in the top. Then Kent came and played so much he soon was a topplayer too. They live in Canada don't they?

OK Darth so there are several game types...  I'd thought maybe you took your records over from Gravon. Remember we did that after WSC had finished? I still must have an enormous rating over there as soon as I log in again ;).

As for friending here I'm not sure. I didn't know you could do that but now saw you Darth in my profile. So I checked Blk and probably it is not needed to confirm but you're friends at the spot because now I have 2 friends :).

ST as series is dead but do they continue with the film series? Not sure if the last film was a big success. I did think they were busy with another film but will not be finished before 2015/16. Soccer World Cup is no. 1 in Europe / South America and we got our finales, first to Argentina, then probably Germany. These are our banes :(. Yes your skater Davis is great but didn't pull through for some reason, but I'm sure the US will be back this winter.

Lo

#11 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hey blkdg, I remember that now.  And I remember having to wait for you close up the dogs during games at night..lol. Glad all is well.  I knew about Kent (I replied to the other thread you made about the Zone), didn't know about Jon though.  Does he use the same name here?

#12 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

Lonello, Yes, I'll bet your Gravon rating is high.  Play your new games here though. :)  Don't know what happened to Davis.  A shame to go bust in the Olympics. 

#13 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yes we must play here, can't think of a better first opponent :). Do you only play here now or also on Gravon? And do they have tourneys too?

Lo

#14 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I've only played here the last couple of months. Gravon is near dead and I like the graphics here much better. Not sure about tourneys. I've just been playing games. Let me know when you can play. :)

#15 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sure thing! Tomorrow I have my real time tourney, but next week I'm all for it, can do?! ;) :)

Lo

#16 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Sure thing! Tomorrow I have my real time tourney, but next week I'm all for it, can do?! ;) :)

Just happened to get here, what real life tourney you have? :)

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#17 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,483 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

http://stratego-federation.com/ 1st topic

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#18 HardRain_Lenny

HardRain_Lenny

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Do I know you Lonello?

Are you from Holland?

#19 kentinator

kentinator

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Yo Lonello and Darth!!!  Nice to see you both again!! I found this site about 6 months ago - luckilly I've avoided the terrible "addiction" so far... lol 

I've already found and played BlkDog and Gpet0! Who else is here from those good ol' WSC days! Remember the sound of the men moving with the old Hasbro disk!? 

I see tableplay is here but I haven't met up with him yet. He and I used to have some great games. 

If you guys know of other names from years gone by, please post! 

#20 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Great to see you again Kent!  I changed ISP's a while back and lost your email.  I saw you in the standings here though and have been hoping we'd meet. 

So far I've not become addicted again either, although I think I was getting close to it recently.  I finally met Gpet a couple of days ago and he handed me a couple of losses so that cooled my enthusiasm a bit. :)

Haven't run into any others than those mentioned on this thread. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users