#25 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Trouble with that approach, IUB, is you'll end up being the one hitting the bombs a good chunk of the time. Plus, you will, of course, find that the styles of your opponents improve as you rise so that they will not tend to run into bombs for you. In short, you'll have to adapt yourself to what you learn from your opponents as you go.

Every rank range is tough when you're in it. From every plateau you reach you have to keep trying, learning, and pounding your way higher. The player you are now will not be the same one at the next plateau because you will have learned.

You may already be able to see this since you began, but if not, that's not too surprising. The ELO difference from 100 to 400 is but a few steps. There'll be a small jog from 400 to 500; a short run from there to 600; and a marathon from 600 to the elite ranks.

At one time there was a moderator here named Victor, but Victor's username was LearningThisGame. I always liked that. It was and still is the truest thing we are all doing on this site.

In short, again, there's a lot of learning and adapting ahead for all of us. 😊
  • IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya and Master Mind like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#26 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

I disagree with your first statement Gary. A strong attacking style is the best way to play. Developing this play style takes practice as one must learn what risks are appropriate. However, if done well it is very difficult to defend against.
  • IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya likes this
3 - 0

#27 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:29 PM

I disagree with your first statement Gary. A strong attacking style is the best way to play. Developing this play style takes practice as one must learn what risks are appropriate. However, if done well it is very difficult to defend against.

That's true in my opinion.

It's easier to play against good defensive players compared with a good offensive player.

#28 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

Well, I think that anything any of us says comes from the level of our own experience. Yes, I would agree that a good attacking style is hard to have. For me it is extremely difficult, in fact. But I think the quality attacking style astros and Mr Smith are talking about differs from where IUB is currently playing by leaps of learning.

IUB is like a strong and brash young man who takes on all comers indiscriminately, wailing away joyfully as the freedom of his spirit carries him to do. It's great fun. The trouble is, in my estimation, that once the brash young man gets better he begins to run into knowledge--both from his opponents and himself. Now he is beginning to know all the ways he might get killed and starts to lose the verve and freshness he had in the beginning; he worries. Only when he works his way through this stage to a higher knowledge can anything like the free-spirited attacker he was in the beginning return.

Lots of players champion an attacking style and there's nothing wrong at all with it. I just think we have to differentiate between attacking that's closer to the lotto end of things versus attacking that's intelligent and backed by skill.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#29 IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

Trouble with that approach, IUB, is you'll end up being the one hitting the bombs a good chunk of the time. Plus, you will, of course, find that the styles of your opponents improve as you rise so that they will not tend to run into bombs for you. In short, you'll have to adapt yourself to what you learn from your opponents as you go.

Every rank range is tough when you're in it. From every plateau you reach you have to keep trying, learning, and pounding your way higher. The player you are now will not be the same one at the next plateau because you will have learned.

You may already be able to see this since you began, but if not, that's not too surprising. The ELO difference from 100 to 400 is but a few steps. There'll be a small jog from 400 to 500; a short run from there to 600; and a marathon from 600 to the elite ranks.

At one time there was a moderator here named Victor, but Victor's username was LearningThisGame. I always liked that. It was and still is the truest thing we are all doing on this site.

In short, again, there's a lot of learning and adapting ahead for all of us. 😊

That's true in my opinion.

It's easier to play against good defensive players compared with a good offensive player.

Well, I think that anything any of us says comes from the level of our own experience. Yes, I would agree that a good attacking style is hard to have. For me it is extremely difficult, in fact. But I think the quality attacking style astros and Mr Smith are talking about differs from where IUB is currently playing by leaps of learning.

IUB is like a strong and brash young man who takes on all comers indiscriminately, wailing away joyfully as the freedom of his spirit carries him to do. It's great fun. The trouble is, in my estimation, that once the brash young man gets better he begins to run into knowledge--both from his opponents and himself. Now he is beginning to know all the ways he might get killed and starts to lose the verve and freshness he had in the beginning; he worries. Only when he works his way through this stage to a higher knowledge can anything like the free-spirited attacker he was in the beginning return.

Lots of players champion an attacking style and there's nothing wrong at all with it. I just think we have to differentiate between attacking that's closer to the lotto end of things versus attacking that's intelligent and backed by skill.

Astros, Mr Smith, Gary:  this is incredible joyful conversation. Thank you all friends. :)

• Lonello likes this

http://www.cimbom.gs The ultimate social network 

www.twitter.com/UfukBuyukozkaya

#30 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

Make that silver sergeant, while I sit back in the pathetic bronze.  :(

Edited by Fairway, 10 December 2015 - 11:24 AM.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#31 IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Make that silver sergeant, while I sit back in the pathetic bronze.  :(

You are better than me. Do not be in sorrow. You will get better and better. 

#32 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,368 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

Think of what maxroelofs says IUB and Fairway...

#33 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

You are better than me. Do not be in sorrow. You will get better and better. 

I may be better than you 1 on 1, but not overall. When I had the luck to beat you, I simply tried harder than I normally would b/c I was playing someone I knew. I for some reason can't get myself to play at that level vs. other random players. It just doesn't happen.

Edited by Fairway, 10 December 2015 - 09:36 PM.

• Lonello likes this

#34 IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:03 AM

I m now 373.  This is my peak point.

(I like to forum Shows our latest level. But i have to log out to Show actual level. When i did it, my profile Pictures lost suddenly. And i upload again new one.

-

I dont know whyi i cant upload anymore. I send a msg to Mick. I hope he'll solve my problem.

-

My new target is 400s before new year.

-

Good luck everybody. :)

• Lonello likes this

#35 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

My target is silver before the new year.

#36 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

Sometimes to move up it takes just learning some new tactics.  Ismail if you play enough you'll get to where you want with your ratings. 

I made my target of 800.  Thought I'd never get here when I seen some other players who I'm friends with fail to get 800 when they were in range several times.  Yesterday I was at 734 (was 1 point behind my personal best of 735 and incredibly I got 66 points in 5 matches and hit 800 on the nose.  I highly doubt I'll stay this high up for long, but still was amazing ride!

• GaryLShelton and sevenseas like this

#37 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

I may be better than you 1 on 1, but not overall. When I had the luck to beat you, I simply tried harder than I normally would b/c I was playing someone I knew. I for some reason can't get myself to play at that level vs. other random players. It just doesn't happen.

Confirmed. I just beat Tobermoryx. (658 ELO), but do you think I could just beat every random gold player I face? NO. 

#38 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

Sometimes to move up it takes just learning some new tactics.  Ismail if you play enough you'll get to where you want with your ratings. 

I made my target of 800.  Thought I'd never get here when I seen some other players who I'm friends with fail to get 800 when they were in range several times.  Yesterday I was at 734 (was 1 point behind my personal best of 735 and incredibly I got 66 points in 5 matches and hit 800 on the nose.  I highly doubt I'll stay this high up for long, but still was amazing ride!

Congrats! :D Now try and make 900! That is the real challenge. I, personally, can get above 900 for a little while but I usually fall back down, it is tough to maintain.
I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#39 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

(I like to forum Shows our latest level. But i have to log out to Show actual level. When i did it, my profile Pictures lost suddenly. And i upload again new one.

IUB, this is the same for everyone that I know of. If you exit out of the forum and sign back in, or sign in with a new device, you will have your rating updated, yes, but you will also lose your custom photo. It will revert back to the system one you most recently had. Then you must reload it again, or another pic of your choosing.

i77rs4m.jpg

#40 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,649 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

I made my target of 800. Thought I'd never get here when I seen some other players who I'm friends with fail to get 800 when they were in range several times. Yesterday I was at 734 (was 1 point behind my personal best of 735 and incredibly I got 66 points in 5 matches and hit 800 on the nose.

I'm crossing my fingers for that progression of the week title, Rob! 😊

i77rs4m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users