#41 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

yes that's what I though he should have captured the gen for the marsh but probably he could not exclude that my sergeant was a miner so he had to secure the case.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#42 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

This video https://youtu.be/EFYCUDpweQQ  is instructive for those who want to know how to lose a game after having gained all possible advantages, material advantage of 2 major piece, opponent's marsh blocked with the spy, opponent's accesses to your field blocked.
As you will see the right move should have been to bring back the captain around the spy until blocking path from upwards and downwards. So with one single captain you could have blocked marsh, miner and lieut. But in the heat of the battle sometimes you lose track of the priorities ... Lucky Sevenseas ... lol.

• tobermoryx, sevenseas and Fairway like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#43 SaintZ

SaintZ

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

This is what we call "lotto play"

What is your fastest win against lotto players? ... mine is 1:12 minute ... sorry but this game was so fast that I didn't have even time to ask permission to my opponent to put video on youtube .... at first request from him to do so I will remove it ...  :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

My record is 16 seconds. The enemy attacked my scout with his marshall and I took it with my spy. He surrendered only seconds after.

Btw that lotto vid made me chuckle! :D

Edited by SaintZ, 26 January 2016 - 01:53 PM.

Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.  :ph34r: 

#44 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,035 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

People keep saying that my game with Napoleon was such a bad game from my side, and ask me ''what's wrong with me'', talking to you here Fairway. :)

Let me explain:

Right at that moment of the game, I thought that his kolonel on the left side was covered by both his marshal and his spy, this is a trick Napoleon is familiar with. But what is the deciding thing is if it works out correctly. In this sittuation, I decide to take the major with my general, because I feel like his marshal is on the other side. I would say that is more of an estimated guess. IF it worked out correctly, then the game would have been pretty easy to finish for me I think. (Major ahead, a bit of info on the marshal, and another kolo you can try to trap.). But in this situation I turned out to be wrong about the marshal assumption, so I am down a general. This is the point in the game where you have to take some risk to gain a small piece advantage on your opponent, it again didn't work out for me. At that point you need at least a big piece to get back into the game, so the best option you have is lotto. 

I am not saying that Nap didn't play it well. Also not saying that I didn't lotto him, I am just saying that just because it didn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad play. :)

• Napoleon 1er and sevenseas like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#45 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,427 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

This video https://youtu.be/EFYCUDpweQQ  is instructive for those who want to know how to lose a game after having gained all possible advantages, material advantage of 2 major piece, opponent's marsh blocked with the spy, opponent's accesses to your field blocked.
As you will see the right move should have been to bring back the captain around the spy until blocking path from upwards and downwards. So with one single captain you could have blocked marsh, miner and lieut. But in the heat of the battle sometimes you lose track of the priorities ... Lucky Sevenseas ... lol.

Also, you could have taken his miner when he gave you the chance at 26:55.  The marshal would have killed the sergeant anyway if the miner had attacked it.  It was interesting that at the very end you might have been one square away from his flag, better to have moved the miner sooner instead of the marshal.  If defense is hopeless, attack is the only option.  Thanks for posting this.  Sevenseas was really able to visualize the whole bomb arrangment after he found the first two back row bombs.  

#46 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,250 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

People keep saying that my game with Napoleon was such a bad game from my side, and ask me ''what's wrong with me'', talking to you here Fairway. :)

Let me explain:

Right at that moment of the game, I thought that his kolonel on the left side was covered by both his marshal and his spy, this is a trick Napoleon is familiar with. But what is the deciding thing is if it works out correctly. In this sittuation, I decide to take the major with my general, because I feel like his marshal is on the other side. I would say that is more of an estimated guess. IF it worked out correctly, then the game would have been pretty easy to finish for me I think. (Major ahead, a bit of info on the marshal, and another kolo you can try to trap.). But in this situation I turned out to be wrong about the marshal assumption, so I am down a general. This is the point in the game where you have to take some risk to gain a small piece advantage on your opponent, it again didn't work out for me. At that point you need at least a big piece to get back into the game, so the best option you have is lotto. 

I am not saying that Nap didn't play it well. Also not saying that I didn't lotto him, I am just saying that just because it didn't work out, doesn't mean it was a bad play. :)

I never though I'd see a player as respectable as the great Maxroelofs lotto. I was kinda surprised the way you lost your marsh.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#47 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,427 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

I never though I'd see a player as respectable as the great Maxroelofs lotto. I was kinda surprised the way you lost your marsh.

All of the best players lotto sometimes, as there are times when it is the best option available.   It has nothing to do with being respectable, it's about calculating risk vs. reward, and weighing your chance of winning if you don't lotto.  So the key is to know in what circumstances to lotto and also to recognize when your opponent is likely to do so in order to know if your unmoved piece should pretend to be a bomb or run for safety.

Edited by The Prof, 27 January 2016 - 12:49 AM.

• maxroelofs, sevenseas, Fairway and 1 other like this

#48 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 748 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

Also, you could have taken his miner when he gave you the chance at 26:55.  The marshal would have killed the sergeant anyway if the miner had attacked it. 

I thought this was the fatal error when i watched the game , especially as it would have been a lot of trouble for Sevenseas to get another Miner down .

Though maybe Napoleon by not using the Sergeant could have convinced Sevenseas that it was the bomb to the left of the flag , and that the piece above was a Sergeant guarding it . Then Sevenseas may have lottod the bomb instead.

#49 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:22 AM

Hey Napoleon,

I would like to play you for a recorded game? =)

I have no idea what that thing under my avatar is. I've always liked stickers

#50 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

Here it is. My first friendly game against Moriarty from today ... For those who like "ACTION" since begin. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/FeaKil2ihAA

#51 strangeplayer

strangeplayer

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

I would really like to watch the game but unfortunately the video is "private".

#52 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,250 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

I would really like to watch the game but unfortunately the video is "private".

Confirm. It is unviewable

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#53 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

should be ok now

#54 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:02 AM

-

Edited by Moriarty, 17 February 2016 - 12:07 AM.

#55 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

Here it is. My first friendly game against Moriarty from today ... For those who like "ACTION" since begin. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/FeaKil2ihAA

Sadly my secret setup is out in the open now. Gg nonetheless. I usually pride myself on being able to guess bluffs easily, but I lost my general on that one. Then I guessed his general would be on opposite side of the board, so I attacked captain in middle. Not my best game. We will have rematch soon Napoleon :)

#56 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,035 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

Sadly my secret setup is out in the open now. Gg nonetheless. I usually pride myself on being able to guess bluffs easily, but I lost my general on that one. Then I guessed his general would be on opposite side of the board, so I attacked captain in middle. Not my best game. We will have rematch soon Napoleon :)

it is nonsense that you can guess a bluff when the game is only 20 moves old.

• sevenseas and Master Mind like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#57 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

it is nonsense that you can guess a bluff when the game is only 20 moves old.

I am sorry but that is how I play.

#58 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

That is why none of us think you are an 850 player.

• sevenseas and Master Mind like this
3 - 0

#59 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:15 AM

I do not have a personal problem with him. He opened a thread to discuss the topic twice. He has repeatedly denied accusations that are looking increasingly true. At the very least customer cares seems to have given him back way to many points. He is free to play however he wants but when he wants to claim he got to a certain level that he clearly is not at without exploits that is frustrating. Furthermore, he has misrepresented what I have said to him in private messages to to other players so that adds to my frustration.

No one has verbally attack Moriarty as person. No lines have been crossed. Players have only questioned the validity of his ranking. However, this probably is getting out of hand. I will remove myself from this conversation and let the admins sort it out. If it turns out he has not exploited the system I will admit I was wrong and apologize.

Edited by GaryLShelton, 17 February 2016 - 06:02 PM.
Removal of Losermaker quote at his request

• maxroelofs and texaspete09 like this
3 - 0

#60 Moriarty

Moriarty

Major

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

I do not have a personal problem with him. He opened a thread to discuss the topic twice. He has repeatedly denied accusations that are looking increasingly true. At the very least customer cares seems to have given him back way to many points. He is free to play however he wants but when he wants to claim he got to a certain level that he clearly is not at without exploits that is frustrating. Furthermore, he has misrepresented what I have said to him in private messages to to other players so that adds to my frustration.

No one has verbally attack Moriarty as person. No lines have been crossed. Players have only questioned the validity of his ranking. However, this probably is getting out of hand. I will remove myself from this conversation and let the admins sort it out. If it turns out he has not exploited the system I will admit I was wrong and apologize.

It seems to me like you are the main accuser here. Surprisingly you challenged me to evaluate me. I did not step back but accpeted the challenge. Then I beat you fair in the game. You still rated my ELO at 600. Why is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users