Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Dear stratego fans,

I have the pleasure to share with you my first video from this morning's game against Lonello. Video has been recorded at double speed so a 60 minutes game can finally be visualized within only 30 minutes. I wanted to put some music on but apparently you cannot do it that easily on youtube due to IP rights (but anybody has some tips how I can put music on just let me know).

Hope you will enjoy it and learn (or laugh ... :D !!!) from my mistakes. Feel free to comment on it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XcciG7bIdlI

Napoleon 1er

• SymmeTric and JCalla5373 like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#2 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

Nice!

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#3 texaspete09

texaspete09

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

Watching it right now!

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#4 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:18 AM

I really enjoyed that game, thank you for sharing! :)

I am interested in knowing your reasoning for picking the c1 square at the endgame. I would have chosen for column d personally. From Lonello's point of view, moving f1 leaves e1 more vulnerable to miners if that was the flag, and moving e2 leaves both e1 and d1 vulnerable if they were the flag(s).  

I hope my nonsense makes sense. I know my endgame isn't that good but it's interesting to debate these things :)

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#5 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:47 AM

I really enjoyed that game, thank you for sharing! :)

I am interested in knowing your reasoning for picking the c1 square at the endgame. I would have chosen for column d personally. From Lonello's point of view, moving f1 leaves e1 more vulnerable to miners if that was the flag, and moving e2 leaves both e1 and d1 vulnerable if they were the flag(s).  

I hope my nonsense makes sense. I know my endgame isn't that good but it's interesting to debate these things :)

It does. :-)

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

Reason why i choose c1 is because he had his marsh in a2 ( thus i thought flag could be in a1 or close to there) and because he left his last col for a long time in c2, like if he wanted to protect c1. Furthermore when i was moving a miner from a1 to a2 he did not hesitate to exchange his 4th miner ... making me believe this c1 piece was extremely important. Additionnally when somebody has open flag you have to consider the flag is in the less predictable position( at least if you play experienced players like Lo)

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

IsmailUfukBuyukozkaya

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

Watched and enjoyed. :)

http://www.cimbom.gs The ultimate social network 

www.twitter.com/UfukBuyukozkaya

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

Watched game also. Solid game. Good patient techniques applied all around.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#9 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,666 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Wow, hadn't seen it yet, you were fast putting it online.

Loving that full colonel I got there ;). But major mistake was to forget your captain, which was your last, 4th, one, and one I had scouted, so very expensive and costly to lose it in your shuffles -_- <_< :angry:.

Funny indeed to see those draw requests end up badly. A real mistake in the programming. You lost 1, and me too there :(.

Lo

#10 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:31 PM

Had a nice friendly game against Sevenseas. Hope you will enjoy it. This is first game where both players are publishing a video. There are a few very good moves on both sides. Mine has been recorded at double speed so it takes about 32 minutes to watch it.

https://youtu.be/NPqnntAGDyk

Have fun on stratego.com!!!

Napoleon 1er

• Kernel Mustard likes this

#11 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 666 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

did you refuse the draw because it was an unranked game?

He had Marshal, 3-1 miners and knew all your pieces

#12 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

Yes if it would have been ranked or tt i would probably have accepted the draw.
But as the area of his field which was left for me was empty and most likely he had 2 bombs above each other behind lake left i could block any moves for him (except marsh) with my col and lieut and spy. This should have left me bring a miner from all left. But i made a big confusion ... i thought he still had a seargeant for one less miner. If i would not have confused this i would have exchanged my lieut for his last sergeant when i could do it. This would have left me with 1 more miner and 1 serg .
  • sevenseas likes this

#13 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

Tobermoryx, sometimes it's not as simple as to what pieces the other player has in determining whether something is a draw. I had the marshal and extra miners but things weren't 100% clear for a while, well they weren't to me anyway. :)

---

Until Napoleon started to move his colonel and spy upwards I'm pretty sure it was a draw, though. Of course Napoleon can bring in a spy to block my marshal moves but you only had 1 guess with miner should you have got past. I didn't want to move any more miners in my position until I was confident I could break through, as that would reveal my flag position. Also, Napoleon could be annoying with his spy, block some squares from my marshal and maybe even get my flag (which would be bad!)

I was hoping my moves in the middlegame were making him think my flag was behind the lake not in the corner (plus, in the corner is slightly more unusual than behind the lake at a higher level). 

I offered the draw at that point because I didn't think either of us could break through. I guess I was wrong. However, it was a very tense and challenging game for me. I enjoyed it very much, and I hope you (Napoleon) did too! :)

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

one more video. This time against Carlo Magno. Good game to learn the phases of a stratego game:

1) Gather information about your opponent's setup and movable pieces

2) Analyze this information to understand his strategy

3) Prepare and organize your attack

4) Attack

https://youtu.be/TF9YqJwPgNM

hope you will enjoy

• Mr. Smith likes this

#15 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

Nice game.

#16 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

I enjoyed this game. Thank you for sharing, Napoleon. You are right this game could be very helpful for those who need help on planning a midgame attack to breakthrough the defenses. :)

But sadly what an unsportsmanlike ending, it was a shame as the game was going well. Is there any chance this player could get a warning or temporary ban under the new proposed disconnector rules?

#17 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,200 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Thx for the video Napoleon.
I agree with sevenseas and it is shame that this player also joins tournaments and additionaly has bad history with no shows.
Maybe a temporarily banning from all kind of tournaments in future , will help him to change his behavior.
This is a screenshot from a game with me , months ago, in which it is proved that he is a habitual disconnector.

aRTUOnY.png

• sevenseas likes this

#18 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

He's a rude guy. I remember him calling me "maricon" before (you can google the english translation)

518b51_maricon.png

Also, thank you for sharing the game, Napoleon. I'm sure this example can help players to improve their skills in the late game. You did really well, but I also think Carlo made it very easy for you because he didn't put his marshall back in his defense lines.

Edited by Mr. Smith, 21 October 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#19 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,868 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Frankly i cannot claim for real unsportsmanlike behaviour because he disconnected in this game instead of surrender. I can understand he was pissed off my gen took 1 col 2 majors 1 lieut 1 miner and 2 scouts ... all this smiling at his marsh who was always in diagonal...
He made a big mistake to let his marsh get revealed while having alot of moved pieces all in the same area of the board ... i'm happy if he learned something...
Also for those who watched the video ... my setup with the col in the middle with marsh and spy to protect him is a trap that i frequently uses. Some players are tempted to catch him coming with marsh and gen ... both would get lost if they were to capture this col. Only solution to get this col is coming with gen and spy ... up to now with probably more than 100 games played with that col in the middle only one player got it right, about 20% got it wrong and the rest didn't get it. This "temptating" col in middle allows me but to discover marsh or gen or both and opens me some free paths on right or left with my other col or gen while leaving my marsh unknown. Thats'why this setup has been quite successful for me in the last months. Now almost all players know it and i have to change ... unfortunately.

#20 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

I use that trick a lot, but it seems that nobody ever falls for it.  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users