#41 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Just over a week remains to register for WinterTourn 2018.

http://forum.strateg...8-registration/

As things stand, the notable absence of the majority of the so-called elite presents a glorious opportunity for the 27 participants registered so far.

#42 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think one of the "elite" has already signed up, what are you talking about?! :)

Please hold on, my Marshal is about to move.

#43 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think one of the "elite" has already signed up, what are you talking about?! :)

... yes ... you are right ... but I'm the only one! :D

• Unladen Swallow likes this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#44 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

You misquoted me ;-)

#45 Wogomite

Wogomite

Miner

• NASF Committee
  • 181 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 2 weeks ago

If I may, there has been one elite player to sign up for this tournament thus far.
  • Unladen Swallow likes this

#46 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

The number of registrations for WinterTourn 2018 has now reached 41, with 5 Apex players now involved.

Notably there are 11 new players who are making their individual TC debut, which is always nice to see.

Registration closes in 38 hours

http://forum.strateg...8-registration/

#47 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,458 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

WinterTourn Preview

Only the most courageous warriors sign up for WinterTourn - those willing to brave the extreme cold and put their lives on the line. Chilliness around the board area can often cause brain freeze, and last year sub-zero temperatures were recorded in almost every match.

With the WinterTourn 2018 draw now released by TC (http://challonge.com/WinterTourn2018) we can take a cheeky look...

The A-Listers

Of this year's crop of hopefuls, 5 already have a place secured in the Pyramid's top rung, and the local media have been referring to them as A-Listers - presumably in an attempt to drive ticket sales. Losermaker and Grizzlybear both drew a bye in R1, but could potentially meet each other in the Last 16. texaspete09 in particular will be looking to prevent that from occurring, should he get past stamen feson. As if he needs any help, Hielco also has a bye. He will play either Spaher or Master Mind in R2 and could avoid other A-Listers until the Quarter Finals - where he would meet playa1. Last year's champion has a tricky path to get there though - he will have to condemn both KARAISKAKIS and Napoleon 1er to Rehab. Unladen Swallow is the sole A-Lister in the lowest quarter of the draw, but has Henry domerkant and don mitsos 'hanging around and looking ominous' (according to a dishevelled onlooker)

The Ladies

The mens and womens facilities at WinterTourn are not exemplary, but they are of equal size. This means queenbee1 and Kambia get 4.5 sofas and 3 TVs each. Not so lucky on the draw though - they meet Aris1970 and malcom.jansen respectively.

The Debutants

14 of the 47 heroes in WinterTourn are playing in their first TC (individual) tournament. In the only all-debutant clash schulmeister meets jimmys13, whilst there are baptisms of fire for macedoniagr (v leppie) and PHAETHON (v Unladen Swallow). vspy13 has the opportunity to book a family re-union in R2 (should he manage to overcome IOLAUS1926) with ELISSASIOS-GR, while elsewhere Vasileios Nyxtas meets FGP_ (for the chance to play Fks) and raffeke takes on The (re-branded) Achaean.

The other 5 debutants have a free first week to wander around the WinterTourn grounds. To be honest, there's not much to do - so they'll probably familiarise themselves with the battlefields and watch their potential opponent play in R1. Mind they don't scout set-ups though - eagle-eyed staff are on the lookout for anyone with a pen and notepad. Geo_Tsarpista will face Luckypapa or pasxalistz, and fighter68 will meet roeczak or morias. GrShark already knows his R2 date - a curiousity of there being 47 warriors - it's josephwhite

capt.gunter played on metaforge many moons ago, and finally returns from the Stratego wilderness to meet Major Nelson - the prize being a second round date with hellinon

-----

That's all for now dear readers.

• FGP_, Major Nelson, Fks and 1 other like this

#48 Wogomite

Wogomite

Miner

• NASF Committee
  • 181 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted A week ago

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

#49 Wogomite

Wogomite

Miner

• NASF Committee
  • 181 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted A week ago

Seat #9 and the very following match would have been very appropriate to see in the quarter or even semi-finals. It's a little disappointing to see two of these caliber players leave from up top that early on. It will however make the consolation bracket a mine zone!
http://challonge.com/WinterTourn2018

Some of you that thought this tournamnet will be an easy one, you may be right as long as you keep winning. Another one or two upsets and one might consider the consolation bracket as tough as the champions bracket after round three is over. The anticipation to see the latter half of this tournamnet begs for pop corn... kind of like ouwesoks post yesterday.
http://i0.kym-cdn.co...897/363/8c8.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users