#1 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:34 PM

A warm welcome to the WinterTourn Weekly, the place to catch up on the latest news, gossip and outright lies.

Reaction to the Draw

The WinterTourn Brackets have recently been announced and here at the Wintertourn Weekly we take a cheeky look ahead...

Luckypapa is struggling to live up to his name after drawing playa1 in a repeat of last year’s battle. At least this presents the fortunate father with an opportunity for revenge - a dish often quoted to be at its best when cold.

Some critics are already citing foul play in response to the bye received by TheOptician. ‘A bye for a TC member - What are the chances?’ one of our reporters asked TC direct. After trying to avoid our advances, cflag managed to give us an answer – ‘28%’. The TC member clearly looked worried, perhaps this is due to the deafening amount of noise currently being made around player changing rooms by the army of Scottrussia.

An intriguing possibility lies ahead as TheMaestro and KARAISKAKIS will meet each other should they achieve the same result. These two have previously left their love for each other behind in the battlefield dressing room but an anonymous source recently reported seeing them out together for a pizza (if anyone is interested - Four Seasons)

Elsewhere MT heavyweights collide when Lonello takes on Napoleon1er, and high ELO combinations are involved in the meetings of maxroelofs v don mitsos, and spyros77 v leppie. With a Division 1 invitation within reach after an impressive showing in the Spring Tournament and Mid-Year Divisions, Greek star Nikos1972 faces up to sevenseas in what is arguably the pick of the round.

It's great to be underway at WInterTourn. With the Online WC already in full flow, this year's winter certainly does not look bleak...

• KARAISKAKIS, maxroelofs and Aris1970 like this

#2 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,906 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi all

Is everybody ready for the duels? If you need mental and tactical preparation just get inspired by these 2 guys ...

https://youtu.be/BdK0jaLuJL8

...have fun!!!
  • Aris1970, cflag and sevenseas like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#3 Aris1970

Aris1970

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

An intriguing possibility lies ahead as TheMaestro and KARAISKAKIS will meet each other should they achieve the same result. These two have previously left their love for each other behind in the battlefield dressing room but an anonymous source recently reported seeing them out together for a pizza (if anyone is interested - Four Seasons)

KARAISKAKIS  take video  :D

like this...(my first game) ..... Aris1970  vs. Eagle77  ;)

#4 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

Dearest and most loyal readers, we would like to draw your attention to the Cold Winter Snap Competition which is running for the WinterTourn. You can find out more below:

http://forum.strateg...ap-competition/

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:36 PM

The Friday Night Thought

As we head into the first weekend of WinterTourn, 16 of 24 games have been played, with 5 scheduled and the remaining 3 currently unarranged. Only the Spaniard Carlo Magno has yet to make his forum presence known - local bookmaker Dekaeneas-Spy is offering 4/7 on a no-show... Tomorrow Sgt. Blkdog takes on Ianmac after Lonello and Napoleon1er play their re-match.

There was drama and much amusement earlier today when members of MT and TC clashed over the punishment handed out to Lonello. Here at the WinterTourn Weekly we are amazed at mentions of powerplays, infringements and yellow cards - have these individuals completely lost all perspective? Do they forget the most important thing about this game we love? Need I remind you, dearest readers, that the reason we love this game is purely because we can tell little cartoons with numbers where to move to next. 

• cflag and Fairway like this

#6 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:50 AM

powerplays

how would powerplays even work?

#7 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

Round 2 Preview

The Stratego Gods have decided to pull out some absolute crackers in Round 2 of the Premier Bracket. We can honestly say that in at least half of the games it is impossible to distinguish the favourite from the underdog, an unusual occurrence with 32 players still in the top half of the competition.

Our eye is drawn firstly to the South-East Corner and Sohal v OverLord_98, where the veteran and the new generation of Strategists collide... Jump over the WinterRiver to the other side of the Bracket and we have a battle between Eagle77 and Aris1970. Now 77 may be by far the most popular number to end with these days, but which Greek powerhouse will be popular and whose Premier Bracket journey will come to an end? Oh yeah, and we also have Grizzlybaer v Nikos1972 and Spaher v playa1 in the same quarter of the draw. And um, Hielco. We wonder at the Wintertourn Weekly whether the winner will work a way to winning from this wing?

Enough W's, let's head north to the Snowy Mountains of the Upper Bracket. Gorgsari v KARAISKAKIS will be tough to call, while Noblevillain takes on Leppie with our friends at the Cold Snap Competition featuring the game (http://forum.strateg...ap-competition/).

The remaining quarter of the bracket is perhaps the place to be this Winter, presenting an opportunity for someone to sneak through the tournament under the radar. Both Sgt. Blkdog and josephwhite will be hoping to be that sneaker, but will have to knock the other out to become, as I said, that sneaker.

Oh dear readers, what would you do without us here at the Weekly?

• maxroelofs and cflag like this

#8 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Αnyone interested in the game Maxroelofs vs Mr.Smith can watch it here:https://www.youtube....h?v=EhT4QggQBzo

member of ΣΕΡΡΕΣ STRATEGO team

#9 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,251 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

I can't believe Sevenseas lost twice in a row and is already out of the tourney!

BTW, nice game between Max and Mr. Smith.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#10 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

The Friday Night Thought

Here at the Weekly we know that the pressure of tournament games is starting to take its toll, but what is happening to simple etiquette at WInterTourn? Usually the place where Stratego lovers flock to see great sports(wo)manship, first we had a disconnection in a post-tournament rematch (albeit a friendly), then a player blocking chat ability (yes, it could have been a glitch) followed by two separate post-game comments which appeared to be cases of sour grapes. Poor internet connections can't be blamed on one's opponent and obviously no-one loves being lotted successfully, but this brings us to an interesting point of debate. Is avoiding 'lotto' not its own skill? When wounding an animal, surely players must be prepared for the inevitable repercussions? If I take a strike at a wasp, I make sure not to do so with my kids in the immediate vicinity! We wonder at the weekly how often Hielco gets lotted on the counter-attack? We also wonder how long it will take scottrussia to write into the Weekly proclaiming that 'there is no lotto'. (We agree with you of course scott, here at the Weekly...)

Luckily there are still some good manners out there. Losermaker exemplified what it is to be sporting when he showed respect regardless of whether it was deserved, and Spaher gave a lesson in how to respond to a defeat. Whatever next at WinterTourn, dear readers?

• maxroelofs, scottrussia and cflag like this

#11 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

I can't believe Sevenseas lost twice in a row and is already out of the tourney!

BTW, nice game between Max and Mr. Smith.

Neither can I! :D

Lotto is part of the game but I prefer losing by skill rather than silly luck on my opponent's part. I also prefer playing the tactical game too  :)

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#12 astros

astros

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Lotto is part of the game but I prefer losing by skill rather than silly luck on my opponent's part. I also prefer playing the tactical game too :)

You did not play well after the one lotto I made. You did not lose because I made one lotto, you lost because you played poorly after I made it.

3 - 0

#13 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,251 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

Neither can I! :D

Apparently, Astros earned it and played well. I did see something about a lotto, though.

Not that there's anything wrong with lottos, just that you can win without skill and by luck.

Hopefully, Sevenseas, you'll do better in the next tourney. Hopefully I have better luck, too. 

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#14 Losermaker

Losermaker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

Edited by Losermaker, 24 November 2015 - 11:08 AM.

• TheOptician, cflag and texaspete09 like this

#15 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,251 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Losermaker and Karaiskakis will probably be the best game of the next round, followed by Max and Zoografos.

#16 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,199 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:04 AM

The Sunday Slice

Well it's been a very quiet week at WinterTourn. You could even hear the scribbling of stratego set-ups on paper as participants relaxed in the players lounge, only occasionally interrupted by the roar from Centre Court as a General found a bomb. So quiet in fact that a number of players even forgot to turn up - and even these uncommon events barely caused a stir.

WinterTourn?  Or WhisperTourn....

#17 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Today Wed 4/11 is a very active day, with scheduled 6 games

For PB on 14.00 Hielco vs Aris 1970,

on 16.00 Zoografos vs Maxroelofs and on 18.00 B.E.M.HCS vs Josephwhite.

Meanwhile the same time(18.00) for the RHB

MONJE vs Dutchkillers and Moghedien vs MIMIS69.

Last match on 20.00 Spaher vs 2^2

We wish all participants gl and have fun.

#18 texaspete09

texaspete09

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:01 AM

I then decided to play this tourney game like M2C plays tourneys, based on "Its very unlikely that they put that piece there, so if it is that piece then they deserve to win".

Haha, I tell myself this all the time.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#19 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

Αnyone interested in the game Scottrussia vs Mr.Smith can watch it here:https://www.youtube....h?v=rpo2Aw85_sc

• maxroelofs, Aris1970, Napoleon 1er and 2 others like this

#20 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Mr Smith and his army met their fate 100 kilometers south of his former capital!!  He thought that his desert would protect him, but our army marched through it like a walk in the park!!!  We then seized the high ground on his right flank and punished the center of his army until he realized defeat was certain!!!

Mr Smith capture our marshall, but he didn't realize that Spartan Warriors don't care about rank, ELO, and other such nonsense!!!  The attack continued unabated and led to a great Spartan Warrior Victory!!

The whole world should now know what happens when you mock the Spartan Warrior Army!!!!! 

Mr Leppie, your ally has succumb and you need to act quickly to avoid the coming doom!!!  Surrender your kingdom, save your people and your own skin!!!!

• Napoleon 1er, cflag, Mr. Smith and 3 others like this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users