BLeonard

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

This may or may not be a bug, but currently, my record is 14 wins, 4 losses and 0 draws.

I just got accepted yesterday and have only played against the computer. During games I have played, I have 2 losses, not 4.

Now, there was an instance where I clicked for a "ranked match" against another person (this was right after I signed in and just really seeing what everything did). I didn't play against anyone and left the room without even setting up any pieces. That could account for one of the losses, but the other one, I can't explain.

I really couldn't care less about the record, so please don't take this as me complaining. I know that, on some online games, once you get to a certain point, leaving the game or disconnecting gives the player a loss (which, by the way, I think is a great idea to discourage "pulling").

But, I guess I figured that this point would at least be after you set your pieces up to actually start a game.

I guess the main question is, where is the "point of no return" on playing games against other players and playing against the computer? At what point does you leaving the game count as a loss and is it different for human vs human and human vs computer games?

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so if it is, I apologize. But, if it isn't, I do feel that it should be displayed so that people know where that "point of no return" is. Otherwise, this could be an issue once more people start playing, since some likely will care about their record a lot more than I do.

-Bill

#2 M-D

M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hi BLeonard,

Currently the moment you enter a game (when you see the 'versus' screen, where you see your opponents details), the game is 'Started'. So from that point, leaving will count as a loss. In ranked matches leaving at any point after you've been matched, will also lower you rating.

When playing against the computer the game is started the moment you see the actual game board. We're currently discussing whether or not we actually want to count computers games towards your wins / losses / ratio, so this might change in the future.

Hope that clarifies the way we count wins & losses.

As for your track record, one of the losses is indeed because you left a ranked match after you were matched. As for the other one, maybe you left a game against the computer?

#3 BLeonard

BLeonard

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

That's fine. As I said, I was matched with someone when I really was just exploring the website for the first time. Just wanted to know where the "point of no return" was.

So, in short, from what I'm reading, once you're matched in 1 vs 1, you're locked into the game, even if you leave before setting your pieces. But, in 1 vs computer, you're not locked in until you've set your pieces and are actually in the game.

Like I said, not a huge issue, just wanted to know where those points were. I do think it should be posted somewhere, though, so that everyone knows and isn't flooding the boards with complaints.

Quite possible that I left a game against the computer, don't remember doing it, but it's possible. Again, not a huge issue, just wanted to know where the cutoffs were. Thanks!

-Bill

#4 RobMackle

RobMackle

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

I would ask for the developers not to incude CPU games in win/loss ratio, or have a separate CPU stat. Just cos CPU games are best for trying out random stuff that inevitably fails.

#5 M-D

M-D

Game Developer

• Administrators
  • 124 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi RobMackle,

We stopped already counting AI games in the 2.0.2296 update :).

#6 RobMackle

RobMackle

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Woop!

#7 divedevil

divedevil

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Why not create a separate stats for vs computer games. There a lot player out there that are not into online gaming but like a cool stratego game...and keep track of their progress.

#8 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

@Divedevil : How can you keep track of your progress when you're only playing the computer?
The computer never progresses and will always play the same so it doesn't bring you progress at all.
If you really want to improve your game, you gotta play ranked games against other opponents.
Only then you will play better and the more you play, the more chance of getting better.
And the really cool games are always those against other opponents. Even more cool is it to play a real top opponent (bronze marshall or silver players) because against those people you really learn how to play and what to do in certain circumstances.

Grtz

Trickz
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I agree with Divedevil to the point that wins/loss record vs a computer should be serparate from human games. I play all of my games vs humans and I would like to know if the player I'm facing is someone who plays vs humans too or just the computer. If they are a just a computer player for the most part, I may alter my game setup to reflect that.

#10 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Midnightguy, you can always check if they are a computerplayer or not,......just look to their ranking.
Computermatches don't earn elo-points.
So for instance, if someone has 144 wins and 45 losses and his ranking is 131,.....then you know enough :)

#11 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

What does ELO stand for? As far as I knew ELO was Electric Lights Orchestra Band.

#12 divedevil

divedevil

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

@trickz, not everybody is crazy for online gaming. I like a game of stratego to chill, sometimes play against another opponent. But I am sure there are more like me who mainly play against the cpu. So a little bit more variation in this part would go a long way ;-)

#13 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

if you wanna play against the cpu, fine,...........i just don't get what's so fun about it
this is a typical one versus another game, no cpu's, robots or other crap

at least, that's my opinion :)

#14 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

Here are the Points scored for the Autumn Tournament as well as the total for 2014 (CL and Autumn Tournament together). These total points are of importance for the next Tournament, the Stratego Masters 2014. For more information on that please go to: http://forum.strateg...ns-who-and-how/

Will soon be back with an update on the December Divisions (including the Stratego Master 2014). Very busy working on it now    ;)

Attached Files

• Dekaeneas-Spy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users