Photo

How Many People are Playing on the New App?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#121 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,831 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:35 AM

and the old app (for me it is old because I am KICKED OUT of the good old app)

I feel your pain. I'm in the same position. 😢
  • Moghedien likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#122 ajax123

ajax123

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Airs what can we to to get back the old and original app of stratego, if not I cannot play anymore.

#123 ajax123

ajax123

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

Sorry I mean Aris
  • Aris1970 likes this

#124 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Guys

Please consider that this is the official site of stratego. Most of us have made huge efforts to create the most active stratego community ever in this site, we have spend thousands of hours to built a good system for playing the game in both fun and competitive way , we have covered all the weak points with solutions by ourselves and good organisation. Admins and youda must respect our opinion and listen to our voice. Leaving now this site will destroy everything we have done all these difficult years.

Of course if they want to destroy this , they can do it anytime and very easily, but I think that they are smart people and they will avoid this disaster.

Only thing we must do all of us (and especially these people who already play in new app) is to post our opinion and our preference.

Until now noone want to play with new app , at least as it looks now.

Years of activity on the forum =/= being able to make design decisions

MickM is putting into effect the new app, right?

Not directly, but we do listen to your feedback :)

I prefer the current piece art. 

Good to hear Astros! Thank you :)

I talked to a lot of stratego masters, Ex: Sevenseas, and they said that they will leave the site once the new app it put into effect. If you want to keep your players, do not put into effect the new app. Keep it as it is. Everyone loves it that way. IF you do this, 

1) You will keep your players

2) The players will be happy

3) You will be happy because you have players

If you do not:

1) other websites will get more players

2) players will leave

3) remaining players will think about leaving

4) Everyone doesn't like the website

5) You don't get many new players

6) You aren't happy because you have no players

7) Everything is a disaster for the site and it falls apart

8) stratego.com is no more.

I love this website and this game, but please, if you want to keep your players, do not force us to get the new app. Not one person I have talked to supports it.  It would be much better to keep it where it is.

If people wish to leave and move on, we're sorry to see them leave, but that is their decision.

In the end, we cannot make everyone happy. No game company can.

It's for little kids who can't even play the game.  The ones that put their flag in the front row with the spy.

You can decide where to place your flag though...

However, I've seen the world champion place his flag in the front row once, and he won. Anything can happen :)

my son plays only with new app,I believe in these age groups it will have success. :)

We see a lot of success there as well, yeah!

It is quite simple then. The new app for children and the old app (for me it is old because I am KICKED OUT of the good old app) for us. What is wrong with that, it cannot be too difficult can it?

It is very simple indeed. The new app is for all ages! ;)

If I am reading it correctly to retain the old graphics/pieces u got to pay 600 battle coins.

I think this must go down as one of the worst ever marketing move in the history of mankind to penalize veterans of the game.

Instead of addressing some critical issues affecting the game, and not creating a subscriber-only clean ranking that eliminates multiple accounts.

U cannot just focus on "children". Their monies/allowances come from parents. If the adults lose interest, the children will not get to play too. And the real world champions in stratego is adults.

You are correct!

We wanted a fresh new look, but because some people still liked the old style, we found a way for players to enjoy them through the usage of battlecoins.

Don't try to see this as punishment, but as a cool oportunity!

Posted Image

#125 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

We don't want to pay for something we already have. At least make it, like, 300 coins or something.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#126 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

You can decide where to place your flag though...

However, I've seen the world champion place his flag in the front row once, and he won. Anything can happen :)

The champion of what? The worst player in stratego?  ;)

#127 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Good to hear Astros! Thank you :)

I think he means the piece art on the old app because that is the one he has.

#128 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

We don't want to pay for something we already have. At least make it, like, 300 coins or something.

You don't have it. The old version had it. This one hasn't.

But you can buy it :)

The champion of what? The worst player in stratego?  ;)

World champion of Stratego in fact. His tactic is called the Shoreline Bluff. Look it up ;)

Posted Image

#129 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

You don't have it. The old version had it. This one hasn't.

But you can buy it :)

I hate to say it, but this response sums up the aggravation of a lot of forum members. By including features for a fee instead of making them accessible free of charge software developers don't make a lot friends among the most frequent users of this website, especially if the complaints are so widely shared by those users. You can put as many smileys as you like but in the end it will just push the serious players away from this website. I hope you understand that will be the end to a money making scheme like this, which is apparently your main way of looking at this website, judging from the post above.

By the way, I noticed another sad "feature" in the new app: according to the graveyards there are only 7 scouts in the game for both players. How many battle coins should we expect to pay when this is possibly restored to the actual 8 scouts that have always been and still are present in the game?

Edited by tomato123456, 09 November 2015 - 02:45 PM.

#130 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

We wanted a fresh new look, but because some people still liked the old style, we found a way for players to enjoy them through the usage of battlecoins.

Don't try to see this as punishment, but as a cool oportunity!

This should to be the actual poll !!!
New App  vs.  Old App (with changes like Implementing all the square rules in a correct way, ability choice settings (free / bufer / a clock), history games for all players  etc.)

and no New App  vs.  Old App

Edited by Aris1970, 09 November 2015 - 02:59 PM.

• KARAISKAKIS likes this

#131 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

I hate to say it, but this response sums up the aggravation of a lot of forum members. By including features for a fee instead of making them accessible free of charge software developers don't make a lot friends among the most frequent users of this website, especially if the complaints are so widely shared by those users. You can put as many smileys as you like but in the end it will just push the serious players away from this website. I hope you understand that will be the end to a money making scheme like this, which is apparently your main way of looking at this website, judging from the post above.

By the way, I noticed another sad "feature" in the new app: according to the graveyards there are only 7 scouts in the game for both players. How many battle coins should we expect to pay when this is possibly restored to the actual 8 scouts that have always been and still are present in the game?

It's not really a scheme if we're very open about it :)
And just because 19 out of thousands of other players don't like something, doesn't mean we should do everything they say...

The scout-amount is supposed to be 8. Do you have a screenshot of the error you claim to see?

New App  vs.  Old App (with changes like Implementing all the square rules in a correct way, ability choice settings (free / bufer / a clock), history games for all players  etc.)

Feel free to make a new poll :)

Posted Image

#132 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

A lot of players need to realize that developing an app and hosting a server costs money. Many of us have played hundred or thousands of games at no cost for years. There were time when there was no development team and at time's the sties future seemed in doubt. If no one is making money off the site there is little reason for them to keep the servers up and running. The new development team is a positive for this site as they are actively working on it.

The new app only implements UI changes it does not break the game. If you want to keep the old piece art pay 600 BC. Welcome to the real world stuff costs money and we have been getting this site largely free for years.

An idea for Mick you could offer the old UI app as Stratego Classic for a fee and not provide any support for it. Players could choose to use this version until they were satisfied with the new app. This would make money, placate many concerns and migrate players to the new app.

A few things I would like to see in the new app:

1. I am not a fan of the ads. If accidentally clicked they can cause the game to be aborted, resulting in a loss for the player. Most apps that charge a fee do not have ads and the cost to remove them for a year is more than the app itself. This annoys me as a consumer. If I am paying for a premium app I do not want ads. My understanding was that these types of ads made very little revenue. I do not know the specifics for this site.

2. I would like the ability to create setups outside of a game in the app. There is no option to do so currently.

3. I would like to see an upgraded server. The player base has grown which is great but the player base has not. There are long periods of the day when more than 300 players are on that I am kicked off by the site or can not sign on at all. Are there any plans with regards to upgrading the server? 

• maxroelofs likes this
3 - 0

#133 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

An idea for Mick you could offer the old UI app as Stratego Classic for a fee and not provide any support for it. Players could choose to use this version until they were satisfied with the new app. This would make money, placate many concerns and migrate players to the new app.

Maybe if we pay a year fee to keep the old version? Many people will agree with this and site can earn money  :) 

They can say for example: The free version is the new app. If you want to keep the old version you must register with a yearly fee of .. euros. 

I've compiled a list of my requests for the new app programmers.

LIST OF REQUESTS FOR NEW APP:

13. Give the option to players to retain the old desktop version or old app version for a fee. Once the official change hits, this might be a big money maker

Thanks for your feedback!
To answer your questions/points:

13. Not gonna happen.

Stratego is already performing waaay better than it ever did, which we are happy with :)

Retaining the old app, means working on that outdated backend as well, which is something we cannot do, because it costs way much than we earn from it.

Therefore, it's not a wise choice.

#134 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

Feel free to make a new poll :)

the real poll will be the preferences of players in the future :)

#135 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

If maintaining the old app is not feasible so be it.

3 - 0

#136 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

A lot of players need to realize that developing an app and hosting a server costs money. Many of us have played hundred or thousands of games at no cost for years. There were time when there was no development team and at time's the sties future seemed in doubt. If no one is making money off the site there is little reason for them to keep the servers up and running. The new development team is a positive for this site as they are actively working on it.

The new app only implements UI changes it does not break the game. If you want to keep the old piece art pay 600 BC. Welcome to the real world stuff costs money and we have been getting this site largely free for years.

A few things I would like to see in the new app:

1. I am not a fan of the ads. If accidentally clicked they can cause the game to be aborted, resulting in a loss for the player. Most apps that charge a fee do not have ads and the cost to remove them for a year is more than the app itself. This annoys me as a consumer. If I am paying for a premium app I do not want ads. My understanding was that these types of ads made very little revenue. I do not know the specifics for this site.

2. I would like the ability to create setups outside of a game in the app. There is no option to do so currently.

3. I would like to see an upgraded server. The player base has grown which is great but the player base has not. There are long periods of the day when more than 300 players are on that I am kicked off by the site or can not sign on at all. Are there any plans with regards to upgrading the server? 

Thank you for your positive views :D

1. We will see how well this monetisation-profile works for us. So far, it's performing well, but it's too soon to tell...

2. This is a good idea! I will discuss it!

3. Is this with the old or the new app?

Maybe if we pay a year fee to keep the old version? Many people will agree with this and site can earn money  :) 

They can say for example: The free version is the new app. If you want to keep the old version you must register with a yearly fee of .. euros. 

I've compiled a list of my requests for the new app programmers.

LIST OF REQUESTS FOR NEW APP:

13. Give the option to players to retain the old desktop version or old app version for a fee. Once the official change hits, this might be a big money maker

Thanks for your feedback!
To answer your questions/points:

13. Not gonna happen.

Stratego is already performing waaay better than it ever did, which we are happy with :)

Retaining the old app, means working on that outdated backend as well, which is something we cannot do, because it costs way much than we earn from it.

Therefore, it's not a wise choice.

So what is your point? :)

the real poll will be the preferences of players in the future :)

It will show what 10-30 forum members think, yes

If maintaining the old app is not feasible so be it.

This is sadly not possible, due to a broken backend and outdated systems.

Posted Image

#137 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

With regards to 1. There might be a nicer way to implement the ads. The ads are an annoyance, paying to remove them does not add anything to the game. I may be annoyed by them enough to leave a negative review but not remove them. If setups or piece colors, something that adds to my experience, were granted if I chose to remove ads this would be more favorable. The new app is being marketed towards children. Parents are more likely to pay to remove ads if some additional feature is tied to it.

Can you address the issue of ads removing players from the game when clicked. This results in a loss and is very frustrating. A simple prompt asking the player to confirm that they want to leave the app would suffice.

With regards to 3. Both, the server slows down during the evening european time this is across all platforms.

Edited by astros, 09 November 2015 - 03:49 PM.

3 - 0

#138 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

With regards to 1. There might be a nicer way to implement the ads. The ads are an annoyance, paying to remove them does not add anything to the game. I may be annoyed by them enough to leave a negative review but not remove them. If setups or piece colors, something that adds to my experience, were granted if I chose to remove ads this would be more favorable. The new app is being marketed towards children. Parents are more likely to pay to remove ads if some additional feature is tied to it.

Can you address the issue of ads removing players from the game when clicked. This results in a loss and is very frustrating. A simple prompt asking the player to confirm that they want to leave the app would suffice.

With regards to 3. Both, the server slows down during the evening european time this is across all platforms.

Good points!

Ads should not remove players from the game when clicked. We will investigate that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted Image

#139 ajax123

ajax123

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Investigate.????
Give us the official stratego app back.

#140 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

Investigate.????
Give us the official stratego app back.

You can still play the old, unsupported version on the desktop.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users