Photo

How Many People are Playing on the New App?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

But still no important fixes I'm assuming? :(

I dont use the new app anymore. I wish I didn't up'upgrade' as there is no way to go back.
I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#42 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hey, there's another thing that kills graveyards I just found out. If your opponent asks for a pause and you grant it, like the nice guy you are, then you will lose your graveyards!

These lost graveyards problems are killing me!

Excuse my ignorance, but what are graveyards in the game?

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#43 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what are graveyards in the game?

Fairway, it's like when, you know, your pieces go to stratego heaven, the final resting place, mon ami.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#44 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

But still no important fixes I'm assuming? :(
I dont use the new app anymore. I wish I didn't up'upgrade' as there is no way to go back.

You seem to be the only one with any experience of the new app, sevenseas.

They are certainly constantly working on the new app, one can tell. This week it is the new ads. Last week it was the "Abort Search" button change from just "Abort". So little things, yes. Big things like giving us a buffer in plain sight, nope not yet.

Yes, I upgraded in error also. I feel your pain and glad to know someone understands mine. I do lose games because I'm not a good player, but I lose more due to this onerous new app. My graveyards leave almost when they want. My opponent disconnected on me this morning and MY graveyards disappeared!

I played a thoughtful fellow called The ABC today and he helped me out with info in our game after my graveyards vanished again, but most are not that nice.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#45 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

Fairway, it's like when, you know, your pieces go to stratego heaven, the final resting place, mon ami.

Um, with all due respect, are you being sarcastic? I still don't get what they are. Are you joking?

#46 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

Fairway, that is what you look at to see who's dead on both sides. Graveyards. Got it?

i77rs4m.jpg

#47 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Yes, your painfully obvious comment that I could not understand has passed through my thick skull. Congrats.   :P

#48 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

Occasionally I do note things that are an improvement over the old app. One is the ability to play either landscape or portrait in the new app.

i77rs4m.jpg

#49 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Whatever the bug may have been; it's a weird one.

Though, we are not working on the old version anymore, so any bugs will be resolved soon when the new version will replace the old.

@Gary

''I really think a lot of people are going to be shocked when it comes to them eventually. ''

MickM, on 20 Jul 2015 - 6:20 PM, said:

Now we are almost ready to update Stratego© Multiplayer. We used the feedback of Stratego© players and the data of Stratego© Single Player as a guide. Our mission is to create the best multiplayer experience for all platforms.

The Platforms
First the game will go in beta on Android / Google Play. We will invite players to help us create a great version that we can further roll out on iPhone, iPad, Facebook and Online! 

Looking the new app I am  not just shocked :o  but also terrified :wacko: . These graphics will kill stratego and this site very soon . I hope to stay only in tablets and android. Maybe if we pay a year fee to keep the old version? Many people will agree with this and site can earn money  :) 

They can say for example: The free version is the new app. If you want to keep the old version you must register with a yearly fee of .. euros. 

It is urgent to begin a poll with question which app we prefer, the old or the new.

Gary please provide additional screenshots from the new app during a game

Admins must respect the result of this poll.

I call the entire site in arms!!!!! 

#50 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

We've always been open about this. I don't see why there is still confusion :)

Also, what is good to note: 

These graphics will kill stratego and this site very soon 

Numbers have never been better!

Posted Image

#51 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Things are simple. Let people speak.

What we prefere to have as graphics? 

This?

dGGQ4xO.png

or this ?

8qTHUTQ.png

• leppie likes this

#52 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Mick,

maybe I've missed something here, but a question: Will these new piece theme also be available on the computer soon? And what will happen with the old themes then?

#53 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

Things are simple. Let people speak.

What we prefere to have as graphics? 

This?

dGGQ4xO.png

or this ?

8qTHUTQ.png

Everyone is allowed to share their opinion ofcourse :)

What we do with it, is up to us...

Mick,

maybe I've missed something here, but a question: Will these new piece theme also be available on the computer soon? And what will happen with the old themes then?

That will happen :)

Posted Image

#54 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

I've compiled a list of my requests for the new app programmers. It is in no particular order except for when I posted them in this topic, or added them at the end. I'm sure other items will be found by others to add to the list. If anyone can think of anything, post it in this topic and I'll add it to the list if I agree with it.

To give credit where due, there is one thing that I have previously mentioned liking in the new app. It is the ability to play either portrait or landscape on one's tablet.

But the bulk of my experience results in the list below.

LIST OF REQUESTS FOR NEW APP:

• Please switch the graveyards back to the order they are on the old desktop version. There, my own graveyard was on the right; opponent, left. In the new app this is reversed, and is confusing.
  • Fix graveyards from disappearing for a multitude of reasons. They disappear if I disconnect, if my opponent disconnects, if I grant a pause request to my opponent, etc. How many different reasons they disappear is still being learned.
  • Put the name of our opponent on the Victory/Defeat banners. They currently are not shown in the new app. No one can prove a tournament win with these end-of-game banners
  • Put the colored shields and color rank names on our profiles and friend lists. Now we only see the ELO number.
  • Make the captain and lieutenant artwork more distinctive from each other. One person added the sergeant to this group.
  • Here's another artwork suggestion. Whenever there's a battle this big window pops up showing the pieces involved and who won or lost. That is fine, but, the artwork is the same whether the winning piece attacks or is attacked. If your lieutenant attacks my sergeant it shows the lieutenant actively nodding and doing the attack on the sergeant. If my sergeant is attacking that lieutenant, then the same motion, the lieutenant attacking the sergeant, is still shown in the pop-up box. Shouldn't there be a different artwork to depict who attacks whom better? It would seem so.
  • Make it possible to open a chat with your friends who are online. In the new app now it is only possible to challenge friends, not talk to them.
  • Fix the Abort Search button so that when it is pressed, one does not automatically lose the game. Now, this happens every time.
  • Make the ads quiet if the game settings are quiet. I don't expect to hear a loud commercial when my game sounds and effects are turned off.
  • Give us ads that are a maximum of 15 seconds long, or the option to skip the ads after five seconds.
  • Offer the new style pieces for free instead of charging the current 600 battle coins for them.
  • Put the buffer times in plain sight ALL THE TIME. Now in the new app they only appear after you have allowed your 15 second move timer to run down. Knowing this buffer time can be critical in close games. Also, there is plenty of space at the top of the screen where this might be done aesthetically very nice.
  • Give the option to players to retain the old desktop version or old app version for a fee. Once the official change hits, this might be a big money maker?
  • Put a GMT time clock on all game-side screens. Like the buffer timer, it, too, could be easily placed, both discreetly and aesthetically, on the screen. This will prevent any issues of time stamps once and for all.

• Aris1970 and Fairway like this

i77rs4m.jpg

#55 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

Maybe if we pay a year fee to keep the old version? Many people will agree with this and site can earn money   :) 

They can say for example: The free version is the new app. If you want to keep the old version you must register with a yearly fee of .. euros. 

• Give the option to players to retain the old desktop version or old app version for a fee. Once the official change hits, this might be a big money maker?

@ Dear admins

This the gold opportunity for the site to satisfy all the kind of clients and earn some money.

With the new app you give the chance to play for free all the players. New players who come to learn the game, kids who maybe are interest in your new graphics, old players just for fun.

With the old app you give the chance to those players who want a competitive  site with more realistic graphics which simulate better the real game and ,,,,,you will earn some money.

I am convinced that many players who see this game more seriously would spend some euros to have the opportunity to play in the old app , knowing that this time they will not have to face the old problems (multiple accounts , bugs because of server's overloading , unreliable leaderboards etc). Additionally keeping with a yearly fee  the old app , this will give the chance to organise better our tournaments , fact which which will attract more new players (= clients for the site)

If this solution is technically possible please give a deep thought.

• leppie likes this

#56 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:39 AM

Karaiskakis suggestion is good.

I will pay for a clean ranking that gets rid of all these multiple accounts. We will know if we can even register 250 ranked players.

#57 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

Mick

From a pure marketing point of view the right decision is the decision that satisfies a maximum of customers. You are right that bringing a new design to stratego will allow to make a new and different advertising campain and such new campain will obviously generate new sales. This is the logical way. But remember that when the version with the pictures of the pieces was introduced Jumbo made the right decision to not delete the old original version with the profiles only. They even made it become a "vintage edition" . This was very important to keep existing and long time stratego fans enthusiastic and as this category of player entered in an age zone allowing them to have children, they will for sure buy a new stratego box for their children.

All this to summarize what, according to me, shall be the best decision:

1) Prepare a new ( or several new) designs
2) Resolve the various bugs and missing game statistics of the existing version or develop a new platform that would solve all issues expressed by this forum members since long time
3) Launch a promotional campain with the new design BUT keep the existing one accessible for those who prefer and are used to it. In no way cancel the existing designs.
4) with regard to accesses to stratego.com and fees etc... i propose you the following: in each new box of stratego ( with either the new or the existing designs) put in a ticket with a user name and password to access stratego.com. this ticket shall give right to register one account on stratego.com. This account can then play for free. This will so not only limit the multiple accounts ( players would have to buy a new stratego box each time they want a new ticket) but dynamize the attractiveness for the game. Effectively who has a stratego box at home often doesn't play much only because of lack of opponents. Online you will always find one.

Hope my suggestions will find a good ear ...

Napoleon 1er
  • leppie likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#58 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I've compiled a list of my requests for the new app programmers. It is in no particular order except for when I posted them in this topic, or added them at the end. I'm sure other items will be found by others to add to the list. If anyone can think of anything, post it in this topic and I'll add it to the list if I agree with it.

To give credit where due, there is one thing that I have previously mentioned liking in the new app. It is the ability to play either portrait or landscape on one's tablet.

But the bulk of my experience results in the list below.

LIST OF REQUESTS FOR NEW APP:

• Please switch the graveyards back to the order they are on the old desktop version. There, my own graveyard was on the right; opponent, left. In the new app this is reversed, and is confusing.
  • Fix graveyards from disappearing for a multitude of reasons. They disappear if I disconnect, if my opponent disconnects, if I grant a pause request to my opponent, etc. How many different reasons they disappear is still being learned.
  • Put the name of our opponent on the Victory/Defeat banners. They currently are not shown in the new app. No one can prove a tournament win with these end-of-game banners
  • Put the colored shields and color rank names on our profiles and friend lists. Now we only see the ELO number.
  • Make the captain and lieutenant artwork more distinctive from each other. One person added the sergeant to this group.
  • Here's another artwork suggestion. Whenever there's a battle this big window pops up showing the pieces involved and who won or lost. That is fine, but, the artwork is the same whether the winning piece attacks or is attacked. If your lieutenant attacks my sergeant it shows the lieutenant actively nodding and doing the attack on the sergeant. If my sergeant is attacking that lieutenant, then the same motion, the lieutenant attacking the sergeant, is still shown in the pop-up box. Shouldn't there be a different artwork to depict who attacks whom better? It would seem so.
  • Make it possible to open a chat with your friends who are online. In the new app now it is only possible to challenge friends, not talk to them.
  • Fix the Abort Search button so that when it is pressed, one does not automatically lose the game. Now, this happens every time.
  • Make the ads quiet if the game settings are quiet. I don't expect to hear a loud commercial when my game sounds and effects are turned off.
  • Give us ads that are a maximum of 15 seconds long, or the option to skip the ads after five seconds.
  • Offer the new style pieces for free instead of charging the current 600 battle coins for them.
  • Put the buffer times in plain sight ALL THE TIME. Now in the new app they only appear after you have allowed your 15 second move timer to run down. Knowing this buffer time can be critical in close games. Also, there is plenty of space at the top of the screen where this might be done aesthetically very nice.
  • Put a GMT time clock on all game-side screens. Like the buffer timer, it, too, could be easily placed, both discreetly and aesthetically, on the screen. This will prevent any issues of time stamps once and for all.

Thanks for your feedback!
To answer your questions/points:

1. Seems like something minor, but I can discuss it with the team!

2. This is a known bug we're fixing!

3. Will be fixed in the upcoming patch!

4. Will be fixed in the upcoming patch!

5. Both units are distinctive enough from each other. This will just take some time getting used to.

6. I don't understand what you're implying...?

7. This is being discussed with the team.

8. This is being worked on

9. Ad sounds are seperate from the game sounds. Only if your device-sound is turned off, will the ads have no sound. Every game does that.

10. Not gonna happen.

11. Not gonna happen.

12. The buffer-time is in plain sight, all the time. We feel it looks nice now :)

13. Not gonna happen.

14. We'll discuss this.

Maybe if we pay a year fee to keep the old version? Many people will agree with this and site can earn money   :) 

@ Dear admins

This the gold opportunity for the site to satisfy all the kind of clients and earn some money.

With the new app you give the chance to play for free all the players. New players who come to learn the game, kids who maybe are interest in your new graphics, old players just for fun.

With the old app you give the chance to those players who want a competitive  site with more realistic graphics which simulate better the real game and ,,,,,you will earn some money.

I am convinced that many players who see this game more seriously would spend some euros to have the opportunity to play in the old app , knowing that this time they will not have to face the old problems (multiple accounts , bugs because of server's overloading , unreliable leaderboards etc). Additionally keeping with a yearly fee  the old app , this will give the chance to organise better our tournaments , fact which which will attract more new players (= clients for the site)

If this solution is technically possible please give a deep thought.

Stratego is already performing waaay better than it ever did, which we are happy with :)

Retaining the old app, means working on that outdated backend as well, which is something we cannot do, because it costs way much than we earn from it.

Therefore, it's not a wise choice.

Think about it ;)

Mick

From a pure marketing point of view the right decision is the decision that satisfies a maximum of customers. You are right that bringing a new design to stratego will allow to make a new and different advertising campain and such new campain will obviously generate new sales. This is the logical way. But remember that when the version with the pictures of the pieces was introduced Jumbo made the right decision to not delete the old original version with the profiles only. They even made it become a "vintage edition" . This was very important to keep existing and long time stratego fans enthusiastic and as this category of player entered in an age zone allowing them to have children, they will for sure buy a new stratego box for their children.

All this to summarize what, according to me, shall be the best decision:

1) Prepare a new ( or several new) designs
2) Resolve the various bugs and missing game statistics of the existing version or develop a new platform that would solve all issues expressed by this forum members since long time
3) Launch a promotional campain with the new design BUT keep the existing one accessible for those who prefer and are used to it. In no way cancel the existing designs.
4) with regard to accesses to stratego.com and fees etc... i propose you the following: in each new box of stratego ( with either the new or the existing designs) put in a ticket with a user name and password to access stratego.com. this ticket shall give right to register one account on stratego.com. This account can then play for free. This will so not only limit the multiple accounts ( players would have to buy a new stratego box each time they want a new ticket) but dynamize the attractiveness for the game. Effectively who has a stratego box at home often doesn't play much only because of lack of opponents. Online you will always find one.

Hope my suggestions will find a good ear ...

Napoleon 1er

The previous versions will be optional in the form of skins :)

To answer your points of feedback:

1. This will happen!

2. We're working on the game every single day. Fixing 1 bug that 1 member writes does not take 1 minute, we're fixing tons of things and adding tons more each day. We're working on it and we appreciate the feedback! But do understand that game development takes time.

3. Already happening

4. This is something we can discuss!

Posted Image

#59 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,494 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for your feedback!
To answer your questions/points:

6. I don't understand what you're implying...?

12. The buffer-time is in plain sight, all the time. We feel it looks nice now :)

Mick, thanks for the responses you've given. Readdressing the two items above, I want to say that for #6 I don't know much better how to say it, but let me try another way.

If you have two pieces and one attacks the other, one will win; the other will lose. When the one doing the attacking wins, say with a major attacking a captain, then the artwork will show the major moving and attacking the captain. That's fine, but when the captain attacks the major, and therefore loses, the artwork still shows the major attacking the captain. Why is this? Why doesn't it show the captain attacking the major to reflect what really happened?

As for #12 what you say is 100% wrong. The buffer does not show at all until the move timer has elapsed on its 15 seconds. Then the buffer appears, but in the same place as the move timer had been.

Mick, if you put a buffer near the top, there is plenty of room for it below the move timer of each player, and it could be made to be aesthetically pleasing as well. While you're at it, it would be very nice to have the buffer turn flashing red in the final 30 seconds.

i77rs4m.jpg

#60 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

Mick, thanks for the responses you've given. Readdressing the two items above, I want to say that for #6 I don't know much better how to say it, but let me try another way.

If you have two pieces and one attacks the other, one will win; the other will lose. When the one doing the attacking wins, say with a major attacking a captain, then the artwork will show the major moving and attacking the captain. That's fine, but when the captain attacks the major, and therefore loses, the artwork still shows the major attacking the captain. Why is this? Why doesn't it show the captain attacking the major to reflect what really happened?

As for #12 what you say is 100% wrong. The buffer does not show at all until the move timer has elapsed on its 15 seconds. Then the buffer appears, but in the same place as the move timer had been.

Mick, if you put a buffer near the top, there is plenty of room for it below the move timer of each player, and it could be made to be aesthetically pleasing as well. While you're at it, it would be very nice to have the buffer turn flashing red in the final 30 seconds.

This should not happen. It's always the attacking player that has his/her piece moving first.

We will look into this!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users