#2 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

I am a bronze general with an ELO rating of 272. I have played about 600 games, and my record is about 360-240.  The highest rank I have ever beaten is a platinum miner. Highest rank ever played is sevenseas, a platinum marshal!

My strategy that I normally use is to have your marshal and a colonel on the right side. Then I put my spy behind the lake in the middle and my general one space lower and to the left than the spy. (General should be in 5th column, spy in 6th from left.) On the right side, you have a 5 bomb mine field. This is for:

1. Get the enemy to waste all of their miners.

2. Stop nearly all enemy advances on that side, so you can focus your power pieces and troops more on the other part of the board.

Have a colonel behind the bombs just in case your opponent brakes through so you can have some defense until stronger reinforcements arrive.  

Lastly, the flag and last bomb I put between the middle and the right side of the board. I usually put the bomb 1 space to the left of the flag.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#3 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

I don't know if my comment is welcome, but I'll give it anyway. :)

Playing with 5 bombs on one side, is a very bad idea becouse:

1: What use does it have to capture all opponents miners, if your flag is open

2: you are losing a lot of scouts, sergeants, lieutenants, miners, on that side.

3: Youre giving away too much information, if your opponent knows all the bombs, it can get really trick, even if you are ahead of him

4: If you have a general advantage and the opponent has 2 scouts, it can still get tricky

5: These kind of setups are used a lot, opponent will guess the flag easily.

• Moghedien, sevenseas and Fairway like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#4 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

2: you are losing a lot of scouts, sergeants, lieutenants, miners, on that side.

3: Youre giving away too much information, if your opponent knows all the bombs, it can get really trick, even if you are ahead of him

4: If you have a general advantage and the opponent has 2 scouts, it can still get tricky

Good advice. I'll use it in my next game. :) However, I would like to correct number 2. I have placed the bombs so that all I lose is 1 sergeant and 1 scout.

#5 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

I used your advice and won against a Bronze marshal and a Silver spy.   :) Thanks again.

• maxroelofs likes this

#6 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

I am new to the site, having registered 30 minutes ago, but I have played other places, so heres my setup

I usually place my flag in the corner, as I would be fine with predictability if I can get that one extra bomb, which is important in this setup. Also, for this example we will say my flag is in the left corner, I would also put my marshall in between the bombs (or around there) to stop large pieces from clearing the way to my flag, I also have sergeants so I dont need to reveal my marshall to clear miners.

In the middle, I would have the classic general + spy, this is to protect all of my miners/late game pieces or scouts that I place back in the third/fourth rows

on the side opposite of my flag, I would place 4 bombs, 3 in the 10th column in rows 2, 3, and 4 respectfully, and the fourth next to the one in the 4th row. The first is to help stop people lottoing in that direction, as I cant have a marshall or general + spy there due to them needing to cover elsewhere, the rest make my opponent think my flag if in that corner and send a miner only to be fooled. Since miners are likely to come in this direction, I have a serg put there.

The strategy is to stop my opponent with my general + spy, marshall, and bombs, while using captains, majors, and colonels to take his pieces, using the miner for the obvious, and using the rest to scout.

#7 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

I am new to the site, having registered 30 minutes ago, but I have played other places, so heres my setup

I usually place my flag in the corner, as I would be fine with predictability if I can get that one extra bomb, which is important in this setup. Also, for this example we will say my flag is in the left corner, I would also put my marshall in between the bombs (or around there) to stop large pieces from clearing the way to my flag, I also have sergeants so I dont need to reveal my marshall to clear miners.

In the middle, I would have the classic general + spy, this is to protect all of my miners/late game pieces or scouts that I place back in the third/fourth rows

on the side opposite of my flag, I would place 4 bombs, 3 in the 10th column in rows 2, 3, and 4 respectfully, and the fourth next to the one in the 4th row. The first is to help stop people lottoing in that direction, as I cant have a marshall or general + spy there due to them needing to cover elsewhere, the rest make my opponent think my flag if in that corner and send a miner only to be fooled. Since miners are likely to come in this direction, I have a serg put there.

The strategy is to stop my opponent with my general + spy, marshall, and bombs, while using captains, majors, and colonels to take his pieces, using the miner for the obvious, and using the rest to scout.

This is extremely similar to the setup I always use.  :)

#8 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

This is extremely similar to the setup I always use.  :)

its probably common, there are no real flaws besides predictability, which is because its common

#9 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, it does seem to be common. Sometimes the opponents I face use something like it. 

#10 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

Not my favourite setup, but I use it sometimes against average players.

9aqCulI.png

#11 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:17 PM

Looks pretty good to me, but probably because i'm just not that good.   :)

#12 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

I am a bronze general with an ELO rating of 272. I have played about 600 games, and my record is about 360-240.  The highest rank I have ever beaten is a platinum miner. Highest rank ever played is sevenseas, a platinum marshal!

My strategy that I normally use is to have your marshal and a colonel on the right side. Then I put my spy behind the lake in the middle and my general one space lower and to the left than the spy. (General should be in 5th column, spy in 6th from left.) On the right side, you have a 5 bomb mine field. This is for:

1. Get the enemy to waste all of their miners.

2. Stop nearly all enemy advances on that side, so you can focus your power pieces and troops more on the other part of the board.

Have a colonel behind the bombs just in case your opponent brakes through so you can have some defense until stronger reinforcements arrive.  

Lastly, the flag and last bomb I put between the middle and the right side of the board. I usually put the bomb 1 space to the left of the flag.

putting the colonel behind the bombs might not be the best idea, because if a similar setup is being played (and this is probably the most common setup for bronzes due to being relatively simple) there is a good chance that your opponent would have a general/marsh on the same side as those bombs and thus, can just run through your colonel anyway. And either way, a miner can only get rid of 1 bomb max, because you should have some sergs around there to take out the miners.

#13 Mitthunder

Mitthunder

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

9aqCulI.png

Looks vulnerable to lotto players but nice otherwise

#14 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

9aqCulI.png

Looks vulnerable to lotto players but nice otherwise

This is ttrue

#15 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

putting the colonel behind the bombs might not be the best idea, because if a similar setup is being played (and this is probably the most common setup for bronzes due to being relatively simple) there is a good chance that your opponent would have a general/marsh on the same side as those bombs and thus, can just run through your colonel anyway. And either way, a miner can only get rid of 1 bomb max, because you should have some sergs around there to take out the miners.

I don't put the colonel right behind the bombs, just kind of in the area.

#16 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

I don't put the colonel right behind the bombs, just kind of in the area.

yeah, but still, having a col for that side wouldent really do much

#17 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Sometimes they break through the bombs. I observe most that the "guide" of the miner is a major.....

#18 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

it has to do with setup, so putting it here:

how well would putting a flag behind a lake work? How many bombs do you think would be needed?

#19 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,478 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Normally about 3.  If you are going to do so, make sure you have lots of power pieces right beside of it! One bomb and your flag is immediately open.

#20 douevenswitchbro

douevenswitchbro

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:32 PM

Normally about 3.  If you are going to do so, make sure you have lots of power pieces right beside of it! One bomb and your flag is immediately open.

but wouldent the flag be open after 1 bomb being taken out no matter where you put the flag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users