Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hi stratego enthusiasts. :)

Like a few other people here, I too will be starting a series of stratego videos. I hope you enjoy watching and please comment with your thoughts and opinions.

I will have an archive of all my videos in this post so you can watch them all or any particular video from one place

Stratego Videos

Game 1: sevenseas vs Dairou

Game 2: sevenseas vs Mr Smith

Game 3: sevenseas vs Moghedien

Game 4: sevenseas vs Caesar101

Game 5: sevenseas vs Napoleon 1er

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#2 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

First game is vs Dairou. We had an interesting game, he opened up very aggressively and got a lot of mid-ranked pieces from me. I thought I was going to lose!

Luckily I managed to find a tactical breakthrough with his spy placement. I realised I could force his spy out of the way and lotto the piece next to his Marshal. He had all of his pieces so far come from that side of the board so I wasn't scared of a bomb. Besides, I didn't have much choice!

After that I got a Major and was back into the game. Some more moves from me and I managed to edge a win. It was a very close and interesting game. :)

#3 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

Hi!

Another video for you today, this time against Mr Smith. He says he will also be uploading the video to his Youtube Channel (here) for those subscribed to him. :)

It was an interesting game and he had an unusual spy placement! You can watch the game from the link in the first post.

I hope you enjoy the game, leave a comment if you did. :)

#4 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,336 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

Haven't seen the second game yet.

First game, if the lottod piece is lower than a captain then Dairou is 90% to win, game over if a bomb. So all down to that move really.
  • sevenseas likes this

#5 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

First game is vs Dairou. We had an interesting game, he opened up very aggressively and got a lot of mid-ranked pieces from me.

...i like very much your bluffy marsh behind this bomb in the middle .... next time you play against me you could even make it more bluffy and bomb him competely in behind 3 bombs ... lol!!!
  • --Wogomite-- and sevenseas like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#6 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

I hope you enjoy the game, leave a comment if you did. :)

First of all it’s very nice that beside your personal fun, you want to share and help some others with these videos since the site does not provide this opportunity. Personally I find the friendly games as a good opportunity for training on new tactics and set-ups, but also offer and strengthening relations between players(veryfied by your chatting on video). About this game I think that MrSmith although had chosen defensive tactic did not fare well, leaving uncovered several pieces (special his major) and found early with disadvantage.
 Also not exploited the spy advantage although was behind and had to take some risk for tipping but stayed to the defensive tactic. The rest was formality. Worth mentioning that many players do not recognize the right moment to take risks (when disadvantaged) and I believe this and possibly some future videos of yours will be helpful for them.
Greetings

• sevenseas likes this

#7 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. :)

Haven't seen the second game yet.

First game, if the lottod piece is lower than a captain then Dairou is 90% to win, game over if a bomb. So all down to that move really.

I knew dairou had some majors near the middle in case I kept on trading and trying to take the spy. I wasn't worried about the bombs because usually when someone has this kind of setup (marshal attack with gen in centre), the weak side will be bombed off, and the higher ranked pieces will be towards the middle to defend the spy and that side of the board. 

Yes it was a risk (I was behind at the time), but I believe the odds to be within my favour!

...i like very much your bluffy marsh behind this bomb in the middle .... next time you play against me you could even make it more bluffy and bomb him competely in behind 3 bombs ... lol!!!

Dairou and I have had some interesting games. Sometimes he opts for a more blitz-style setup (like he did in our match), sometimes it's a bit more defensive. I chose to have the marshal in a slightly unusual place to catch him out...that particular tactic didn't work this time but it's always worth trying!

Haha... not sure it's the best idea closing my Marshal behind bombs. Maybe you should try that one first? ;)

First of all it’s very nice that beside your personal fun, you want to share and help some others with these videos since the site does not provide this opportunity. Personally I find the friendly games as a good opportunity for training on new tactics and set-ups, but also offer and strengthening relations between players(veryfied by your chatting on video). About this game I think that MrSmith although had chosen defensive tactic did not fare well, leaving uncovered several pieces (special his major) and found early with disadvantage.
 Also not exploited the spy advantage although was behind and had to take some risk for tipping but stayed to the defensive tactic. The rest was formality. Worth mentioning that many players do not recognize the right moment to take risks (when disadvantaged) and I believe this and possibly some future videos of yours will be helpful for them.
Greetings

Yes you are correct in that some 500-700 level players can be a bit defensive and sometimes wait a little too late to counterattack when behind in material. However in Mr Smith's case there wasn't much that could be done, as I can defend a potential Marshal attack with my Marshal and stop him from crossing the middle.

Hopefully people learn something from my videos, and perhaps I learn something myself. That's why I'm doing this. Stratego is a great game and more people should play it. :)

#8 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

Greetings

Mr. Smith is a fine, promising player. I'm sure he was just experimenting with some different setups. 

• sevenseas likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#9 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hi everyone!

Game 3: Sevenseas vs Moghedien

Third game vs Moghedien, a very talented player. We had a interesting, exciting and close game!

I made a mistake at the end by letting my lieutenant get sandwiched. I wanted to find the other major and completely forgot about that piece. Silly me! Apart from that I think both of us played a very solid game. Let me know what you think. :) 

I did have another video recorded vs Napoleon 1er, but I unfortunately lost the video due to a new computer. It is a shame but these things happen...

#10 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:41 PM

Nice game!

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#11 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Another game vs a very promising young player. Don't be fooled he is a much better player than his rank would suggest! ;)

I made a few mistakes here and made a few wrong guesses with his setup. It is very tough coming back into the game when down 2 pieces. I wish I had the courage to lotto further but I didn't want to look stupid if I hit a bomb on youtube. Lol!

I hope you enjoy and I hope you learn from my mistakes. Not my proudest day but I will keep fighting! :D

#12 Caesar101

Caesar101

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Another game vs a very promising young player. Don't be fooled he is a much better player than his rank would suggest! ;)

I made a few mistakes here and made a few wrong guesses with his setup. It is very tough coming back into the game when down 2 pieces. I wish I had the courage to lotto further but I didn't want to look stupid if I hit a bomb on youtube. Lol!

I hope you enjoy and I hope you learn from my mistakes. Not my proudest day but I will keep fighting! :D

thanks for the description, but I CANT GET PAST THE LOTTO LEVEL

lol

someone can give me some tips...to get past silver (yes i am silver level only)

#13 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

I was very close to hitting that major in the middle... but I chickened out at the last second (it wasn't too bad at the time only down 1 piece.. I could get some smaller pieces back)

#14 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

Wow. Nice game. I probably could never do that.

#15 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,202 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:45 AM

A big, big congrats to Ceasar101. 

#16 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Game 5: sevenseas vs Napoleon 1er

This is my 5th recorded game, and this time vs Napoleon 1er. He is an excellent defensive and tactical player rated 900+ here on the site.

This one is a pretty long game at just over an hour, but it is a challenging and close game for both of us! I hope you enjoy this one. Napoleon says he will upload to his channel too from his point of view. :)

#17 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

...same game but seen from Napoleon's side will be available soon in Napoleon's video ... still uploading now.

NB I have a problem watching yours Sevenseas ... it says error has occured?

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#18 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

...same game but seen from Napoleon's side will be available soon in Napoleon's video ... still uploading now.

NB I have a problem watching yours Sevenseas ... it says error has occured?

Same here, but it may be a problem from youtube servers. I have the same message with several videos right now.

#19 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

Yes I think it is just Youtube's servers having a bad day.. it was working before for me but there seems to be a blip right now. I would try again in an hour or so. :)

#20 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

I'm pleased to report it is working again now! You can either watch my video, or the one napoleon linked in his topic.

Also as a side note... if you find the videos too slow to watch at the normal speed, you can change the speed settings on youtube via the "cog" icon to make it play faster. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users