BLeonard

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

I like the idea of being able to store certain setups. Why not take that a step further with a "flip" button that would give you a mirror image of the setup that you have saved? That would, in essence, double the amount of saved setups a player could have.

Anyone that has played a Madden football game knows what I'm talking about. You have your playbook (in Stratego, that would be your setup) and there's also the option to "flip" the playcalls. So, a run to the right would "flip" to a run to the left, the mirror image of the original play.

Hopefully, this makes sense and others will be able to see the benefit.

-Bill
  • Midnightguy, Colonel Lingus, vowles_23 and 1 other like this

#2 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Very good idea Bill, totally agree, would free up a lot of space.
Posted Image

#3 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

I vote for Flip as well. A quick and easy way to play a 'new' setup

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Haven't heard any other players comment on this..... so.... Bump Bump
Posted Image

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

For me it doesn't matter. Most of the times I put up a complete new army because you play a lot against the same opponents.
I do hope that you can save more set-ups in the near future. Ten set-ups or more would be ideal, saves a lot of time.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#6 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

Haven't heard any other players comment on this..... so.... Bump Bump

need flip, horizontal and vertical not everyone puts the flag in the back row, which I learned in a defeat by an opponent who put the flag behind a lake, first row, with a bomb on either side.)

wc 2010x2.jpg

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

A flip is a good idea, Bill.  Thanks.  

Still, I think I like the idea of more setups as trickz says even more, though.  Ten would indeed be a nice number.  But I don't know if I'd want an endless supply.  Many would just catch dust and I would forget their purpose, possibly.

Lady Kathryn, that notion of a flip you mention would only work in a very special case, and would definitely not work if your original setup feature a flag in the corner, for example....unless you enjoyed the flag on the open front line!

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Lady Kathryn came up with the following idea in a p.m. to me previously.  I suggested calling it "Full-Half Flipping".  The idea was to flip the pieces horizontally by halves.  See below.

She uses the European numbering system.  I quote her explanation below with her permission,

"That is, using a row of pieces, say 4 4 5 3 2 2 7 6 3 2, flip them so the row would be
"2 7 6 3 2 4 4 5 3 2. I have noticed that opponents attack on the side of their 'handedness' (right or left). So if the set-up "could be "flipped by halves, and you play the same player a second time, it would ce [sic] convenient to switch sides to "compensate."

I felt it was a worthy notion, and fairly simple, when talking about "flipping" pieces for setups.  

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

This would be a nice feature to have, since many players do like to swap setup from time to time.  Some players may one game have a corner flag and a bomb blockade on the left and the next game would rather have it on the right.  This feature would save setup times if we can add this to the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users