Photo

Stratego.com is growing>Forum is dying...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi to all

I think that things here have reached a breaking point. The forum's devaluation is now a fact from too many players.

Some time ago I informed admins and mods about this remark of mine, but there was the alibi of summer vacation (I disagree as at holiday season I saw playing the game 200+ people at different times and days and in the forum were only 20! of which half were admin and mods). Now (even when I make this post) remains the same phenomenon ... why this happening is something complex ... The only logical explanation I can give as main reason maybe is the provocative behaviour of some as you may have observed occasionally but I’m not sure. The site may have some technical problems but the players have increased compared to last year(plus the other site’s are almost dead) so logically and forum members should constantly grow while expressing their opinion and participate in tournaments. In contrast reduced significantly (personally I know 9 serious people / players of different nationalities who have left and with the worst feelings).

This means to me that they prefer to play with random opponents of automatic selection (accepting as much as possible the existing problems) without many words, avoiding contact with forum's organized tournaments and discussions just because they think that there are bigger problems here ....

I made this post purely to put you on thinking, can each of you to give his own interpretation, maybe different from mine. But I think now we are in one-way situation and all who care about coordinated forum must act, otherwise we will follow the path of opponents automatic choice...

greetings

• KARAISKAKIS likes this

#2 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

maybe they are tired asking for the same improvements for years

• Lonello, Aris1970, Mr. Smith and 1 other like this

#3 Mitthunder

Mitthunder

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

Uhh I think the forum is fine. Players may read and not post.

More time spent playing the game than reading the forums is a good thing.

Also, it would be nice to see what the developers are working on and when.

The developers on other game sites publish articles for the players to have something to look forward to, i.e. sci-fi multiplayer.

On here, everyone is kept in the dark. They make random chances like making the top 51 players platinum marshal.

Nobody here made that suggestion to do that, but there were suggestions they don't seem to even read.

At least they could ask for feedback from people like Napoleon, The Prof,etc.

• The Prof likes this

#4 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

on one side I agree with Sohal. There is a little but very strongly passionated stratego community that has probably already discussed and rediscussed anything that can be discussed about stratego without seing any big improvements to the website, so this community may feel somewhat tired. To make a community active in discussing you need new things or new/more people. Personnally I'm convinced that with next tournaments coming, revised ranking scale (Admins have confirmed they are working on this), possible improvements becoming visible (I'm optimistic on that ...) , end of holiday season we shall see more activity on the forum. Also some people were used to post several things in the off topic forum ... here I'm a little bit deceived there is no more intensive activ ity.

But i also agree with Mitthunder ... better have more people spending their time playing than debating

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

I don't know what you can do to promote the forum. Maybe we can make the forum button flash and animate somehow? :)

There's a button at the top and bottom of the screen. For the longest time the bottom one did not work. I can't sign in at the moment to check that out, but this small fact used to deter some people from the forum.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

I think its a little bit of everything brought up with the forum isn't that active:

1) Not all players know about it - I've spoke to a handful of players over the months during a match talking about the forum and they either just didn't know about it or noticed the forum button at the top of the screen.  Shortly after I noticed they are a member of our forum.

2) Players don't care - They are just here to play.  They didn't don't wish to get involved with the site or feel they would get dragged into drama. 

3) They visit but, just don't reply - like Mitthunder said people don't need to reply to all posts but, just read

4)  Not much on site has changed - Like Sohol wrote people feel not much has been done so, why keep re-writing the same thing.  

5) There are so many multiple names on the site, you may see so many new names but they already have an account here on another name.

I believe the trick is to first get more people aware there is a forum board and with new changes that come on the site the players would get more involved with other things.

#7 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

As one of the oldest  members in forum,  I made a stats analysis about forum members since the opening of the site (8-10-2012 till today)

My results are divided into 3 chronological periods. 

1.  8/10/2012 - 31/8/2013

2.  1/9/2013  -  31/8/2014

3.  1/9/2014   -   31/8/2015

Definition of inactive forum member : this account who has no post yet.

Total number of forum members : 1796 / inactive : 747 (41,59%)

1st period :  total new members :   598  / inactive : 267 (44,65%)

2nd period:  total new members :   635  / inactive : 230 (36,22%)

3nd period:  total new members :   563  / inactive : 250 (44,40%)

Anyone can make his own conclusions but IMO it is obvious from the numbers that 2nd period was the most active for the forum .

If we consider what changes have been happened between these periods maybe we can answer the question of cflag.

• Aris1970 likes this

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,242 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

From a mathematical perspective, we are hardly looking at jaw-dropping differences in the numbers, and defining forum activity by 'new forum members that make a post' is of course one way to look at it.(Another way to look at forum activity would be to measure the total number of forum posts in a year.) Also, given that any player that joins a tournament must make a post in the forum to participate, perhaps it could be more indicative of tournament participation in that period. Or perhaps a particularly divisive topic inspired many new people to have their say. There is also a limited amount of topics that can actually be raised, and many as Sohal stated above have been discussed to death.

What are the changes you are referring to in that period, that you (maybe) conclude are responsible for a marginal temporary increase in new forum members who make a post?

#9 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

What are the changes you are referring to in that period, that you (maybe) conclude are responsible for a marginal temporary increase in new forum members who make a post?

During the second period the appearance of JC (now MT) gave hope for limitation of cheating and starting playing tournaments (especially the CL) gave fun.

These 2 changes attracted many new active members because they were promising for a better future. 

#10 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have some other explanations:

1) around mid of second period the glitsch bug issue was solved so all "forum activity" linked to the resolving/complaining of this issue disappeared after 2013. As cheating issues almost disappeared there was much less to discuss

2) In 2014 there was an extremely intensive activity on the greek forum with various greek stratego organizations debating, arguing and organizing greek tournaments online. This has disappeared or at least strongly reduced in 2015 (...maybe the greek crisis is for something in there?). But anyway it would be good to have those same statistics excluding the greek portion of it ... my guess is that the remaining portion of period 3 will still be higher than period 2, but that's just a feeling ...

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#11 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,266 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

I have some other explanations:

1) around mid of second period the glitsch bug issue was solved so all "forum activity" linked to the resolving/complaining of this issue disappeared after 2013. As cheating issues almost disappeared there was much less to discuss

2) In 2014 there was an extremely intensive activity on the greek forum with various greek stratego organizations debating, arguing and organizing greek tournaments online. This has disappeared or at least strongly reduced in 2015 (...maybe the greek crisis is for something in there?). But anyway it would be good to have those same statistics excluding the greek portion of it ... my guess is that the remaining portion of period 3 will still be higher than period 2, but that's just a feeling ...

@ Napoleon
The statistics concern new active forum members and not posting activity.
According the extremely intensive activity on the greek forum this was mostly during the 3nd period (all the tournaments and the biggest debates were after September 2014). It is impossible to exclude the greek portion from the stats but if we were able to do that, this would have as result to reinforce the argument that 2nd period was far away the most active.

#12 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

I also believe the number of complains between draw refusal and abusive behavior has gone done because, players know they will get banned if they get out of line or will lose 50 points or have their rating reset if they try to hold up a game to force the other guy to give up. 

#13 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

I believe the trick is to first get more people aware there is a forum board and with new changes that come on the site the players would get more involved with other things.

I don't know what you can do to promote the forum. Maybe we can make the forum button flash and animate somehow? :)

nice comments, I agree with you

#14 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Perhaps a message could be made to scroll across the screen once or twice on the game side during the setup phase? Or even at the start of a game? Or maybe have it stationary in the same space as one of the ads?

The message could say something like,

"Did you know there is a forum where you can read and share ideas on Stratego? Where you can meet other fans of the game and keep up with the latest happenings in Stratego? Click on the "Forum" button at the top of the page and join today. It's free!"
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#15 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

maybe admins don't know there is a forum

someone should tell them they can find great ideas here

• KARAISKAKIS, Lonello and Aris1970 like this

#16 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Captain

• Moderators
  • 788 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:00 AM

Having about 20 locked threads at the top gives the appearance of a dead forum where nothing new is being discussed.

I appreciate they are important/informative but a busy forum that people will regulary check and contribute to has new threads at the top every day . Here when you open it you see the same old threads every day  , many without a post for 6 months . You have to scroll a way down to find anything new and maybe a lot of people just don't bother. 

#17 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,242 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

tobermoryx, are you aware that you can sort by new content so that you never need to go hunting - click on the Quick Navigation (oval-like) icon to the left of the search box and select > Community-New Content

• cflag likes this

#18 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Captain

• Moderators
  • 788 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

I see , thanks .

I wouldn't have found that without your instructions though ..

#19 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:03 AM

I went ahead and unpinned a few topics that has had little response within the last few months and has referred to the rest of the Moderator Team about the possibility of limiting a a couple more.  That should make the General Discussion Topic not as cluttered.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users