nljw

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

lol, I see this as a bug. I moved my general back and forth one time too many and then I got stuck. The game didn't allow me to get out:

Only possibility is to move forwards, like the game suggests:

But hey, I won't allow you to:

So ye that resulted in me getting stuck and I had to time out. Maybe warn a player before doing that or let him at least get out and not get back after that, this is just stupid.

:ph34r:

#2 Ash0rz

Ash0rz

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hi NLJW

Yeah...this is somewhat an unfortunate situation you got yourself into. >_<

(luckily i don't think this occurs a lot)

Adding a warning message before you violate the 2-square rule can become annoying for some players as some people move back and forth quite a bit and they would constantly get warnings.

How would you guys like to see this fixed?

- Warning message, as stated by NLJW

- Forfeit your turn

- Forfeit the match ("You have no more movable pieces")

- Something else?

#3 vowles_23

vowles_23

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

It would happen so rarely I don't think that it's such a huge problem. Probably just forfeiting one's turn would be okay. But also forfeiting the game would be fine too, because if someone gets themselves into such a situation, they are probably about to lose in any case. Definitely not a warning message, that would be way too irritating.

vowles_23

chesscom_badge_468x60_s.gif

#4 Jens14

Jens14

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't see the problem. Just forfeit the match?

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,535 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Boy, that's an interesting jam!  Of course the rule needs an exception if it the only movable piece is locked up like this.  However, if we completely scrap the 2 Space rule that would take care of the problem as well.  

But that's not going to happen without some other kind of anti-chase rule in place.  My question is how are we coming on the anti-chase rule situation?  HmmNess put forth a decent starting point in his post about it.  I think the # of full binds should be increased dramatically over his 5, but it was a good place to begin.   Is this anywhere close to hitting the programming stage?  Can we give more input on the particulars now?  I say make the penalty for chasing so severe as to eliminate the problem.  If the rule we land on is broken, the player loses the game.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Classic 2s-rule trap.

For this reason they should delete this stupid rule.

And okay,.....it's Nljw his own fault that he got himself into this (instead of back-forth-back you should have gone forth-forth-back-back to prevent the 2s-trap) but it just doesn't make any sense.

He's got the space to move but it's not allowed. 

An anti-chase rule would be much better than this rule.

But since the ISF provides the official guidelines (also this site), I don't see this rule being changed so quickly.

So better learn how to exploit it and how to deal with it :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#7 Ash0rz

Ash0rz

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Boy, that's an interesting jam!  Of course the rule needs an exception if it the only movable piece is locked up like this.  However, if we completely scrap the 2 Space rule that would take care of the problem as well.  

But that's not going to happen without some other kind of anti-chase rule in place.  My question is how are we coming on the anti-chase rule situation?  HmmNess put forth a decent starting point in his post about it.  I think the # of full binds should be increased dramatically over his 5, but it was a good place to begin.   Is this anywhere close to hitting the programming stage?  Can we give more input on the particulars now?  I say make the penalty for chasing so severe as to eliminate the problem.  If the rule we land on is broken, the player loses the game.

As soon as the current build is releasable (hopefully beginning next week), we will sit down and discuss how to implement the chase rule. As soon as i know more i will get back to you guys.

• GaryLShelton likes this

#8 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

If we look at other tile games, in Chess and Checkers the game would be a stalemate and recorded as a draw if one side can't make a legal move.  Problem is we can't have the game be a draw because it would be unfair to the other player IF they had the pieces to perhaps get a win.  I would say the only possible way to remedy this situation is to just skip their turn like in backgammon if they can't make a legal move because of blockage if on the bar or the other player has a 6 row's of blockage. 

What were the other pieces did your opponent have?  Even if they had a scout you had one protecting the flag, so it should have been easy to move in an L position back and forth.  If they had no miners left, then this is where again we need the automatic draw rule here since unless if the other guy had a General or Marshall there is no way for them to win the game and it no way for you to get to their flag. 

• vowles_23 likes this

#9 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

Classic 2s-rule trap.

An anti-chase rule would be much better than this rule.
But since the ISF provides the official guidelines (also this site), I don't see this rule being changed so quickly.

So better learn how to exploit it and how to deal with it :)

EXACTLY!
wc 2010x2.jpg

#10 nljw

nljw

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

I don't see the problem. Just forfeit the match?

I can't, he just let me wait till it was 0:00 and I lost.. There was literaly nothing I could do.

:ph34r:

#11 vowles_23

vowles_23

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

If we look at other tile games, in Chess and Checkers the game would be a stalemate and recorded as a draw if one side can't make a legal move.  Problem is we can't have the game be a draw because it would be unfair to the other player IF they had the pieces to perhaps get a win.  I would say the only possible way to remedy this situation is to just skip their turn like in backgammon if they can't make a legal move because of blockage if on the bar or the other player has a 6 row's of blockage. 

What were the other pieces did your opponent have?  Even if they had a scout you had one protecting the flag, so it should have been easy to move in an L position back and forth.  If they had no miners left, then this is where again we need the automatic draw rule here since unless if the other guy had a General or Marshall there is no way for them to win the game and it no way for you to get to their flag. 

For once I'm going to agree, and say that the answer's not in chess, but backgammon ;)

vowles_23

chesscom_badge_468x60_s.gif

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,535 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

I disagree with the skip a move notion.  You have a 2 space rule in place here at the site.  We all know how it works.  The unfortunate jam above in this thread was entered into by nljw who also, no doubt, knew how the rule worked and just messed up.  We can't be making exceptions to the way the rule works.  Many other times it causes a "jam" for the weaker piece that gets caught in the vertical/horizontal chase.  Thanks to nljw for this extreme example of how insidious the 2 space rule can get, but let's leave the rule alone, or scrap it entirely.  

But I'm for scrapping the 2 space rule ONLY when anti-chasing is in place and well-tested in game play.  

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users