rogah

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Yesterday i played a very strange game against Gkaros. At the start of the game i almost immediately detected is marsh with a scout, he then brought his marsh up and completely lottod two pieces. 5-10 minutes later he had his gen in my center and again lottod resulting in hitting my major. At that time he already had a big material advantage(due to his lottoing), moved back and eventually won the game. He did not play better than the average 200-300 elo player. I know he is one of the best players around and was really surprised by this poor playing. Does anyone know if he has other people playing on his account?

Greets,

Rogah

#2 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

Gkaros is an aggressive player. He attacks if your setup is obvious. Try and learn from your games and try and have unpredictable setups so he -- and other top aggressive players such as constrictor -- can't guess your pieces as easily. 

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#3 rogah

rogah

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

i totally agree with you here. However this had nothing to do with skill. He almost litterly started lottoing with his marsh and after with his general. He did not even know where my other pieces where and whether my set up was predictable or not. However i just did not expect such poor play from a top guy.

#4 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:32 PM

http://stratego.zz.mu/cleanranking/

Gkaros lost 40% of his points last time, so i guess he was just a bit frustrated, which is understandable. :)

• HardRain_Lenny and rogah like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#5 HardRain_Lenny

HardRain_Lenny

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

At the other hand Rogah...

A detected Marshall by a Scout so early requires a hard attack by Gkaros. 

If the Marsh is detected so early with no reward and Gkaris would choose a defending approach. he will lose for sure. 

So create some space in your line up asap in order to manouvre your high pieces.

#6 rogah

rogah

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

At the other hand Rogah...

A detected Marshall by a Scout so early requires a hard attack by Gkaros. 

If the Marsh is detected so early with no reward and Gkaris would choose a defending approach. he will lose for sure. 

So create some space in your line up asap in order to manouvre your high pieces.

yeah i could understand a marshall blitz. just find it strange a player of his level only lottod the whole match

#7 constrictor

constrictor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Sevenseas, I may be aggressive but I do not lotto with the marshal. I only strike pieces I know with it. I only lotto in desperate circumstances, like when I am losing. Rogah, another possibility is he knew your set or tendencies (if you have played him before). For example, he may have known not to expect bombs or the spy in certain places. Someone lottoed me with their general and got a colonel in the only place my set was vulnerable to lotto. Now either he got lucky, or he knew where I normally keep the colonel and marshal.

#8 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

I was wondering the same thing about gkaros : does soemone else play with his account ?

He sometimes lotto and is very agressive, but he is enough skilled to stay in the top ranked, i don't understand how he can loose >150 ELO

#9 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:03 AM

He tried to bully me by taking my Gen early (it didn't end well for him). He's a fine player, though.

Terror made me cruel. 

#10 match

match

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

There's another explanation for Gkaros' play.  A hallmark of excellent players is that they know what pieces they can spot their opponent and still win.  If Gkaros determined that he could beat you, even after spotting you a Marshall, then he may play extremely aggressively with that Marshall knowing that he will get some information that will help him enough to win.  The key is that at all times he knows exactly how much of a talent cushion he needs to win with the pieces left on the board and the info that he has.

I have played Gkaros many times, and I win maybe 5% of the time because he exploits his talent advantage at every stage of the game, allowing him to play extremely recklessly at the beginning and destroying me from 3 pieces down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users