#1 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

Well, I just had my first game on the new multiplayer app on my phone that was released today. Disappointment is my main feeling. The problems I encountered were

1) My pieces did not respond well to my touch. Usually a big delay, or even no response at all, even with repeated tapping of the piece. I actually lost the game due to my buffer running out while I was desperately trying to tap a piece to move.

I played on my Samsung S5 and it is lightning quick on every other program. (The problem is not my phone here.)

2) I had one situation where the two square warning came on my screen saying "it is not allowed more than four times" or something very close. But more than four times? What happened to more than three? (The programming did indeed stop me after three moves. It was just the warning message that caught my eye.)

3) Although each time my pieces would not move my buffer continued to run down from the figure it last had, my opponent's buffer always began over at 5:00 whenever she dipped into it!

This is all I can recall from my first game on my phone. The graveyards open up nice and big. It seems like a game that works on my phone all right, but the change in graphics is a big letdown for me. How is this 2d screen better than the old 3d one again?

For me it was an interesting experience but I definitely want my old stratego back. :(
  • Lonello and jensneuij like this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#2 jensneuij

jensneuij

Scout

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 120 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Good points, also I seem to get random setups every time I do a Quick battle. I rather choose my own setup. This is also an essential part of Statego. If you want to choose a random setup to play with fine but atleast give a choice set up a manual one aswell.

• Mr. Smith likes this

#3 gHosT.ol3a

gHosT.ol3a

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

Well, I just had my first game on the new multiplayer app on my phone that was released today. Disappointment is my main feeling. The problems I encountered were

1) My pieces did not respond well to my touch. Usually a big delay, or even no response at all, even with repeated tapping of the piece. I actually lost the game due to my buffer running out while I was desperately trying to tap a piece to move.

I played on my Samsung S5 and it is lightning quick on every other program. (The problem is not my phone here.)

2) I had one situation where the two square warning came on my screen saying "it is not allowed more than four times" or something very close. But more than four times? What happened to more than three? (The programming did indeed stop me after three moves. It was just the warning message that caught my eye.)

3) Although each time my pieces would not move my buffer continued to run down from the figure it last had, my opponent's buffer always began over at 5:00 whenever she dipped into it!

This is all I can recall from my first game on my phone. The graveyards open up nice and big. It seems like a game that works on my phone all right, but the change in graphics is a big letdown for me. How is this 2d screen better than the old 3d one again?

For me it was an interesting experience but I definitely want my old stratego back. :(

Wait there is a new version of the mobile app?

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

It's the multiplayer counterpart to the new single player that was released this year. Same artwork as that.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,741 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

2) I had one situation where the two square warning came on my screen saying "it is not allowed more than four times" or something very close. But more than four times? What happened to more than three? (The programming did indeed stop me after three moves

OK but what about counterchase? And scout threatening? Did they get it right this time around :huh: -_- <_< :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

Lo

#6 KingJur

KingJur

Product Owner

• Administrators
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hey Gary and Jens,

About the issues. We are always in progress to improve.
We just released version 1.9.1 to Google Play and this should be available within the next 4 hours.
We keep on improving untill we have a stable product as possible.

About the Quick Battle.
We wanted this to be really quick. Because there are many mobile players who want to do a fast game everything is already pre setup. There are over 100 setups of one is randomly picked.
So there is no advantage or disadvantage... both players have to play with the cards dealt.

In the future we want to implement a smaller board for the Quick battle as well.

If you have suggestions for good setups please send me an email.

#7 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

If I am not permitted to use my own setups it's time to quit this place. 

This is an asinine idea and frankly ruins the game. 

Also, a 4 square rule? Seriously? Wow, the end is nigh!

• sevenseas likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#8 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

Or are those changes merely for the quick game (which I don't care about)?

Terror made me cruel. 

#9 Mitthunder

Mitthunder

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

I have the app but am not going to waste my points away.

Good for the bronze spy who likes a game every now and then, not for elo competition.

#10 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

I played a ranked game on another account with it (so I won't lose points) and it wasn't very good. The main issue is the graveyards aren't visible by default -- having to click a button everytime to know where you stand is a bit annoying. For games which make it to the endgame it's important to know what each player has left. 

In fact a lot of options seem to be hidden.. When I got a match, I just got told I was paired with Leo1226. No mention of ELO or win %, which tells me if he's a good player, or a lotto player, or a beginner etc.

I echo the current thoughts that the app seems to be for the casual player. I'm afraid it's not for me as it's awkward to use. :(

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#11 gHosT.ol3a

gHosT.ol3a

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

I can't even get it. I installed it but I don't have an option on the main menu to play multiplayer. Don't tell me I have to pay for it like that Waterloo crap

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

Jur, I don't have a suggestion for that but have you considered doing a "free arrangement" mode? This is a feature on Gravon that allows one to illustrate a certain small aspect of a game, problem, or movement question by only needing to set up the minimal # of pieces needed to show the point. It's basically an educational mode. If you did that and added a pointer, it would be perfect for a lot of discussions over this or that game situation.

Gary

#13 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

OK but what about counterchase? And scout threatening? Did they get it right this time around :huh: -_- <_< :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

I don't know, Lo. In my one game I was playing with someone who didn't want to talk at all. For her on her computer it wasn't abnormal so she wasn't interested in discussing the new app and so there wasn't really an aspect of experimentation.I'd have to agree with sevenseas, though, that it's a lot less of a serious game than the current one. I'm not sure why they even want to do it, really, when they have such a wonderful product already that is so strongly loved.

#14 Nortrom

Nortrom

Captain

• WC Online Team
  • 764 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hey Gary and Jens,

We just released version 1.9.1 to Google Play and this should be available within the next 4 hours.

About the Quick Battle.
We wanted this to be really quick. Because there are many mobile players who want to do a fast game everything is already pre setup. There are over 100 setups of one is randomly picked.
So there is no advantage or disadvantage... both players have to play with the cards dealt.

In the future we want to implement a smaller board for the Quick battle as well.

If you need good suggestions instead: 

- Make a 10 x 10 game, with - marshal, general, miner, 2 scouts, 1 bomb, flag and a spy -

Regarding the current 'quick battle'

- Apparently developers know the definition of fun better than the players, I think the load a random setup idea is well thought out and should definitely be kept at all costs ( does it smell like sarcasm? )

- Don't make it count towards a player's record, please make a seperate record

- Give 5 free 10-piece slots in order to promote quicker games ( it only takes 30 seconds to set up anyway, but who am I... )

• Napoleon 1er and Morx like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#15 gHosT.ol3a

gHosT.ol3a

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

So is the old version no longer available now?

#16 jensneuij

jensneuij

Scout

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 120 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hey Gary and Jens,

About the Quick Battle.

This is not true though, I was matched with a player who was playing from the web. Which means he gets to pick his setup and I had to deal with a random one. You explained that this is due the transition phase but this is not fair to people playing quick battles right now. Also I don't like random setups in the first place, I like to pick my own one. This is an essential part of stratego.

• Napoleon 1er, Morx and sevenseas like this

#17 texaspete09

texaspete09

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

I'm confused, there is no multiplayer stratego in the App Store except for the iPad app, but I don't see one for the phone.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users