maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hello everybody!

I've been off for quite a while, and this post does not mean I am returning to the forum, the forum is a bit too negative for me so I decided to just keep it to the game.

That being said I want to share this game with you. I received a question from ICanMakeULOSE last week to record a game for my youtube channel. I thought about it and accepted his friendly offer. So this game is the result.I hope you enjoy, it is the same setup i beat Kernal Mustard with in the D1 tournament, a very strong setup, but i have new setups now. If you are watching the game, please let us know what you thought of it, here are the parts:

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/yu8RhHbicbk

(the piece scouted at the end is a sergeant)

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/MH_BQS702A8

Part 3:

https://youtu.be/V3UPdmXvHy4

Part 4:

https://youtu.be/XbydBc52Km4

Greetings,

Max

2 notes which mught help some of the bronze players SPOILERS:

1:The major in the middle lane i was bluffing it to be my marshal, right after i discovered his general. Becouse of this he dared to attack me with the kolonel later on (which he lost to my real marshal). 

2: The sergeant i killed near the end of the game, was a piece i remembered from a very long time ago, it is in the 1st 10 minutes of the game that i scouted him (the piece it didn't show at the end of part 1), so it was not a blind guess to attack it with the lieutenant.

• jensneuij, tobermoryx, Mr. Smith and 5 others like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#2 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the game, it was great to watch!

Some comments and questions, Max:

a. Why did you decide to put a bomb on the front row in this setup? I find this a bit surprising because I know ICMUL doesn't lotto. Bombs on the front behind the lakes just get in the way otherwise and limits one's mobility,. Even if they aren't found, it's obvious that they are bombs in the endgame situation. Maybe just my opinion though. :)

b. I thought the bluff with the major was very well played! I think I would have probably been fooled too, in ICMUL's situation.

c. Can I get my a$$ kicked on Youtube some day as well? lol. In seriousness, I would like to play a game if you would like, and you get the time to. :)

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#3 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 666 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

In spite of how easy the endgame looked for you , if your captain had moved 1 space more to the right , he would have won with his disguised bomb sergeant .

• ICanMakeULOSE and SHOOGHIE like this

#4 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

Great game, Max.

• ICanMakeULOSE likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#5 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,383 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Max for another entertaining game.  You're right that he did lotto the colonel, but you're also fortunate he didn't remember that the captain next to it had moved.  I liked your set-up and watching the confidence and patience that you play with.  Also that game background was nice, I'm going to spend me some battle coins to get that one!  

#6 General Eshe

General Eshe

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the game, it was great to watch!

Some comments and questions, Max:

a. Why did you decide to put a bomb on the front row in this setup? I find this a bit surprising because I know ICMUL doesn't lotto. Bombs on the front behind the lakes just get in the way otherwise and limits one's mobility,. Even if they aren't found, it's obvious that they are bombs in the endgame situation. Maybe just my opinion though. :)

b. I thought the bluff with the major was very well played! I think I would have probably been fooled too, in ICMUL's situation.

c. Can I get my a$$ kicked on Youtube some day as well? lol. In seriousness, I would like to play a game if you would like, and you get the time to. :)

Im not max so I cant speak for him, but sometimes a veteran or well known player will put a bomb behind one of the lakes to try and throw off the opponent as it is an unconventional play. It doesnt work very often, especially against other skilled players, but it can be a possible edge in a close match.

The only real hard rules about bombs is to not place them in the lanes on the first row and NEVER bomb off one of your channels. The first will serve no purpose but to limit your mobility and probably get discovered by a lower level piece too early in the game to count for much, and the second announces to your opponent that you have absolutely no intention of utilizing that lane, meaning that not only can he ignore those bombs and that lane of attack, but that he also needs to only get a 2 major piece advantage to completely lock down his side of the board and do just about whatever he pleases.

Anyway excellent game Max and a wonderful example of effectively bluffing, something I am trying to get better at.

#7 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

Im not max so I cant speak for him, but sometimes a veteran or well known player will put a bomb behind one of the lakes to try and throw off the opponent as it is an unconventional play. It doesnt work very often, especially against other skilled players, but it can be a possible edge in a close match.

The only real hard rules about bombs is to not place them in the lanes on the first row and NEVER bomb off one of your channels. The first will serve no purpose but to limit your mobility and probably get discovered by a lower level piece too early in the game to count for much, and the second announces to your opponent that you have absolutely no intention of utilizing that lane, meaning that not only can he ignore those bombs and that lane of attack, but that he also needs to only get a 2 major piece advantage to completely lock down his side of the board and do just about whatever he pleases.

Anyway excellent game Max and a wonderful example of effectively bluffing, something I am trying to get better at.

Bluffing only works against good players, mainly. Lotto noobs don't really care and just hit whatever moves w/ their Marsh or Gen. 

Terror made me cruel. 

#8 General Eshe

General Eshe

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

Bluffing only works against good players, mainly. Lotto noobs don't really care and just hit whatever moves w/ their Marsh or Gen. 

True, but I am trying to learn how to play well against good players. It is hard when you are bronze captain/major and are constantly getting pressed by people coming down with their Marsh early, but thats part of the learning process.

#9 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

True, but I am trying to learn how to play well against good players. It is hard when you are bronze captain/major and are constantly getting pressed by people coming down with their Marsh early, but thats part of the learning process.

You gotta build lottoproof armies and especially against players with 50-50 stats and a lot of games and the rank bronze col or major,....then you know enough already.

If you play against silvers with decent stats, you can dare to risk more and you can invest some pieces to find info.

Sometimes high silvers dare to play tight as well and attack immediately with the marsh,....but you can't predict that, it all depends of your opponent's rank and stats as well if you played him before already.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users