New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

Dear developers,

This is my first post over here. I'm just a simple occasional player of this (once) nice game.

This is one of the few games I enjoy playing on my iPad from time to time.

Then there was this update. And a week later I felt like playing Stratego once again. 

First (and this is not your fault!) I can't login using my Gamecenter account.

The I created a new account. I'm shocked. Perhaps you don't believe me, but I really thought something went wrong during the update and a different app was installed.

Using google and stumbling upon the signature of MickM made me realise that this look&feel was meant to be.

Why?

First of all, I bought the initial game add-free. (but I'm happy to donate again for a game I DO like)

Besides that, the adds are way too long...really way too long. This is short term strategy. this will cost you players. trust me.

I see a lot of complaints about how the game is now played. I can't say anything about that, because I haven't played the game since this horrid update. Not because of the rules of not able to save a settup (i'll gladly buy slots again for a game I enjoy).

But simply because on the iPad this looks like i'm playing it on a 1995 nintendo DS!

So much wasted space! small pieces to move. Not a nice overview. 

I can understand that this update brought you a nice deal from Jumbo. But please, I beg you please respect your players!

This is not a well thought update. No matter what excuses you bring. It's a 1:1 copy of a tableboard game to a mobile device. That's not how it works. You know that, because you got it right before this horrid update.

Again, i'm an amateur player, loose as much as I win. Don't care much about the special rules. But I do care about how easy a game is played. quick, nice look&feel, modern and it gives my a feeling of enjoyment.

All 4 are gone!

I allmost never make posts like this. But I've never seen such a step-back as this update.

Can you please tell us more about a roadmap of future updates?

During my day job I'm very engaged with customer satisfaction and accompany changes in complex situations. So I do know how difficult it is to keep all stakeholders happy. But a well brought change is not done by just listening to your client. It's done by challenging them.

Edited by RCHSW, 18 November 2015 - 05:53 PM.

• KARAISKAKIS, Lonello, maxroelofs and 5 others like this

#62 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

-

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#63 QueenBee1234

QueenBee1234

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

I don't care about the glitch that cheaters use. What I care about is the integrity of players who reach the higher levels and then simply create a new account. None of those morons will read the forum and I don't know how to stop it. New players should not compete against silver and gold levels. They will think they are playing someone of equal ability only to be squashed like a bug. When I am matched up with a player who is a major and is 10-0 I know there is a learning curve. Newbees become discouraged and quit. Also players like me who are rising are constantly beat down by these new accounts. I just learned to resign before I waste my time.

• Fairway likes this
Queenbee

#64 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

I don't care about the glitch that cheaters use. What I care about is the integrity of players who reach the higher levels and then simply create a new account. None of those morons will read the forum and I don't know how to stop it. New players should not compete against silver and gold levels. They will think they are playing someone of equal ability only to be squashed like a bug. When I am matched up with a player who is a major and is 10-0 I know there is a learning curve. Newbees become discouraged and quit. Also players like me who are rising are constantly beat down by these new accounts. I just learned to resign before I waste my time.

Same here. I face 20-2 bronze marshal accounts all the time and lose in 5 minutes. So annoying.

#65 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Dear developers,

This is my first post over here. I'm just a simple occasional player of this (once) nice game.

Then there was this update. And a week later I felt like playing Stratego once again. 

The I created a new account. I'm shocked. Perhaps you don't believe me, but I really thought something went wrong during the update and a different app was installed.

Using google and stumbling upon the signature of MickM made me realise that this look&feel was meant to be.

Why?

First of all, I bought the initial game add-free. (but I'm happy to donate again for a game I DO like)

Besides that, the adds are way too long...really way too long. This is short term strategy. this will cost you players. trust me.

I see a lot of complaints about how the game is now played. I can't say anything about that, because I haven't played the game since this horrid update. Not because of the rules of not able to save a settup (i'll gladly buy slots again for a game I enjoy).

But simply because on the iPad this looks like i'm playing it on a 1995 nintendo DS!

I can understand that this update brought you a nice deal from Jumbo. But please, I beg you please respect your players!

This is not a well thought update. No matter what excuses you bring. It's a 1:1 copy of a tableboard game to a mobile device. That's not how it works. You know that, because you got it right before this horrid update.

Again, i'm an amateur player, loose as much as I win. Don't care much about the special rules. But I do care about how easy a game is played. quick, nice look&feel, modern and it gives my a feeling of enjoyment.

All 4 are gone!

I allmost never make posts like this. But I've never seen such a step-back as this update.

During my day job I'm very engaged with customer satisfaction and accompany changes in complex situations. So I do know how difficult it is to keep all stakeholders happy. But a well brought change is not done by just listening to your client. It's done by challenging them.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of this! I greatly appreciate the way you've written this feedback! :)
I will get back on this in more detail later today!

Posted Image

#66 RCHSW

RCHSW

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thanks! I would appreciate that.

#67 QueenBee1234

QueenBee1234

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

Same here. I face 20-2 bronze marshal accounts all the time and lose in 5 minutes. So annoying.

I knew it wasn't just me. Thanks Fairway. To some people I assume they were bullies on the playground when they were kids. At recess they beat on the little kids. Winning isn't everything. Sometimes making a friend is better. I think I have the record for offering draws at 53. Instead of a Colonel I could be a silver, but I'd rather make friends. Sometimes I don't offer draws, but I have been offered a draw 0 times unless they are behind. I see most players have never had a draw. Maybe to them winning is the only thing. After all it is a competitive game, but some will string it out moving back and forth just to see if I will give up in exasperation.

Queenbee

#68 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Dear developers,

Why?

All 4 are gone!

Hi RCHSW,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

To answer your concerns:

Yes, the look and feel was meant to be. We were tasked to bring new life to the genre by updating the appearance to fit better in the appstore and playstore. Based on the ever-growing numbers and the positive feedback, I believe we succeeded in this.

Like a lot of other games, this game uses adds as a way to make money. In an ideal world everything would be free but development costs money. It's that simple...

You can disable the adds by spending battlecoins though.

The rules have remained the same as in the previous app though.

And you're still able to save your setups.

Why do you think the iPad version looks like a 1995 Nintendo DS? (Which actually came out in 2004)

When you play on a tablet, you have the ability to play in portrait or landscape. With the Stratego-board being rectangular or square, it's very hard on long devices to get a perfect view in both portrait and landscape. You're not always gonna be able to fill up everything because not every device has the same aspect ratio.

This app has not 'brought us a nice deal from Jumbo'. We developed it together with Jumbo.

I find it curious that you say that the game was better before the update and that now it is a 1:1 copy of the boardgame. Could you explain this statement?

The flow of the interface is much quicker and better to navigate and should feel much more natural than the clunky, small and buggy interface of the previous version. 

Seeing as you mentioned 'quick' 2 times and 'the looks' 3 times, I understand these are 2 things you\re really passionate about. The look is debatable ofcourse, but I don't understand why the new app is no longer quick. Could you explain that?

I would love to share a roadmap of the development, but because game development is a dynamic process, everything keeps changing. We might work on a new feature, until we decide that there are other pressing issues like updating the flow or fixing bugs. It is hard to pinpoint. We do work with a planning, but because it's so dynamic, we tend not to share it with the players. We tend to experience that players don't seem to understand this, so we choose not to confuse people with this information.

Posted Image

#69 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

Mick,

Can you imagine top chess players, playing serious with those cartoon anmations? At least admit you took the game out of the realm of serious gaming, and that you want to appeal better to the non serious gamer to attract more people to the game, a bit of understaning towards the frustration of the community is the least you could do.

''Based on the ever-growing numbers and the positive feedback, I believe we succeeded in this.''

I wonder were those few positive feedbacks came from, you've seen the topic old app VS new app, so you should know better and know that this is a very frustrating statement, because you just ignored it completely. 

Again, as i said: If you update a game you attract new players, that doesn't mean that you improved the game.

Well Mick,

I think you need to show the community a bit of understanding and self reflection, instead of stating over and over again that it doesn't matter what we say ''because we are only a minority''. 

• Moghedien, Chewtoy, Fairway and 2 others like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#70 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

It is indeed true that there is a (very) vocal minority of people not liking the game. That is a shame and we hope that those people will still continue to play in the future as we keep updating the game.

The visual style has nothing to do with the gameplay and can be liked or disliked. 

I can debate the visual style of the previous app with you, and explain how various things are visually not that good about it. But in the end, it all comes down to someone's personal opinion. 

Posted Image

#71 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,327 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:26 AM

But in the end, it all comes down to someone's personal opinion. 

And the fact that quick games are pretty much obliterated.....   :)

#72 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:08 AM

It is indeed true that there is a (very) vocal minority of people not liking the game. That is a shame and we hope that those people will still continue to play in the future as we keep updating the game.

The visual style has nothing to do with the gameplay and can be liked or disliked. 

I can debate the visual style of the previous app with you, and explain how various things are visually not that good about it. But in the end, it all comes down to someone's personal opinion. 

Why not keep the old format for the players who don't like the new one? 

I mean, that sounds like a perfectly viable option to me. 

At least w/ the extant version, it's a serious affair. The new version should be for the younger players.

I hate the idea that I won't have a choice . . . 

• Fairway likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#73 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

Why not keep the old format for the players who don't like the new one? 

I mean, that sounds like a perfectly viable option to me. 

At least w/ the extant version, it's a serious affair. The new version should be for the younger players.

I hate the idea that I won't have a choice . . . 

That is an idea that was given a few times, but due to an outdated backend and a system we cannot support, we'd be subjecting the players to a game we cannot manage in terms of bugs.

This is something we do not want :(

Posted Image

#74 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

That is an idea that was given a few times, but due to an outdated backend and a system we cannot support, we'd be subjecting the players to a game we cannot manage in terms of bugs.

What we ask is to keep the old version until there is  a new version which will have the approvement  from our community and from our experienced players 

That's all . Is it so difficult to understand this ?  Is it so unreasonable request?

• Lonello and Chewtoy like this

#75 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

What we ask is to keep the old version until there is  a new version which will have the approvement  from our community and from our experienced players 

That's all . Is it so difficult to understand this ?  Is it so unreasonable request?

Until we upgrade to the new version on a specific platform, the old version can still be played there. Is it so difficult to understand that? ;)

Posted Image

#76 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Until we upgrade to the new version on a specific platform which will have the approvement  from our community and from our experienced players 

, the old version can still be played there. Is it so difficult to understand that? ;)

Put this : ''.....which will have the approvement  from our community and from our experienced players '' and there is a deal  ;) 

#77 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

Haha, well we try to yes. We keep updating and improving the new version. So in a way... yes :)

• KARAISKAKIS likes this
Posted Image

#78 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

There have been numerous requests on the game play, like banning double chasing and implementing auto draws in certain situations, which have not been addressed over a period of years (judging by the first posts about these topics that I could find in the archives). Despite the lack of development in the game play direction, there are plenty of (very) good players on here who enjoy the game anyway and would like to continue like that. Stating that this is too difficult to implement simply makes no sense, since there is absolutely nothing you and the developers would have to do apart from keeping a server running. Saying that you don't want to subject players to a supposedly buggy game is not much of a credible statement if we consider that some longstanding issues have not been resolved despite repeated requests spread out over multiple years... I know game development takes time and it's hard to predict when things will be ready, but it's simply a fact that the choice was made to work on aspects that never were an issue (e.g. piece graphics) while in the same period some already identified game play problems could have been addressed. It's a pity that some well articulated advice as expressed by many users is not really taken seriously.

• GaryLShelton likes this

#79 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

As a company, we took over the IP 1 year ago. We are not the ones who developed the previous app.

Posted Image

#80 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ok, but the user feedback provided prior to the IP takeover and which is still available on this website could have been taken seriously. Based on the facts (i.e. released changes in the game play and graphics) I can only conclude that a priority has been given to matters which were not an issue in the first place, like making different piece graphics and a single player game that no average or good player actually cares about. Maybe to put it more clearly: the IP takeover that you are bringing up has nothing to do with the point I am making.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users