sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

MickM, with all due respect have you ever played Stratego? You should not be the one to decide how the game should or should not be played.

It is imperative that the players should be able to choose their own setups for Stratego games. 

As a compromise, how about an option where players can have a "random setup" button on the setup screen, like the one we have now on the browser version? :)

Edited by sevenseas, 09 November 2015 - 06:51 PM.

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#42 Vanir44

Vanir44

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

1. As of now, you can only buy them

2. As we tested, the vast majority of the players was confused by who won and thought it wasn't clear enough

3. -

4. If a player has to wait 5-7 minutes, it is not very Quick ;)

Dear MickM,

4. Are you sure that you understand what a "quick game" means?

Maybe you should play some games to understand what the game is about..

As Fairway said: The game is useless if we can't create our own strategies.

Vanir

• Mr. Smith, Moghedien, sevenseas and 2 others like this
Es geht nicht ums Gewinnen, sonder darum, dass du kämpfst.

#43 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

MickM, with all due respect have you ever played Stratego? You should not be the one to decide how the game should or should not be played.

It is imperative that the players should be able to choose their own setups for Stratego games. 

As a compromise, how about an option where players can have a "random setup" button on the setup screen, like the one we have now on the browser version? :)

I have! As has the rest of the team ever since we've been young.

Seeing as we're partnering with JUMBO to help bring new life to Stratego, I believe we are the ones to decide how the game should be played!

Players can still make and choose their own setup. That is not lost.

In Quick Battles however, players will ge randomly given one out of 70+ setups to battle with.

Dear MickM,

4. Are you sure that you understand what a "quick game" means?

Maybe you should play some games to understand what the game is about..

As Fairway said: The game is useless if we can't create our own strategies.

Vanir

I think you're misunderstanding the actual meaning of the word "quick" here.

Quick Battles imply that a player can play a battle in a short period of time. For example; when someone is waiting for the bus, in the elevator or on the toilet, someone can squeese in a little battle without all the fuss of creating a setup, waiting for the other player to choose a setup and then having 40 units at your disposal.

You can still create your own strategies!

Posted Image

#44 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:48 PM

1. As of now, you can only buy them

2. As we tested, the vast majority of the players was confused by who won and thought it wasn't clear enough

3. -

4. If a player has to wait 5-7 minutes, it is not very Quick ;)

1. Who wants to pay for something they already have?

2. It's better than the baby version of the new app. Also, were do you find your respondents? It's as clear as water. The swords kill the loser.

4. For someone to set up a strategy for a quick game, it takes like 30 seconds. You can go bathroom in this time.

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#45 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

1. Who wants to pay for something they already have?

2. It's better than the baby version of the new app. Also, were do you find your respondents? It's as clear as water. The swords kill the loser.

4. For someone to set up a strategy for a quick game, it takes like 30 seconds. You can go bathroom in this time.

1. If you already have it, you don't have to buy it. But in this case, you don't have it, so if you want it, you can buy it. We're not forcing your hand :)

2. Well, that is ofcourse your opinion to which you're entitled to. Ofcourse, you must understand that when someone is subjected to something for a very long period of time, that person will get attached to that thing and will start to accept everything about that. Now when that thing is suddenly changed, what felt comforting and safe is now strange and new and some things might not feel so familiar. This is normal and everyone has it :)

We tested it pretty rigorously with players familiair with the game and new players. We found that there were many things that were not clear enough. Things like the battles.. who won. Or the visualisations of the ranks, who is who and why is the bald guy better than the one with the hat? Stuff like that.

4. To some it may take 30 seconds. For others maybe 5.But some people will need the 5-7 minutes as you yourself said earlier:

It will still be 5-7 minutes

Posted Image

#46 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

Then make the quick game setup time like 1 or 2 minutes. This would solve everything.
  • Mr. Smith and sevenseas like this
I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

#47 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

Then make the quick game setup time like 1 or 2 minutes. This would solve everything.

Nice idea! What do you think about it, Chef?

#48 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

He'll probably say no. Like he does every other darned time.

• Moghedien and texaspete09 like this

#49 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

Guys, I hate to break the news for you but it is utterly useless to try and communicate with the God of Stratego. He has played once with his kid and thinks he knows the game. And makes all the decisions for us. And sometimes he gives us a small (but very small) thing to keep some of us fairly satisfied.

This is how it works: Jumbo has told this guy to get more customers no matter what that means to the game. And he created a child's game and it works: he gets more customers. That is the bottom line, not the beauty of the game. More customers, more money, everyone happy. Except the unhappy few but they are a minority so who gives a ....
  • Chewtoy, Fairway, texaspete09 and 1 other like this

#50 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

That is nice, but it still means a player will have to wait 1-2 minutes. Waiting =/= quick

Not really true though, but I understand your emotions are getting the upper hand ;)

Guys, I hate to break the news for you but it is utterly useless to try and communicate with the God of Stratego. He has played once with his kid and thinks he knows the game. And makes all the decisions for us. And sometimes he gives us a small (but very small) thing to keep some of us fairly satisfied.

This is how it works: Jumbo has told this guy to get more customers no matter what that means to the game. And he created a child's game and it works: he gets more customers. That is the bottom line, not the beauty of the game. More customers, more money, everyone happy. Except the unhappy few but they are a minority so who gives a ....

I think a career in fortune-telling is not something you're cut out for, because you have no idea ;)

I'm sorry you feel this way. If this prevents you from sharing your feedback, then so be it.

Posted Image

#51 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

That is nice, but it still means a player will have to wait 1-2 minutes. Waiting =/= quick

1-2 minutes is nothing. 1-2 minutes is washing your hands in the restroom.

Edited by Fairway, 10 November 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#52 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

Not really true though, but I understand your emotions are getting the upper hand ;)

I think a career in fortune-telling is not something you're cut out for, because you have no idea ;)

I'm sorry you feel this way. If this prevents you from sharing your feedback, then so be it.

Mick come on, do not act the fool. I may have said it in a way you do not like but you have no interest in listening to the REAL problems we have with the new app. You have an idea in your mind and you will not change it, apart from a few twists here and there. The major decisions are made and stand. At least admit that you have developed the game in child's play and that there is no place for the real stratego players as there is now. Then you are at least being honest and do not keep up appearances. For my part that is the last thing I wanted to say about it. Have it your way.
  • Lonello, maxroelofs and texaspete09 like this

#53 Vanir44

Vanir44

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

Dear MickM,

If 1-2 minutes aren't quick for you... Then please tell me what is quick for you.

Without creating our own strategies the game is more memory as stratego.

I think it's pointless to change your opinion.

Vanir

• maxroelofs and Fairway like this
Es geht nicht ums Gewinnen, sonder darum, dass du kämpfst.

#54 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

Dear MickM,

If 1-2 minutes aren't quick for you... Then please tell me what is quick for you.

Without creating our own strategies the game is more memory as stratego.

I think it's pointless to change your opinion.

Vanir

Yep.

#55 texaspete09

texaspete09

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:55 AM

Lol the quick games were probably quicker before there were ads.
  • sevenseas and Fairway like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#56 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

LOL! Hilarious, Mick! You should be a comedian and not a game producer.

Edited by Fairway, 16 November 2015 - 12:36 AM.

• Vanir44 likes this

#57 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:38 AM

Lol the quick games were probably quicker before there were ads.

I just was chatting with Mr. Smith this morning about this! If 1-2 minutes is "too long" a setup time for Mick, then GET RID OF THE DARNED ADS! If these quick games, according to Mick, should be so quick you can't have a 1 minute setup time, then who has the time to wait 1 minute for an add? Huh?

• texaspete09 likes this

#58 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

I just was chatting with Mr. Smith this morning about this! If 1-2 minutes is "too long" a setup time for Mick, then GET RID OF THE DARNED ADS! If these quick games, according to Mick, should be so quick you can't have a 1 minute setup time, then who has the time to wait 1 minute for an add? Huh?

Just like a lot of other games, this game has ads... but you can turn them off with battlecoins :)

Posted Image

#59 tomato123456

tomato123456

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

Maybe the next step in quick game development is that we get just the flag and one scout (of course in random positions) and then optional battlecoins to purchase extra pieces or more ads... can't wait for that one to be announced! :)

• jensneuij, texaspete09 and Vanir44 like this

#60 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Just like a lot of other games, this game has ads... but you can turn them off with battlecoins :)

That's not my point. If the quick games 1 minutes setup time is too long, then YOU need to get rid of the adds and put them plastered on the side so we can have 1 minute to setup. I don't want your pathetic strategies you make. I want my own.

• texaspete09 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users