Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

Hi everyone,
I would like to put in a question. I have won a game yesterday which was a narrow one and I am under the impression that I really should not have won given the situation but maybe I am wrong. I have a miner at the opponent's end of the middle lane and a colonel which is the highest piece on the board. Further I have a lieutenant which is being pinned on the left by a major. He has two miners left, one of which is with my miner on my left and another major which is on my righthand side of my miner. We both have our flags in the bombs. My miner is closer to his flag than his miners are to mine. My colonel is trying to find a way through for my miner. And by the way his major blocking the way is as I said on my right behind the right lake. His flag is also behind that lake on the last line with 3 bombs defending it. At a moment my colonel is on the same level to his major so I can step towards him. He has to go further to my right as he has only 2 squares between the lake and his bomb which is in front of his flag. This way I create space for my miner to go through and catch his flag. My question (finally): in this situation I am under the impression that my opponent has made a mistake and he should have been able to hold my miner is it not? If you need more info I am glad to provide it, I hope it is clear as I have situated it....

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

Need a diagram showing all the pieces on the board. Can you give us something visual?

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 681 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

As one of the famous Stratego players would say: Wall of Text.

If you have a situation like this please use a tool like this one to make the piece setup and post the actual situation on the board:

Stratego Board Editor

• The Prof and Moghedien like this

#4 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hi guys,
I am trying another way. Thanks Morx for the tool, it is working only I cannot save it. It is probably me... I think it is because I am working with a tablet I guess. I am using letters and numbers now, should work. Morx, maybe you can use the editor and throw in a visual...
A8: my lieutenant; B7: his major; A9 his bomb; C10: his miner; F10, H10 and G9 his bombs and the flag in the middle of that triangle. F6 my miner, F7 my colonel, D7 his miner and G8 his major. My bomb and flagposition is irrelevant to my question. I am still curious as to your opinion. Thanks in advance for the trouble....
Greetz. Moghedien

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt

#5 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 681 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

The save to PDF function of the Board Editor doesn't work how it should yet, what I did in other threads is just make a screenshot and crop that and put it on a image sharing server like imgur.

I didn't really look at what is the best way to export HTML to a picture yet, maybe after the Waterloo 2015 World Championship.

FuH23DZ.png

This is an embedded link to a picture I made using a screenshot from the boardeditor and some cropping to get rid off stuff that is not needed (I use GIMP for drawing)

Is this the situation? If it is, it is very important to know what was the last move.

Morx

• GaryLShelton likes this

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

Thanks Morx, for the stratego board editor link and this work up of the situation.

Whose move is it is an important question.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#7 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys,
it has been a while so I do not remember the exact situation so who's move it now is I cannot say. But let's assume it is red's turn. When I look at it though it does not really matter as I stick to the opinion for now that blue should be able to at least get a draw out of this. Blue should of course capture the miner and if necessary offer a piece to get it. With good play I cannot see blue put the miner past the defending pieces. Can you?
Greetz, Moghedien.

#8 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

if the situation represented by Morx is correct then i would say it is victory for red if red has to move but a draw if blue has to move.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users