cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:20 PM

Many times when I come back from work and Im tired ,I prefer watching Stratego games among other players  than playing

So yesterday I attended another site that there is the option of viewing live and I was watching games between two very good players (Gkaros vs Bajoshua), which was very interesting both in terms of tactical, movement and speed.

So I wondered if those games were in this site (which is undoubtedly the most popular) and there was a live viewing option how many viewers there will watch...?

Beside the Fun offering such games (like games of tournaments are held here ...), there is the factor of  Learning / Improvement of younger players (and not only).

I think that if at some point decide Admin to proceed with some changes in multiplayer would be brilliant to include on their list the selection Live viewing.

Definitely will help to Spread the game, and the Improvement of active players.

Thanks for your time greetings

• Lonello, papillon and Kernel Mustard like this

#2 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

There should be on opt-out feature for this.

Only players who consent should have their games viewed. 

• papillon, Mr. Smith and sevenseas like this

Terror made me cruel. 

#3 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,577 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

^This

• papillon, Chewtoy and sevenseas like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

#4 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:57 AM

Viewing games of expert players is critically important for learning the game.  I hope this option is added soon.    

• sevenseas likes this

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

My question would be what is the cheating risk for this option? What experience do Gravon and Metaforge have with it?

Is it possible, for example, that extreme note taking could occur with several persons assisting in the endeavor? Is this a realistic concern?

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#6 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

My question would be what is the cheating risk for this option? What experience do Gravon and Metaforge have with it?

Is it possible, for example, that extreme note taking could occur with several persons assisting in the endeavor? Is this a realistic concern?

Everyone is saying he doesn't care about ranking, so not a big deal if someone is helping in a game, isn't it ?

hielco and I used to play viewable at meta and gravon, didn't hurt our ranks

I think this option should be implement with a black list viewer because some players can be a pain in the ♥♥♥ when watching

#7 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

The main "problem" with viewable games it that it gives the viewer an advantage when they play against one of the players they are watching.  Some people don't like this because it levels the playing field somewhat and forces  you to keep changing up your setup.

#8 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:54 PM

Everyone is saying he doesn't care about ranking, so not a big deal if someone is helping in a game, isn't it ?

hielco and I used to play viewable at meta and gravon, didn't hurt our ranks

I think this option should be implement with a black list viewer because some players can be a pain in the ♥♥♥ when watching

Your pieces on Gravon are hidden, so it's a lot harder for viewers to learn your setups/strategy. 

Here the pieces aren't hidden. That's a substantive difference. 

Plus, I don't want my games viewed. If I do, I'll record them and then show them to people I want to. There are too many noobs here that will steal my setups (of which I spent a great deal of time and energy assembling). 

Of course, if you don't care about setups, let people watch your games on your main account, but I reserve the right to my opinion. Also, if Gravon is so great maybe you can let people watch your games there.

This server is not equipped to deal with extra features at this point. I've lost enough points to DC's of late.

• Mr. Smith likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#9 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

Viewing games of expert players is critically important for learning the game.  I hope this option is added soon.    

Yes, it's important to watch games of great players. And some of them are kind enough to share recorded games w/ you and even provide rationale as to why they did certain moves.

Note how I said "some." 

• Aris1970 likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#10 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

Yes, it's important to watch games of great players. And some of them are kind enough to share recorded games w/ you and even provide rationale as to why they did certain moves.

Note how I said "some." 

it's important to watch games of great players but some other changes are most important !!! it's off topic ... I know but ....... I am disapointed !!! In the last days,  I have played with some players (of 750+ ELO) who they did Double-chase (Double-chase is not allowed?)
The 50% of players prefer playing each move per 15 seconds (games Hell)
Some players use excel file noting the setup of their opponents in order to take advantage in the next games.
The silver ranking of stratego.com is junior ranking !!!  There are  ISF rules..........yes or no?
These rules do not apply to tournaments (Divisions). If a player playing each move to 2-4 seconds . he is not rewarded !!!
If ISF rules apply to tournaments (Divisions) then the results would be different. (my opinion) THESE ARE FRIENDLY TOURNAMENTS

NEEDED & URGENT
1. Implementing all the square rules in a correct way
2. ability choice settings (free / bufer / a clock)

• Chewtoy likes this

#11 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

Another very important and related feature that is missing: being able to replay and annotate your games move by move.  In some ways, this is even more helpful to learning because it lets you analyze your play and figure out what mistakes you made and what your opponent did to defeat you.  This option might be even more controversial than viewing live games because it makes it much easier for someone to "steal" one's setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users