The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hi all,

I've recorded and produced my first game video:  http://www.screencast.com/t/LsToL8LQmE

The Prof vs. Kambia, a Division 2 game played on May 17.

For your enjoyment, I edited out long pauses in between moves (cause I'm slow) and I sped the whole thing up to 1.5 speed.  

• Aris1970, Kambia, Dobby125 and 4 others like this

#2 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

Very nice.  Memory concentration is my biggest flaw.  I sometimes lose track of the top pieces during the middle of the game.  Is that the Marshal attacking me???

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#3 SEKERTZISS

SEKERTZISS

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

Very nice  mats !! Good Kampia good !!!

• Kambia likes this

#4 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

Really good game
Kambia plays "live stratego" very very good ..... (I think better than "online stratego")
I saw this in yesterday's live event

• Kambia likes this

#5 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

The Prof you did a great job and also made excellent opponent choise
Kambia with a little bit more attention would  win this game, however you clearly show the improvement that I have mention after our own game.
For these reasons I congratulate you both

Ps Kambia nice setup

• Kambia likes this

#6 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

Thanks cflag, I think my main mistakes were mixing up the colonel and marshal of course, but also I completely forgot about Kambia's spy late in the game.  When it didn't evade my sergeant I assumed that piece must have been a sergeant so I didn't attack it.   In hindsight I should have.  Even if it was a sergeant, she could have forced me to trade anyway, and at the time I was down only two sergeants but I thought I was down three.  Kambia helped me by trading marshals with a spy advantage and trading down other pieces to activate my lieutenant advantage, and she gave up a sergeant to my captain that she didn't need to.  Also, I'm lucky she didn't pressure me to attack with my miner her unknown sergeant that was coming toward my flag, since I probably would have attacked it.  That sergeant was her only line of defense on that side of her flag so when it moved to the middle it gave a free path for my miner.  But it's always easier to see mistakes afterward than in the heat of battle. :)    

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:31 AM

I was surprised by the sacrifice is the major for the captain to discover the general early. But then that's probably why I'm merely meager general material right now.
  • Cannan likes this

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#8 Cannan

Cannan

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

I was surprised by the sacrifice is the major for the captain to discover the general early. But then that's probably why I'm merely meager general material right now.

I do not agree with this, because you get a captain in the deal and you find out one of your opponent's 4 high pieces in exchange for only a major... A very good trade IMO.

• sevenseas likes this

I was surprised when playing a game to find the opponent's flag in the front row. I would think guarded by bombs in the back row would make more sense.

#9 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

I do not agree with this, because you get a captain in the deal and you find out one of your opponent's 4 high pieces in exchange for only a major... A very good trade IMO.

I do this most battles. I see a piece that's heavily defended and will take with the piece next up the chain to get the info. You normally get the gen or marsh revealed which is good info.
I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#10 Cannan

Cannan

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

I do this most battles. I see a piece that's heavily defended and will take with the piece next up the chain to get the info. You normally get the gen or marsh revealed which is good info.

Yes, or you get a free captain captured!

I was surprised when playing a game to find the opponent's flag in the front row. I would think guarded by bombs in the back row would make more sense.

#11 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Here was my thinking into this:  I was already down a captain, so by taking the captain I get even in captains but am down a major instead.  All else equal, my opponent would have a one high piece advantage in the end, but at that point it won't matter whether it is a major or a captain.  What I gained in the exchange is the information of the general's location.  I didn't take a material advantage of this knowledge very well, but it did make the marshal's location more obvious, as it was the only logical piece to be protecting a major on the other side, so the info led to the discovery of even better info.  Now, I wouldn't have been happy if I had instead found only a colonel, but since I already knew one colonel I figured I was more likely to find a general or marshal.

• Sohal and Moriarty like this

#12 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

... so if we were to use a more mathematical language here we would say that 7 = 6+info ... lol
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#13 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

that's true because he was down a cap before

#14 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

I would say that this kind of information trade certainly might work in higher ranks but I doubt that it would do as good in the lower. That is because information may not be utilized well once gained.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#15 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:45 AM

The Prof vs. Luckypapa, a Divsion 2 game played on May 24

http://www.screencast.com/t/oaeOX9BKQI

• Luckypapa and maxroelofs like this

#16 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

@ The Prof. I like most you reduced a 1:16:27 match back to less of half an hour. Makes it very watchable. Keep making them!

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#17 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:53 AM

very good

I like the arrows with comments

#18 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

The Prof vs. Spyros77, a Division 2 game played on May 29.

http://www.screencas...m/t/CxfDIQVP6WR

• Cannan likes this

#19 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• NASF Committee
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

I have a new video, with commentary, to add to the collection:  The Prof vs. Zoroaster (789 rating)

http://www.screencas...m/t/x5AivAEY3rv

Enjoy!

• tobermoryx and Cannan like this

#20 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,177 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:46 PM

I don't like games so much when the marshals and generals are all gone in the 1st 5 minutes but that was a good one.

The comment function is a very good feature . Always frustrating when you realize you had a clear path to win the game but didn't take it and then it's too late .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users