KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

Dear community in stratego.com

100 days remaining for the official  start of 18th world championship in stratego which   will be held in the Town Hall of Waterloo in Belgium.
Beginning today an online newspaper will inform you for everything about this big event with a wealth of material (documents , photo, useful informations)  before , during and after the WC . Also here you can read some interesting statistics from the 17 previous tournaments.
In this topic we ask you to post if you are interesting to join. Additionally you can ask everything according the event , exchange thoughts and opinions etc.

My personal advice is ......
DO NOT MISS THIS EVENT!!!
DO NOT LOSE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE AN UNFORGETABLE EXPERIENCE!!!

• playa1 and papillon like this

#2 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

HjBwE6M.png

Invitation World Championship Stratego 2015
August 20th – 23rd in Waterloo, Belgium

Welcome to Waterloo
From Thursday August 20th till Sunday August 23rd 2015 the 18th official World Championship Stratego will be held in the Town Hall of Waterloo in Belgium. Exactly 200 years after the famous Battle of Waterloo (1815), we will relive the Battle with our own Napoleonic pieces. Knowing our beloved game of Stratego is based on the Napoleonic era, we cannot think of a more suitable location for the 2015 World Champions. Who will win the championship, and who will finds her or his Waterloo?

Everyone who likes Stratego can participate in this WC. Young and old players, beginners and advanced players; everyone will meet opponents of more or less the same level. The WC Stratego offers fun, excitement and the chance to gain eternal fame. Apart from that there are game prizes, cups, medals and several monetary prizes to be won.

Stratego is one of the most popular board games of all times. All over the world more than 20 million Stratego board games have been sold. Many generations have grown up with this amazing game where players with red and blue armies try to out-manoeuvre each other with strategically and tactically superior moves. Because of its popularity the Stratego game producer Jumbo has created www.stratego.com, an international Stratego website where tens of thousands players meet to play Stratego online.

Jumbo is the main sponsor of the World Championship Stratego 2015. With this support from Jumbo we can offer a top notch tournament at a great historic location. Jumbo declared 2015 to be THE Stratego year. In 2015 Jumbo launched multiple new Strategogames such as Stratego Waterloo.

Since 1997 the Stratego World Championship is granted by the International Stratego Federation (ISF) and organised by ISF or one of the associated Stratego Organisations. The WC offers a very comfortable atmosphere for playing a good tournament while meeting new international Stratego players and having fun.

On behalf of the International Stratego Federation, we invite you to show that you dare to join the battle of the Waterloo Stratego World Championship 2015.

Meet you in Waterloo,

Tim Slagboom and Anjo Travaille
International Stratego Federation

Full invitation here: http://i.imgur.com/RUCMbcg.jpg

registration form IBIS hotel here :  http://imgur.com/xTX4438     AI3JCPT.png

• playa1 and papillon like this

#3 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

There are many ways go to  Waterloo.
If interested in a financial proposal see the following video  :lol:

• Aris1970, playa1 and papillon like this

#4 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:00 PM

Accomodation
The official WC players hotel

AjX34mu.png

5-7 min walk from the Town Hall of Waterloo

2aI9ktX.png

The place offers nice rooms to rest yourself before and after the ''battles'' 
The girl in photo doesn't include in offer  :P
MXZkjGt.jpg

The perfect place to take your breakfast and make your plans for the battle. ;)
gA8aQ87.png

• Aris1970, playa1 and Cannan like this

#5 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

Playing location - Waterloo Community Building (Town city hall)

outside view

fqJc6DN.jpg

Main entrance - reception hall

02Tj0pb.jpg

Main room for the event (250m2 + 60m2 stage) (please imagine the red seats in the big room being away)

7zf3GCM.jpg

utility room  (50m2)  

7vlUKiP.jpg

• playa1 likes this

#6 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:31 PM

History and interesting statistics of the world championship in stratego.

In Waterloo there will be held the 18th tournament. These are some interesting statistics from the previous 17  events from 1997 - 2014 There are many and interesting findings. 

- The country we played the most WC's is England 5 times (1997-2000 and 2011)
Next with 3 times comes Belgium ( now in Waterloo will be the 4th.) Germany and Netherlands .

Austria , Ukraine and Greece once.

''all the citys were the WC was held.''

London (GB) 1997-1998- 1999 -2000
Berlin  (DE)   2001 and 2013
Rotterdam (NL) 2002
Wien  (AT) 2004
Antwerpen (BE) 2004-2006 - 2007
Kievo (UA) 2008
Gladbeck (DE) 2009
Maastricht (NL) 2010
North Shields (GB) 2011
Haastrecht (NL) 2012
Thessaloniki (GR) 2014

-  During these 17 events there are 797 participations from 15 different countries.

Almost 50% of the participations comes from Netherlands and almost 27% from Germany. 

NL 395
DE 212
BE 59
GB 45
UA 36
GR 12
CZ  10 
FR  8
TR  7
US  3
NO  3
ES- BASQUE 3
IE 2
IT 1
SE 1

- The average participation is 47 players per WC. If we seperate the WC into 2 periods (before and after 2005) we have the following average 
Before 2005 (8 events) : average 55
After    2005 (9 events) : average 39
That means that between these 2 periods there was a decrease in participations almost 30%
Biggest participation was in Rotterdam 2002 with 73 players.
Lowest record was in Nort Shields 2011 with 23 players.
Most countries in an event was in London 1997 and in Berlin 2001 . In both of these events players from 8 different countries participated.
Only Netherlands has had participation in every tournament (17/17)
England and Germany come next with 16/17.  England wasn't present in Kievo 2008 and Germany in Thessaloniki 2014

-  Netherlands has won 15/17 WC . England (with Richard Ratcliffe )  in 2011 and Germany ( with Annies Steffen)  in 2009 won the remaing 2 tournaments.

- Most time word champion is Eric van den Berg with 4 trophies ( 3 in a row 2000 - 2002)
Vincent de boer and Pim Niemeijer follow with 3 trophies.
3 players (all of them dutch) Eric van den Berg in 2006 , Vincent de boer in 2003 and Adriaansen  Luc in 1998 have won the WC with only wins !!!

- Biggest winning streak belongs to Vincent de boer with 15 wins in a row  (between 2002-2004)

- Biggest unbeatable  streak belongs to Tim Slagboom  with 23 games in a row without defeat ( 2012-2014) . At this point I want to mention that this unbelievable streak stopped from a great Greek player George Petroulakis.
Tie situations in which Buchholz points determined the world champion were in 6 WC.
5 times it was between 2 players (2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2007 - 2014 ) and 1 time between 4 players (2009)
In all the WC except 2 ( in 1999 and in 2007)  there was game between the first 2 players. In these 2 tournaments there wasn't game between the world champion and the player who got the 2nd place.

- The most unhappy and unlucky player should be George Franka who was involved in the tie situation in 2009 and got the 4th place despite the fact that he won all the players who took the 3 medals.

- George Franka is also the player who has attended most WC's
Actually he has played in ALL (17/17)!!!!!!!!! His best perfomance was in 2009 and last year in Thessaloniki . Both years lost the title of WChampion in tie situations (4th and 2nd) . Also in the first WC (2007) he was 2nd . His worst perfomance was 2008 when he finished 22nd
Franka  except the record of most games in WC  is the recordman of winning games (100 is the total number) far away from the second 
His stats are 100 wins -  16 draws - 45 defeats
Definitely George is an alive legend of WC's history

• KingTubby, dutchkillers, Luckypapa and 16 others like this

#7 playa1

playa1

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

Thank you for all the information and nice statistics Greg!

For sure I will be there to defend my title and hope to meet as many as possible players from stratego.com.

There is only one thing better than playing stratego online: playing stratego on a real board with 100 others at an historic location!

Meet you in Waterloo!

Playa1

Tim

• KARAISKAKIS and papillon like this

#8 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

Nice job Greg, can you add online's names for those players ?

#9 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

Nice job Greg, can you add online's names for those players ?

Done.  Vincent also played some games here but i do not remember his account. I have no informations about Franka or the other players i have mention in my statistics.

Will you join the event?

#10 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Update: In following links you can see the full invitation of the WC with all the informations. Also there is a registration form for those who wish book in IBIS hotel

Full invitation here: http://i.imgur.com/RUCMbcg.jpg

registration form IBIS hotel here :  http://imgur.com/xTX4438   

#11 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,035 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

If you want to join the tournament, you can send me a personal message, or you can send it to Greg if you are Greek, I'm sure he wouldn't mind to translate it. I will then send you the Facebook invitation, if you let us know you want to participate, we got a special discount for you!

Don't let the opportunity pass to join in this marvelous event! :)

• KARAISKAKIS and papillon like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#12 John Collasky

John Collasky

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:48 AM

Hi players !

I'm very happy the WC will take place this year in Belgium, my country.

I never participate a WC, but for sure i'll be there in Waterloo !!

Thank you for all the informations about the WC, this is very interesting.

I hope to see all of the best players, this is the biggest stratego event after all !!

I wish you great success and i hope i can attract some belgian players.

See you soon,

Collart Loris.

• KARAISKAKIS and SEKERTZISS like this

#13 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Video gallery

In the following links you can take a picture of what means to participate in such big events like the world championship in Stratego

Kievo (UA) 2008  https://youtu.be/BIeRcOeIAQk

Gladbeck (DE) 2009  https://youtu.be/nBTu8BbEVow

North Shields (GB) 2011 https://youtu.be/tvr99USQwSI   &  https://youtu.be/Ew3MQqQKYNg

Berlin  (DE) 2013  https://youtu.be/8bDxb_E5nrw

Thessaloniki (GR) 2014 https://youtu.be/YHFY2PcWdyA   &  https://youtu.be/ZDCl2t757-Q

• SEKERTZISS and playa1 like this

#14 playa1

playa1

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Very nice videos!

Another beautiful video will be added after the Waterloo event :-).

• KARAISKAKIS and SEKERTZISS like this

#15 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,737 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

Was 2012 held in Holland? You must have some pics from that then, Playa1?

Lo

#16 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

Was 2012 held in Holland? You must have some pics from that then, Playa1?

In this link http://www.metaforge.../WC2012pics.zip you can find many photos from the event of 2012 in Haastrecht (Holland)

I was pretty sure that there is a video also in you tube but I can not find it

#17 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Vote

Who will be the next Senior World Champion at the prestigious 2015 Waterloo edition?

What country will win the Stratego 2015 world championship country competition?

Visit facebook in this link and give your vote and your comment

https://www.facebook...39225286157265/

• playa1 likes this

#18 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

Quick update

Until now and according the given informations from the facebook page of the WC in Waterloo  (https://www.facebook...39225286157265/) , players from 8 different countries have already publish their wish to attend this big event.   Belgium, Greece, Netherlands, France, England, Germany, Spain/Basque and USA.
There is a reasonable hope and expectation that the participation will be big and it is quite certain that this prestigious event will be one of the biggest in participation ever !!! 

At this point I want to give a valuable  advice to those players who hesitate to join WC not because of the cost but because of the fear of failure :
To be a world champion is a dream and of course this dream can easily become a nightmare but at least you will earn the experience of living the passion and the fun  to achieve this dream and believe me this is what matters more than all !!!
The trip to a destination,  not  the destination itself.

In sports ,this thing which worths most is the participation , not the win.
                                                                                 ( spirit of the  olympic games )

• playa1 likes this

#19 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

WC update and info to all players

Dear Stratego friends,

Together with the players we can make the 2015 Stratego World Championships in Waterloo the best WC ever. Waterloo is a beautiful historic location exactly 200 years after the battle of Waterloo. We expect many junior and senior participants and we would like to welcome players from many different countries. With less than 6 weeks to go we give you an update concerning the developments of the World Championship. (20/8- 23/8 Waterloo Belgium)

IBIS Stratego Hotel
We made a reservation for 20 - 30 rooms at the IBIS hotel. We estimate that this is the best hotel, nearby the town hall, with good rooms. We negotiated a reduced price for Stratego players for which you must use the attached registration form. registration form IBIS hotel here :  http://imgur.com/xTX4438
More than 50% of the rooms is already booked. So if you want to stay in the official WC Stratego hotel, make your booking within the next weeks or so. The WC organization team will also stay at the IBIS hotel, we already made our bookings. If you want to stay in another location, also don’t wait too long. Waterloo is a popular holiday location.

Participants
On the Facebook page https://www.facebook...39225286157265/  we already have 33 participants and we have 12 participants that might come. We also have a number of participants that don’t use facebook. In that case you can contact via e-mail Steven van den Enden (stevenvandenenden@hotmail.com) . It is useful to subscribe before the WC. You will get a reduction on your entrance fee and the organization can make better estimations about the things we need for this World Championship. 

The best 4 senior players from each country can attend to the WC for countries on Sunday. We expect that Belgium, Greece, Germany, England, France, Spain - Basque and the Netherlands will participate. We still hope for enough participants from USA.

Extra’s
Philip Bergiers, the best known Belgian Stratego player offered to bring players from the airport in Brussels directly to Waterloo with a bus. What a service!
In June Jumbo promoted Waterloo Stratego and the World Championship Stratego at the Waterloo Re-enactment event.
We are preparing special WC Waterloo T-shirts with the special Waterloo 2015 flag. You will see them at the WC.
We know at least one player will attend to the Waterloo championship dressed as a 1815 soldier. Lets see if this will influence his results.

Meet you in Waterloo!

Regards,
The WC Organisation Team

• playa1 likes this

#20 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

26 days remaining for the official opening of the big battle in Waterloo.

Will you miss it?

yCw2x8M.jpg

40YlJqD.png  Koninklijke Jumbo

World Championship Stratego 2015
                     August 20th – 23rd in Waterloo, Belgium

DO NOT MISS THIS EVENT!!!

DO NOT LOSE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE AN UNFORGETABLE EXPERIENCE!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users