josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

I'm curious to know what stratego players professions and ages are, also linked to their country, rank and name, and duration actively playing stratego - with no pressure to share all. This information would be interesting to me and possibly others, for some of the following reasons:

1. Is there a correlation between a person's rank and their type of profession? For example, are higher ranked players generally in professions that require a lot of analytical thinking - like professors, engineers, scientists, consultants, etc. - this is my assumption, but I could be wrong.
  2. The age and duration playing stratego are interesting as these could show whether the active stratego community (at least those on this forum) are retirees, middle aged or younger people. It would also be nice to see if higher ranked players are generally older and/or having played longer (indicating more experience in the game and not just pure ability). It also shows whether Stratego might be a dying or growing community, if there are few or many young people actively involved.

Here is a template that can be copied and pasted with answers:

1. Real name: 

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 

3. Country: 

4. Profession: 

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 

6. Age: 

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: 

• KARAISKAKIS and Cannan like this

#2 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

Here's my personal answers:

1. Real name: Joe White

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 550-700

3. Country: South Africa

4. Profession: Social Entrepreneur / Development Consultant

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 4 months (plus ~3 months in 2012 on Metaforge)

6. Age: 36

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Born and raised in California, USA, moved to South Africa in 1996 to set up non profits and businesses doing development work

• NTactical-Reboot and Cannan like this

#3 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

1. Real name: Joshua

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): Between 650 and 750.

3. Country: UK

4. Profession: Programmer

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: Around 9 months.

6. Age: Old enough.

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Born and Raised within the UK. Stratego isn't very popular or well-known here. I found the game by playing a Nintendo DS game called "Clubhouse Games" with my friends. Among the usual card and board games (poker, chess etc), it also had a minigame called Field Tactics which was a variant of Stratego that got my friends and I hooked. :)

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#4 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

1. Real name: Max

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 820

3. Country: Holland

4. Profession: Nothing yet, studying medicine at Radboud university

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: Not sure.. it's more than a year, less than 2 years lol

6. Age: Just turned 19

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Hmm.. I don't really know, i travelled to the Mediterranean by bike, starting from holland, took me around 20 days. 

• NTactical-Reboot, josephwhite and Cannan like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#5 Sgt. Blkdog

Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

1. Will

2. 538

3. USA

4. PBX (phone system) Technician

5. I've known how to play for about 45 years.

6. 56

7. My commute usually consists of a 30 minute drive, 1:15 minute bus ride, and 15 minutes on a bicycle

The ride home, is about 30-45 minutes longer.

Wuf!

#6 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

1. Real name: Felix

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 450-500

3. Country: Germany

4. Profession: Student

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 13 months 

6. Age: 18

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Hm, I'm a big filmfan, I love to write poems and I found this website because my girlfriend was tired of playing stratego with me. :D

#7 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:18 AM

1. Real name: Felix

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 450-500

3. Country: Germany

4. Profession: Student

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 13 months 

6. Age: 18

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Hm, I'm a big filmfan, I love to write poems and I found this website because my girlfriend was tired of playing stratego with me. :D

What and were do you study if i may ask? :)

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#8 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:24 AM

1. Real name: Rob

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 600-650 (On Brainwashed.  560 retired on Midnightguy

3. Country: Detroit suburbs Michigan USA

4. Profession: Sales

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 2-3 years on this site and a year or so on Onlinestratego.com (the  site this one took over.  One of the sites first Moderators and helped form the Justice Committee now Moderator Team and returned after 8 months taking some time away from site.

6. Age: 43

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Played Statego back in the late 70s as a kid but, rediscovered game about 5 years ago and played against a friend and he got tired of losing so looked online for a challenge.  

• Moghedien and josephwhite like this

#9 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

1. Real name: My real name is often reduced to a 3 letters shortcut. If you write the number corresponding the position in the alphabet of the first letter on the right of this of the 2nd letter you get a 2 digit number that corresponds to the position in the alphabet of the 3rd letter minus the position in the alphabet of the 2nd letter... and I'm a male
2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): 850+
3. Country: a come from a small country in the middle of Europe but that does not belong to the European community
4. Profession: not important on stratego.com
5. Duration actively playing Stratego: I started on stratego.com in spring 2013, became silver in july 2013, got 800+ in march 2014, stagnated there for about a year a recently understood and applied some end game principles that seem to pay off as my ranking starts raising again
6. Age: When Max will have my current age, my age at that time will be equal to x times the age Max had x years ago. But at that time if my age would be x years more then it would be equal to (x+1) times the age Max had (x+1) years ago ... have fun calculating my age
7. Anything else interesting about yourself: born in Argentina, grew up in Germany, France and Switzerland ... like overall international and intercultural contacts and I'm travelling a lot which is also an important part of my job.

• maxroelofs, Kambia, Moghedien and 1 other like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#10 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,442 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

One of the most interesting topics ever in this site!!!  Nice idea from Joe which will definitely help in future to create  a ''live'' online community

1. Real name: Greg

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): estimated 800-850 current 824

3. Country: Greece

4. Profession: Orthopaedic surgeon working in child's hospital

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: 5 years,  started from Onlinestratego.com , then in metaforge (1,5 year) and since November 2012 in stratego.com. 

6. Age: 2 days older than Napoleon (see my profile)

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: Representative member of GSF    in ISF.  

My activity during my free time  is to help to develop and spread stratego in my country as much as possible  and my dream is someday see our favorite sport in the place it deserves to be , and this is among OLYMPIC GAMES. 

#11 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

What and were do you study if i may ask? :)

Not in the universitiy or something - Student = In a school which prepares for an economic job. (I think there is no word for it in english, you can visit it after you have finished the medium graduation).

• maxroelofs and NTactical-Reboot like this

#12 Alister777

Alister777

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Nice topic.

1. Real name: Neven Zarkovic

2. Stratego ranking (either current or estimated average): Currently 670 (Silver sergeant)

3. Country: Serbia

4. Profession: Economics student

5. Duration actively playing Stratego: about 10 months online, but also played when I was a little boy

6. Age: just turned 21

7. Anything else interesting about yourself: I live in Belgrade...I'm writting a book (Alister is the main character)... I love Snooker, Cycling, Ski jumping...music (heavy metal), religion (Orthodox)...I have a rabbit...

Thanks for this opportunity to introduce myself  :) 

• Aris1970 and NTactical-Reboot like this

TMp6Ytg.jpg

#13 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

6. Age: When Max will have my current age, my age at that time will be equal to x times the age Max had x years ago. But at that time if my age would be x years more then it would be equal to (x+1) times the age Max had (x+1) years ago ... have fun calculating my age.

Or one could just visit your profile. Lol

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

Or one could just visit your profile. Lol

...shhhhhtttt!!! ;)

• sevenseas likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#15 Moghedien

Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi guys,
happy to introduce myself:
- stratego ranking: 600-700 (hoping to be a steady 700+ in a few months.)
- Profession: CPA/manager/consultant (pick one)
- duration playing: about 2 yrs now
- age: 6 years younger than Napoleon 1er (wanted to make a mathematical problem for you all to solve, but I save you the trouble)
- I'm a Man Utd fan since I was a kid. Do not know if that is making me any friends among you, but there it is. Favourite music is the real stuff from long ago (Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, UK ...)

See you all on the battlefield!
  • NTactical-Reboot likes this

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt

#16 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Napoleon, based on your answers I'm even more curious to know your profession :)  I gave up working out the equation on your age, even when I knew the answer from your profile. I also couldn't work out your abbreviated name. I got the following potential combinations, of which none seem to be a name:

SPJDfO3.png

#17 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Napoleon, based on your answers I'm even more curious to know your profession :)  I gave up working out the equation on your age, even when I knew the answer from your profile. I also couldn't work out your abbreviated name. I got the following potential combinations, of which none seem to be a name:

SPJDfO3.png

read again the description ... the position in the alphabet of the 1st letter shall be written on the right of this the 2nd ...

#18 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm 7 years older than the age joesphwhite was when he was half the age of Napoleon 1er. Pretty simple problem for you mathiacs here. :)

#19 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

Napoleon, I think I still didn't get it. See below:

x0WnfqF.png

Maybe Cal?

#20 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,633 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

...lol... read again ,,, letter 3 you indicate does not correspond to the description... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users