Photo

move time - buffer time - set up time in stratego.com

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Stratego move time. Is there need to be changed? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

free - buffer - set up time. Which proposal do you believe that will be the best in stratego.com?

1. 15 sec - 5 min - 7 min (as it is already now) (18 votes [43.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. 8 sec - 10 min - 6 min (17 votes [41.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

3. 4 sec - 16 min - 5 min ( ISF clock adjustments in live tournaments) (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 slowhand

slowhand

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

if someone prefers 15 sec free for each move then think.................
or he is young child (it's about playground) or he is cheater using software to keep track of pieces or using spreadsheets during the game !!!

Your are obviously an experienced player. Therefore I understand you are quick. But I am not a child, and I am not using software ore spreadsheets. I am just a beginner who is used to calculate variations from playing chess. And in Stratego you sometimes also have to calculate. Of course not that deep like in chess, but some moves for sure. One example: Recently I played an endgame, where I had one scout, some miners and at least one 4 left. None of them had moved, and my opponent knew nothing about my setup. He had for pieces left, all higher than mine (5/6). I knew his hole setup. He had to protect his flag with one of his pieces from one side, the other 3 pieces could move. I was not sure, but thougt this should be a draw, although I had to play carefully. He wanted to win and chased my scout for I guess more than 100 moves. And there were a lot of situations, where I had to calculate, in order to keep the piece. Sometimes 15 sec were not enough. Finally I run out of time and lost. There have been some connectivity ore software problems too, which means that the pieces did often not react immidiatly, but since this happens sometimes you have to take this also into consideration when talking about move time.

Edited by GaryLShelton, 15 August 2015 - 07:26 AM.
To fix quote separation in post.

• The Prof likes this

#22 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

I would like the following:
1. Implementing all the square rules in a correct way
2. ability choice settings (free / bufer / a clock)
3. history games for all players

I wonder the stratego.com would like to do these changes because I guess it takes some costs !!!
think so!!!  for this reason (the history games for all players) is not be both necessary as the first 2

The next poll will be :

Implementing all the square rules in a correct way   &  ability choice settings (free / bufer / a clock)

or   

playground

#23 Reo

Reo

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

We would like to know your recent opinion  about the clock adjustments in stratego com.

Move (free ) time the time you have for each move

Buffer time is the personal time you have and starts countdown in each move after free time has passed 

Set up time is the available time to create  your set up.

Current clock settings in stratego.com are:

15 sec ( move time)  - 5 min (buffer time)  - 7 min (set up time)

I prefer something like:

Full Arena: 

20 sec ( move time)  - 7 min (buffer time)  - 3 min (set up time)

only for bronze

15 sec ( move time)  - 5 min (buffer time)  - 2 min (set up time)

only for silver

Conclusion, i only think the set-up time is annoying... But i presume everbody uses saved set-ups

By the way:

Quick Arena:

10 sec ( move time)  - 1 min (buffer time)  - 2 min (set up time)

#24 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

We would like to know your recent opinion about the clock adjustments in stratego com.
Move (free ) time the time you have for each move
Buffer time is the personal time you have and starts countdown in each move after free time has passed
Set up time is the available time to create your set up.

Current clock settings in stratego.com are:
15 sec ( move time) - 5 min (buffer time) - 7 min (set up time)

KARAISKAKIS, with the options given in the poll I will choose for things to remain the same. I would personally vote to reduce the setup time to 3 minutes, and make it 15, 5, 3, but that was not a combination choice.

I really think it would be helpful, with your experience, to explain to everyone how the timers work in a live wc or ISF tourney game. They are quite different from here. Please explain the concept of free time versus move time. This will help clarify choice #3, I think.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#25 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

I also want to express an opinion no one has voiced yet: I do not want to see a whole variety of timer choices for players in the game. As much as humanly possible it would be better to have the timers and the rules...in short, the way that the game is played...be the same for everyone. There will be natural differences between a live and an online game, naturally. These are to be expected. But if we start having different options available online it will not only take longer to connect with players that are choosing the exact same parameters, it will make the games somewhat apples and oranges. They will be hard to compare. For example, a player's ELO might be 700 playing a slower game. But is that a realistic ELO if he one time chooses a faster game? And then what would tournament rules be? The fast players would want their tournaments and the slow theirs.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#26 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:14 AM

KARAISKAKIS, with the options given in the poll I will choose for things to remain the same. I would personally vote to reduce the setup time to 3 minutes, and make it 15, 5, 3, but that was not a combination choice.

I really think it would be helpful, with your experience, to explain to everyone how the timers work in a live wc it ISF tourney game. They are quite different from here.

It is simple.

Usually time settings in a WC live game in seniors competition are:

- 5min set up  time

- 4sec free time

- 16.04 min personal(buffer) time

Game has a deadline of one hour. That  means that if there are still movable pieces on the board after 1 hour,  game ends as a tie.

Buffer time works as in online. If you lose it you lose the game. You have 4 sec free to make a complete move and after that any additional time is needed to make this move, you lose it from the buffer.

To understand better what is a ''complete move'' read the following ISF rules :

06 The sequence of a single move
A Move (also called “a turn”) comprises one of
the following sequences of activities:
Pressing the clock is not part of a move. It‟s
just mentioned to show, at which part of a
move a player is entitled to press the clock.
6.1 Moving without attacking
 take your own piece in your hand
 move it to any legal free square
 release it
 (- press the clock)
6.2 Moving, attacking and losing your piece
 touch or turn the opponent‟s piece
 show and mention the rank of your
own piece
 return the opponent‟s piece in its
original state
 hand over your piece to your opponent
or lay it in his box
 (- press the clock)
6.3 Moving, attacking and winning your
opponent‟s piece
own piece
 take the opponent‟s piece
 (- press the clock)
 put the piece visible in your box
 (-if not done before: press the clock)
6.4 Moving and attacking with equal pieces
own piece
 hand over your piece to the opponent
or lay it in his box
 take the opponent‟s piece
 (- press the clock)
 put the piece visible in your box
 (-if not done before: press the clock)

#27 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,219 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

Thanks! I can see a lot of abuse online with a 16 minute buffer. However, with such a quick play format there may not, as a rule, be much buffer left. Yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users