Photo

move time - buffer time - set up time in stratego.com

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Stratego move time. Is there need to be changed? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

free - buffer - set up time. Which proposal do you believe that will be the best in stratego.com?

1. 15 sec - 5 min - 7 min (as it is already now) (18 votes [43.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. 8 sec - 10 min - 6 min (17 votes [41.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

3. 4 sec - 16 min - 5 min ( ISF clock adjustments in live tournaments) (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,454 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

We would like to know your recent opinion  about the clock adjustments in stratego com.

Move (free ) time the time you have for each move

Buffer time is the personal time you have and starts countdown in each move after free time has passed 

Set up time is the available time to create  your set up.

Current clock settings in stratego.com are:

15 sec ( move time)  - 5 min (buffer time)  - 7 min (set up time)

#2 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

The settings (14 min buffer time , 5 sec free , 65 min set up + game ....as live stratego game) should be applied to online tournaments.
Since that there are here many young people & beginner players , i see an intermediate arrangement as 8-10 min game buffer time , 8 sec free (move timer) , 6 min setup time 

@The prof
The latest poll was wrong, we should do a new poll combining and of three parameters together (buffer time , move timer , setup time)

if  and I'm a fan of the proposal : 4 sec - 16 min - 5 min ( ISF clock adjustments in live tournaments) , but....as i said : since that there are here many young people & beginner players 
I vote  (8 sec move time  -   10 min buffer time -  6 min set up time)

#3 WileEPirate

WileEPirate

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

What is the point of making this kind of polls when, whatever we choose, everything will stay the same? If behind them were people who are authorized and willing to implement what we choose, they would have sense... I'm not against the discussion about this or any subject, but polls of this kind are vainly...

#4 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

@WileEPirate
it's not vainly !!!
stratego.com should lower the move timer it will result to a cleaner  stratego game
You should vote and maybe to help to a cleaner stratego game

#5 WileEPirate

WileEPirate

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

Both things are very annoying, when people misuse their time for move (weather they stall, or take notes), or when people wait for their buffer to runs out... Also when they wait the last second of their set up time... So for me the best option would be maybe 10s move  5m buffer  4m set up... But then we might have problem with the lack of time for capturing screenshots of draw refusals, and everyone knows how that can be tricky job... And also, I don't know if someone else has that problem, sometimes due to explosions when opponent attack my piece, I'm not able to make move for some 7-8 seconds...

But again, I don't see purpose of this poll... Even if all members of this forum would voted... There are so many polls on different subjects here, and I don't know a single one which had  influence on the game... That's the only reason why I'm saying it's vainly...

#6 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

IF the site would to go along with the proposed changes of 4 seconds 16 minute buffer, there has to be another rule added:  It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to make a move (the old site OnlineStratego had this 2 minute rule).  If that happened, the game ends.  Why do I propose this?  You think its annoying now when someone waits 4:59 before they leave the table when they are losing...try this for 15:59 seconds and then quits.  

• WileEPirate and Mr. Smith like this

#7 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Do you believe that the admins of stratego.com are willing to make changes that will cost??? 
This proposal is a proposal without cost ! 

#8 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:20 AM

5-5-5

5 Seconds per move

5 minutes buffer

5 minutes to set up.

Ideally, if you want to change the settings for tournaments to allow longer move times you could do so.  IMO that set of time settings would be encouraging to new players and keep more people playing for enjoyment at the site.

• farzad777 likes this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:32 AM

Well if the site was able to make a timer separate for events and regular games, then I see no reason why we can't have other options for regular games.  A quicker timer for fast games and slower timer for players who want to take their time or play a social type game.  

#10 Art.

Art.

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:05 AM

2Nv48Pn.png
The setup time is not an issue to me and thus should always be not voted on or pulled out of the poll.
I use the five of the 7 minutes to get a drink, take the trash out, check info, watch tv, do chores, take a d. etc.
5 minutes would be ideal as setup.

I think your buffer time is too high, and as MGuy says having to wait out an abandoned game when the player does not leave and just sits there and scoffs at you. It would require dollars to be input into programming a "report this player" or like he says a 2 minute must move. The 2 minute rule could be that same 2:30 timer that starts to run when a player actually  leaves the site as it is now. The site doesn't need to know the difference between a discoed player and one who sits, with a 2:30 must move rule. 2:30 is not enough time for my computer to reboot, I need 4.5 minutes anyhow. Yes I left games being a poor sport, but it does not hurt my feelings when it is against me I smile when they run, it gives me time to refresh my drink. And of course I don't care if someone tells me my mom is a witch.

If you want to remove the burden off of each of us to take screenshots to prove draw refusals you have to lower the FREE time significantly less than 10 seconds, and eight seconds is way to many to reduce that burden.
HOWEVER#1. If you are fine with taking umpteen screenshots and losing time in getting mspaint up and typing this and that to your opponent and clicking fast enough so that the timer doesn't run out on you while you're being a policeman to offset the inept baby that programmers gave birth to, and instead want to speed up games just so you can get them finished and get on with your day, in a fair amount of time, then at least lower the FREE time  to 8 seconds and leave the BUFFER time at 5 minutes.
HOWEVER #2 If you instead want to speed up games so that slow play is not rewarded, and fast play is rewarded then lower the FREE time to 4 seconds or so and raise the BUFFER time to 10 minutes. I am not an ISF fan, so just because I say reward fast play that doesn't mean abiding to ISF timers is an end all. Instead punish deliberate slowness that 7 out of 10 times is not used to apply intelligent moves, it is instead used to annoy players who have other things to do in their day. Not one person who has played here 200 games, needs 1 hour of "thought". The deliberate slowness is to make the other player make hasty decisions only because they can't afford to be on the site forever. I am not a fan of scottrussia either, who wants to blow his wad in  2 minutes 15 seconds, I appreciate 90 minute games.

So unsportsmanlike draw refusals aside, a 4 second FREE time combined with a 5 minute timer will make the game to challenging for many, but a 5 second timer and a 10 to 16  minute buffer time will force those shufflers into more meaningful a tad quicker decisive moves that help the game, but not at the burden of making them make bad decisions, rather make them make careful but meaningful moves that move the game forward

#11 jensneuij

jensneuij

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

5 minutes for setup, 4 seconds move time, 12 minutes personal clock, 50 minutes game clock.

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,252 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Seems to me Midnightguy is onto something with his 2 minute rule per move.  We cannot have 10, 12, or 15 minute buffer timers (personal clocks) without something to force the online player to make a move.  In an ISF tournament all you have to do is call the arbiter over and a guy won't be able to waste everyone's time just because he's losing.  Online here?  Different story.  

I myself have never been upset at the 15 second clock and buffer times exactly the way they are, like many in this thread, but I would be happy we could get the site to do a test (in true Beta fashion) of different timers to see how they work here. This is the only way the matter can be resolved, isn't it?  A complete discussion of timers and systems will take place, I'm sure, whenever such a test is announced, and we can all learn more then.   

One thing that I would like to see changed is the setup time.  Let's reduce that to 3-4 minutes. We all have saved setups and it doesn't take 6 or 7 minutes to choose one and go with it.  

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#13 jugoslav

jugoslav

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

non tournament games

20s move time

1min setup time

1min buffer time

otherwise its soooooo boring to wait.

7min(setup)+5min(buffer)+2.5min(disconnection)=14.5min wasted time.

do you have 15min to waste, sorry I don't have.

if you add min 15min for the game its 30min per ordinary game, tooooooooooo much.

for tournament games:

whatever

#14 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

Jugoslav,

The move time at 15 seconds is already too long.

It needs to be reduced - and certainly not increased!

The people that let the buffer run down and then disconnect will just begin to take 20 seconds for every move before disconnecting!

But I absolutely support making the games quicker!

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#15 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

jugoslav, we all can see what you are writing here. Why are you shouting? We all have our opinion about this topic, and yours or mine is not more important than the rest. It's like I am reading the Bild Zeitung...

To the topic: I agree the move time is too long, 5 seconds would be better. The personal buffer time should stay on 5 minutes. 

A comparatively long setup time is important. 5 minutes are also good here. jugoslav, a new user can't create a setup in 1 minute! Please think logically...

• NTactical-Reboot likes this

#16 slowhand

slowhand

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

Since I still lose a significant number of games because of timetrouble, for me the game has not to get quicker. 15 sec per move seems fine, the buffer could be a little bit more (maybee 7), but 5 is also o.k. (I work on my time management) If you think about other options with a much bigger buffer, this could get really annoying online. Unfortunatly there are people out there who want to torture you after losing. Live this would be not a problem at all. 

slowhand

#17 noblevillain

noblevillain

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:22 AM

no increasing the buffer.. noobs running it down 5 min is long enough

#18 Mitthunder

Mitthunder

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Sometimes I lose connection also, even though I have working wired + wireless connection. It runs down my buffer for minutes before the pop up "trying to reconnect" comes on my screen. The problem lies with the server, thus faster moves/buffer would result in more losses due to server failure. The current time is ok. Don't run down your buffer too much because that could cause your loss when this happens.

#19 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

if someone prefers 15 sec free for each move then think................. 
or he is young child (it's about playground) or he is cheater using software to keep track of pieces or using spreadsheets during the game !!!

My son might play in this playground but when playing stratego prefers max 4 sec free for each move ;)

• gravon likes this

#20 gravon

gravon

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

I find outcomes of games versus players who are worried about losing any piece higher than a sargeant tend to be the slowest of games. While they worry about saving every piece , the opponent just eats up all their lower ranked pieces early on and then the game comes down to who has the best endgame. But the cautious player is out of scouts and sargents. The faster player may be down a major but knows all of the high pieces of the opponent. So learn how to play quickly and bluff quickly and your opponent will fear you more.

• GaryLShelton likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users