#1 czafa

czafa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

How come you can't go diagonally? I always played stratego like that! It really confuses me.
  • JimmyvonderAtlantis likes this

#2 Warfen

Warfen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

The official rules of Stratego say that you cannot move diagonally.

Though i am curious how Stratego would play if you were allowed to play diagonally.
How do you play then? Do you allow all pieces to move diagonally, or only certain ranks?

I might give it a try some time to see what its like :)

#3 Tokimitsu

Tokimitsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

If you could move diagonally that would make your bomb placement a little too obvious because if you can just get diagonal from the flag with a scout its an easy game over. I mean if there was an option to play like that in an unranked match it would be pretty cool tho. I sent some feedback on the features page about certain game rules that can be toggled, which would be awesome, and some different game modes. I hope they see it and decide to implement that. I think it would make the game have more play and appeal to more people.

#4 Zapt0r

Zapt0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

hmm, pretty sure that isnt allowed. you should read the rules :P!

still, might be kinda cool to play like this once... will try it out

#5 BLeonard

BLeonard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

The OP might have learned how to play Stratego using the "Ice vs Fire" version. In that version, the pieces with a 5 Rank (Red is a Lava Beast, Blue is a Yeti) were allowed to move digonally.

Personally, I have played a lot on the Probe computer program and the game options allow for Captains (5's) to move diagonally, for Lieutenants (6's) to jump over adjacent pieces, and Sergeants (7's) to cross barriers. You can chek or uncheck these prior to playing to play by the rules you want and to disallow the rules you don't want. Personally, I like the traditional rules, because that's how I have always played... But, others might have learned a different way.

It seems as if a lot of the variations of Stratego over the years have variations in the rules, as well. People likely aslo have their own "House Rules" that they have played by, kinda like how some people put money in the middle of the board for the "Free Parking" spot in Monopoly.

-Bill

#6 czafa

czafa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Ok, the game that I was used to playing was actually a some sort of clone of Stratego with a few changes. It had a very slightly different map (here's a picture: http://postimage.org/image/vx9yn56fp/)
There were one less character and a bit different order of ranks (see the picture)
Another thing was that when the opponent captures your piece with his stronger piece, he doesn't show you his capturing piece. I think this adds to the strategy, as you can defeat many pieces without revealing your piece's exact rank, unless the opponent decides to attacks you.
And the main difference is that all pieces could move diagonally, though could only attack a square next to them. This makes it much easier for example to move between your mines which could be effectively placed in some zigzag pattern. The scout can only move multiple squares forward or backward.

#7 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,015 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

In the Fire and Ice game, the Elf (4) could also make an attack diagonal and shoot across the no man zone. However I never really played with all the "bells and whistles" but I think I do recall only the Lava Beast/Yeti (5) could attack on the diagonal but that was part of a full out attack on all 8 points of attack. If somehow it was surrounded by eight pieces 4 or lower, it could clear them all in one attack. However, if one pieces is 5 or higher it was removed from the game. As far as I remembered, it still have to follow the straight one space movement.

"To strengthen one area of the battlefield, you must weaken another" -- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#8 trickz

trickz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Spy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

How come you can't go diagonally? I always played stratego like that! It really confuses me.

Lol,....maybe the ISF will implement this rule as well one day.
I wouldn't be surprised B)
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#9 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

play SWG. There the rules are allowed. But you most many things learn, a ranks as Emperor-Pauw and Spy can moved diagonal with 50 pieces. When you play 100 pieces than come a rank as President_pauw. Allowed diagonal moved too. Big game than are more pieces moved diagonal. Tanks can same do it as a Horse at chess but can move diagonal and can only attacked with a airplane as same rank or higher. Much of fun but you really play 3600 pieces?

101-SWG-Universum Pauw.png
102-SWG-Pauw.png
103-SWG-Keizer Pauw.png
104-SWG-President Pauw.png
105-SWG-Wereldkeizer.png
106-SWG-Wereldkoning.png
107-SWG-Wereldpresident.png
108-SWG-Wereldvicepresident.png
109-SWG-Rhan.png
110-SWG-Kalief Paus.png
111-SWG-Paus.png
151-SWG-3e Luitenant.png
152-SWG-Onderluitenant.png
153-SWG-Kornet.png
154-SWG-Feldwebel.png
177-SWG-Spion.png
178-SWG-Topspion.png
179-SWG-Superspion.png

Pieces they can moved diagonal by SWG.

And a airplane can jump yours pieces but one off your opponent pieces. It is more a super scout but can attack a tank. A tank kan attack everybody but not a mine and a sergeants ranks. And the city's are more fun. when you attack one opponent city than he most surrender all his pieces in that playfield.   B)  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users