Sgt. Blkdog

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

I'm interested in what the Europeans have to say on the subject but first I will give my personal experience dating back some 40+ years.

2nd languages were not taught in our public school system until we reached 7th Grade (age 11-13)

The languages offered were Spanish, German, French, and Latin.

Spanish was the most popular.

following in the footsteps of my two older brothers, I chose German.

I remember almost nothing of those 2-4 years but I think once a week we had to recite 4 or 5 lines of dialog.

Following is 2 lines of one of those dialogs that are stuck in my brain ... forgive my spelling..

Wohin gehst du jetzt Helga?

Wir gehen ins Kino, Und einen?

Translation

Where are you going Helga?

We are going to the movies, and you?

Getting back to the Europeans... when did you start to learn English?

or share any other experience about learning a second language.

Best to respond in English however .. die  Gestapo Forum beobachten

Wuf!

#2 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

Wir gehen ins Kino, Und einen?

This means "We are going to the cinema, and a? :D Correct it would mean "Wir gehen ins Kino, und du/ ihr?

I've been learning English since I was 8 or 9, but our school system is terrible and I didn't learn so much. That's why my english is still not the best, but I try to learn more in the internet. I understand nearly everything when I read a text, but writing is still difficult.

I also had 4 years in French (the alternative was Latin, but I think it's pretty useless for me), but I just remember a few words, like "un chien" or "une chat." :D

#3 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Wohin gehst du jetzt Helga?

Wir gehen ins Kino,

Yes that's really funny. Me too just remember a few lines of my 2nd (3rd, 4th) language:

Hortus

Marcus et Cornelia in horto ambulant.

Subito Cornelia serpento regardet. 'Marce, Marce!!!'

(could be serpentem and more failures, lol)

Quite an exciting story so far, really :wacko: :D

Lo

#4 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

Le chat et sur la mur.......
Papa fume une pipe....

The cat is on the wall and dad smokes a pipe. Thats what I remember about 3 years french.
I had 5 years English, but I was happy I passed my exams. But I think that you already understood that.....
And it is a long time ago....

I also had zwei jahren Deutsch. Brrrrrrr........

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#5 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

The first 2 sentences from my first english lessons were:
My tailor is rich
Your flowers are beautiful

...very useful to start a language with those sentences right? ... now my son has just started english as 4th language at the age of 13. And they start with most common basic principles such as asking and answering questions such as
where are you from
what is your name
what language do you speak
How old are you
and so on...
this shows are clear and intelligent evolution in the language teaching programs. One shall focus on what is useful and directly applicable rather than the standard "my tailor is rich and your flowers are beautiful". This avoides also that people learn something for 3 -4 years and then cannot even use what they learned...

Now Switzerland is a small country in the middle of Europe but we do not belong to EU ... but we still have 4 official languages. At school you start with german as 2nd language in the french speaking part and with french as 2nd language in the german speaking part of Switzerland with the age of 8. Then you start english as 3rd language at the age of 12. Latin is an option. In the italian speaking part of Switzerland (which is a minority region languagewise and where i live) children have to learn french as 2nd language at the age of 8, german as 3rd at the age of 12 and english as 4th at the age of 13, latin an option.
The 4th official swiss language (rumantsch) is not obligatory except for the 50000 people living in that region.

To answer the question of sgt blkdog, we as swiss get often surprised, when travelling in USA, to see that most american people can live all their life using a "no richer than 500 words english" with top 10 mostly used words beeing: food, drink, sleep, business, make, money, job, love, friends and fun
...but i immediately confirm also that on stratego.com most americans are "above the average" ... specially Gary...smile...
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Mon Ami, c'était très intérressant d'apprendre un peu de votre pays. Et merci pour de me faire un compliment, mais en français je connais seulement cinq cent mots probablement. C'est un bon raîson pour moi et vous de parler en anglais!

Quatre langues pour votre fils qui a treize ans? C'est amazement. Mais, ici, vous comprenez que nous avons un beaucoup des langues. Tous le monde a besoin de comprendre les autres et devons parler en anglais. Ici.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#7 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Mon Ami, c'était très intérressant d'apprendre un peu de votre pays. Et merci pour de me faire un compliment, mais en français je connais seulement cinq cent mots probablement. C'est un bon raîson pour moi et vous de parler en anglais!

Quatre langues pour votre fils qui a treize ans? C'est amazement. Mais, ici, vous comprenez que nous avons un beaucoup des langues. Tous le monde a besoin de comprendre les autres et devons parler en anglais. Ici.

Yo Gary,

Mon rap est anglais, ma langu'est parfait

et je vois que tu aussi parles français.

C'est agréable de t'exprimer avec d'autre chose

donc maintenant : vive la France et sa langu'est la nôtre yo! 

Mais aussi la vôtre bro,.....

Yo, and I rhyme this stuff with a ferocious flow, you know it's dope

but French people will never be my homies, no!  :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#8 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

I've taken Spanish since I was 6.

3 - 0

#9 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

Yo Gary,

Yo, and I rhyme this stuff with a ferocious flow, you know it's dope
but French people will never be my homies, no! :)

Pretty good rhymes, trickz, I'll give you that. :) But I'll leave it to Napoleon to decipher the meaning. It gives me a headache. No, wait a minute. Is that the French or the rap poetry? :)

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

I've taken Spanish since I was 6.

You now have a Swiss flag. Did you tell me previously that you do not speak any of the native Swiss languages?

#11 papillon

papillon

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

voulez-vous croquer avec moi ce soir? (prenez ne pas l'appât!)

#12 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

You now have a Swiss flag. Did you tell me previously that you do not speak any of the native Swiss languages?

My mother's family is Swiss and I hold swiss citizenship however I have lived in the US my whole life. I am fluent in English and have learned Spanish in school. Ich studiere jetzt Deutsch.

3 - 0

#13 gyrados

gyrados

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

In England, a second language is taken at secondary school (11-16 years old) and from there you have the option of taking it further. I choose to study French until I was 16, I'm not the most fluent but can hold a decent conversation in it!

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

Pretty good rhymes, trickz, I'll give you that. :) But I'll leave it to Napoleon to decipher the meaning. It gives me a headache. No, wait a minute. Is that the French or the rap poetry? :)

Trickz is just praising the great times of Napoleon's nation ... France ... right Trickz? :P

...but i don't understand what "homies" means ... probably he wanted to write "momies" ... just kidding...

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#15 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

...but i don't understand what "homies" means ...

This is an American slang term meaning, more or less, friends who are connected somehow. A homie lives in the same locality or belongs to the same gang.

#16 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

je connais seulement cinq cent mots

You forgot about 1, Gary. Dousaine ;)

As for your text, it looks flawless, just the intérressant may have 1 r less but even not sure about that in French. It is in Dutch though.

Lo

#17 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

You forgot about 1, Gary. Dousaine ;)

As for your text, it looks flawless, just the intérressant may have 1 r less but even not sure about that in French. It is in Dutch though.

confirm that "intéressant" is with 1 r only ... on the other side "douzaine" is with z

#18 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

And to think I was worried about which way the accent mark was heading there! I suspect you're being kind if you do not dissect me harder than that. Like, for example, this: note, Daniel, that that was not "beeing". No one's going around stinging people here. (Just kidding! There's no such word, even for those honey-making insects. Humans, animals, things, and even bees all have a state of "being".)

#19 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

honey-making insects. Humans, animals, things, and even bees all have a state of "being".)

I know because I'm a beekeeper, lol. Never thought that topic would come up here but now it has ;). Anyhow, it's off topic <_<

Subito Cornelia serpento regardet. 'Marce, Marce!!!'

Any snakekeepers around :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Lo

#20 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

Trickz is just praising the great times of Napoleon's nation ... France ... right Trickz? :P

...but i don't understand what "homies" means ... probably he wanted to write "momies" ... just kidding...

Yo Napoleon,

I know he's your idol and like you, he's a father dude

plus you have something else in common too

since you both lose battles,...you on the board and he lost his in Waterloo!  :D

And yes, it's true, Belgium has got a lot of French influence but I'm not bothered, clue?

Well, it's simple,....cuz' I'm Dutch, No French influence hit me when I started youth!  ;)

Yes, my bars are smooth and I show this art to proof

that the French can kiss my butt and in this game they play a war of noobs!  :D

The French are not my homies so I don't like them, they're by far too rude

plus the most chauvinistic people on this planet

but since you're Swiss, I guess that's apart from you  ;)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users