Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

After playing on this site for a few months now, I have been used to playing Marshall is 10 and Scout is 2.  Now the sudden change to Marshall is 1 and scout is 9?  Not sure what country plays what number to what piece, but let's have it be a choice to what numbering system we want.  I still easily won my first game, but it was a bit of a distraction to me to see the new numbers. 

#2 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

This is changed in the options menu.  You can choose between American or Euro.

HmmNess

Posted Image

#3 Catu

Catu

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm in America.  This just confused me too.  I've played a lot of stratego when I was in day care.  Scouts were 2 and Marshal was 10 at that time.  Just recently I played on a board we found in a rented cabin.  It's been over 20 years since day care.  The Scouts were 2 and the Marshal was 10 again... 

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

The game was created in Europe.  That being said, their rules had the Marsh at 10 and scout at 2.  I don't know why the rules were changed in the good ol US of A to make them backwards. 

HmmNess

Posted Image

#5 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yes I noticed that a few games later in the option menu.  Even though I'm from the USA, I prefer the European numbering since I got used to it playing here. 

#6 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

The game was created in Europe.  That being said, their rules had the Marsh at 10 and scout at 2.  I don't know why the rules were changed in the good ol US of A to make them backwards. 

HmmNess

Milton-Bradley was playing up to the 'America is First' (numbah won) in support of the US's burgeoning fiasco in Vietnam.

wc 2010x2.jpg

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

[Copied from another thread]

Myself being a child of the 60's I grew up with the Marshall being #1 and thought it was the only way until I saw a newer version in the 1990's.  I don't know who thought of the change, as apparently the "European" version as I see it called, was the original.  I wonder if someone thought at the time that it might allow for future piece expansion?  I mean, you could create a #10 and #11 piece that were successively weaker than the Scout.  But if the Scout is a #2 already and the Flag is #1, then you can't expand...unless you go into a zero or negative numbers.  Maybe?

For whatever reason, I have always viewed the Marshall as Numero Uno and could never change.  It would be akin to asking me to drive in England.  Some mighty flaky things might happen!

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#8 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

[Copied from another thread]

Myself being a child of the 60's I grew up with the Marshall being #1 and thought it was the only way until I saw a newer version in the 1990's.  I don't know who thought of the change, as apparently the "European" version as I see it called, was the original.  I wonder if someone thought at the time that it might allow for future piece expansion?  I mean, you could create a #10 and #11 piece that were successively weaker than the Scout.  But if the Scout is a #2 already and the Flag is #1, then you can't expand...unless you go into a zero or negative numbers.  Maybe?

For whatever reason, I have always viewed the Marshall as Numero Uno and could never change.  It would be akin to asking me to drive in England.  Some mighty flaky things might happen!

It's okay, yank, I forgive you.... :wub:

wc 2010x2.jpg

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Gary even though the Spy does not have a number, I always consider that #1 with the European system or #10 with American.  The flag and the bomb are unmovable pieces so they just don't have any number.  I remember playing Stratego when I was little but, can't remember what number was what back then.  I played this game on OnlineStratego before I came here and they had no number system either, other than to show Marshall takes all and Spy takes Marshall.  Coming to this site seeing a more detailed graphics and pictures of the army pieces, I had to for the first time look at the numbers so I wouldn't get confused on what piece was what.  I'll just stick with the European system, since seeing the Marshall as a 1 now is odd to me. 

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Midnightguy, I see that in the L'Attaque version, the Flag is #1 in the photograph on google, so it was definitely numbered in that most original version.  But I see on Wikipedia that in the European version currently, the Spy is given the #1.

Yes, we all have been trained a certain way with the numbering.  I suppose, in truth, I could make the adjustment to the European system, and might have to down the road sometime in tournaments (when I am better!).  Right now, giving the option for each to view the numbers how one wants to on the website is one of the most comprehensive answers to all the issues I see brought up.  

It would be nice to know the exact reasoning for the 10/1 - 1/10 switch, I think.  

In American military terms a 1 star general was outranked a 2 star general, who was inferior to a 3 star, etc.  So why the thought that a smaller number was "American"...I don't quite get it.

Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#11 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

In yet another urban legend, (as I said before) Milton-Bradley was playing up to the 'America is First' (numbah won) in support of the US's burgeoning fiasco in Vietnam.

i.e. First Place, First Lady, First World, &tc.

wc 2010x2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users