abcib9

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

I was involved in a game in which both players had only one moveable piece remaining. For one player this was a 10 (moat powerful), for another it was a 7. No other pieces on the board could be moved. Both players were aware of this. Neither players wanted to give any ground, and so the game never ended. However, the flag of the player with the 7 was protected by traps, while the flag of the player with the 10 piece was exposed. Is this a stalemate, or is there a victor here?

#2 Trogon

Trogon

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

It seems to be a stalemate, unless the 7 can somehow reach the flag. If the 10 was near the flag the rest of the game, it would have been stalemate. How did the game end?

If you ever happen to play me, prepare for a good game. -Trogon

#3 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wrong forum, this is supposed to be in the Multiplayer-forum :)

Posted Image

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

I was involved in a game in which both players had only one moveable piece remaining. For one player this was a 10 (moat powerful), for another it was a 7. No other pieces on the board could be moved. Both players were aware of this. Neither players wanted to give any ground, and so the game never ended. However, the flag of the player with the 7 was protected by traps, while the flag of the player with the 10 piece was exposed. Is this a stalemate, or is there a victor here?

abcib9, often these types of games happen online.  If you were in such a game, it should have been a draw, and your opponent should have accepted it as such when you offered the tie.  Failure of him to do so is punishable on the site as being unsportsmanlike.  The topic to bring a case against another player and wherein to post screenshots is here:  http://forum.strateg...-refusal-topic/

The general site and forum rules that tell you what you should have to make a strong case can be found here:  http://forum.strateg...nd-forum-rules/

Of course, both players can play the game as long as they want if neither objects.  But it is incumbent upon every player to not refuse a clear draw if a tie is offered by the opponent.  Generally, at least two tie requests need to be offered and denied (post screens of all of these things), but other things can be compelling as well, such as screenshots of chat box conversation during the game or forum posts by the players.

Gary

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 bmende

bmende

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

Based on my experiences I believe that this is a tie if 1 of the 3 conditions are true (assuming the flag is known to the 7, and both players only have 1 piece)

1) the 10 is vertically symmetrical with the 7, and the symmetry can't be undone (due to an inconvenient bomb location)

2) the 10 has the "second move"

3) the 7 makes no progress in the game for 10 minutes

If 1) is false, then I suppose it's a flip of the coin whether or not 2) is false.

The "second move" is a bit hard to explain. But just imagine the 7 and 10 diagonal at closest distance of each other. If it is now the 7's turn, the 7 has no choice but to retreat and back up behind the lakes again. However, If it is the 10's turn, the 10 can threaten the 7 a few times by moving horizontally, but eventually, due to anti-chase reasons, the 10 must move forwards allowing the 7 to cross him and to enter his territory. Once the 7 is in the 10's territory, it is my understanding that the 7 will be able to go anywhere in his territory once the 10 has exhausted his chasing due to anti-chase rules.

Of course, even if 1) and 2) are false, this could still be a draw if the 7 does nothing for more than 10 minutes.

I didn't explore the chances of the 10 winning, since it can only happen if the 7 mistakenly gets trapped in an area without the lakes or a bomb to shuffle around, and if the 10 has the "second move." This normally wouldn't happen with experienced opponents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users