jordanfan20

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

In most games the ranking system is designed to match players up against equally, or at least near equal, skill level.

The problem with the current system is that Stratego games take a while and I am more often than not paired against a player who is far too easy. Which means that I have to spend 15-30 minutes playing someone I don't really want to play. Additionally, even if I win I receive practically no Xp, while if I happen to lose I lose a lot of Xp.

I think it would benefit everyone if the system first searches for people of equal Xp level and then if it can't find a player for you to play begins searching the lower Xp levels.

Also consider adding a script that prevents pairings from being repeated. It's frustrating to play the same player right afterward that you just played for 30 minutes.

Thanks guys

#2 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

There are a lot of topics about this. I don't know exactly how I feel about it.
I think, perhaps, the experience would be better if it had the option of allowing players to pick a range of player they want to play. ie 250-999. At the same time, I like having to test my ability against very weak players.
The last two games I played against very weak players who charged in early with marshals and generals attacking unmoved pieces.
In the first I went down a colonel and a general and in the second I was down a major and some other pieces just due to blind luck on the part of my opponents.

I ended up winning both games, however. And both games awarded me three points each. Still fun. :)

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I don't like this idea at all.
You have to be able to play ANYONE for ranking points.
It doesn't matter what his or her rank is, that's irrelevant.
But if you are able to play anyone for ranking points, you also must be able to refuse anyone for ranking points without losing..........ranking points :)
Therefore I think the draw system should remain but slightly adjusted.........

1) You can refuse a proposed match from the draw system without losing points
2) The script is a good idea : you can't play the same opponent after you played him

Like this, everybody is happy.
Serious players won't have to face known cheaters anymore and low-ranked players don't have to play high-ranked players.
High-ranked players don't have to waste their time on low-ranked players and like this, the circle is round :)

Implement it like this, get rid of the bugs and glitches and this site would be waaaaaaaaaay beyond awesome :)
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well as I suggested in another post about match pairings, if you don't want to face same person again right way; Don't click on search for match button right away. Odds are they are going to do the same and BAM!! The two of you are facing each other again. Usually I'll spend time here or something on my computer before I play another match.

However, I do understand some players frustration in playing too many weak players. I'm still only a General to Colonel rating because I'll win a handful of good games and then suddenly I lose to a low rated player because of bad luck and then all my points I gained is lost. It would be nice to face players near your rating and perhaps once they fixed other things on this site, they can implement that.

#5 Guest_NDJ_*

Guest_NDJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

But if you are able to play anyone for ranking points, you also must be able to refuse anyone for ranking points without losing..........ranking points :)

2) The script is a good idea : you can't play the same opponent after you played him

Serious players won't have to face known cheaters anymore and low-ranked players don't have to play high-ranked players.
High-ranked players don't have to waste their time on low-ranked players and like this, the circle is round :)

Implement it like this, get rid of the bugs and glitches and this site would be waaaaaaaaaay beyond awesome :)

I agree with both proposed items by trickz. Although the randomness sure is a very strong aspect of the ranking system, the user has to be given some freedom to explicit his/her preferences. Furthermore, because some players are bound to their signature-setup, these people are often at a disadvantage in rematches (although that's open for discussion wether that would be a good or bad thing). Personally, I don't care, but would prefer the preference setting to be enabled anyway.

#6 jordanfan20

jordanfan20

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

I like this idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users