Riddler

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Just now I had to play a game vs a general. I'm only a sergeant. To me it seems that it's almost impossible to win a game against a player with such a high rank.

I think there should be a system that lets you play against players of almost the same level as you are, like a sergeant vs a miner or a luitenant, but not a sergeant vs a general or a major.

That way it would be more fun for everyone to play against someone their own level. Now i think that it disccourages new comers when they lose a few times vs a high ranked piece.

What are your thoughts about this?

#2 Jens14

Jens14

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I like it this way, sometimes I get an easy opponnent and sometimes a hard one. It looks like it's completly random.

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I think every player should be able to play every player.
Doesn't matter what his or her rank is.
Unfortunately most of the time the system will match you up with opponents who have your ranking.
This is not always the case but it happens very often.
And since the number 250 of the ranking ladder is already a bronze major, you have to learn with the idea that the competition will get heavier and heavier.

It would be great if you can refuse an opponent at any times without losing points.
So if you're matched up to a silver miner for instance,...you and he have the option to refuse the battle.

My point is,....you should be able to battle anyone for ranking points.
Even if you are a silver guy and you want to battle a bronze spy for one lousy single point,.....you should be able to do that.

The random selection is fine with me, no problem but I do have a problem when there are more than hundred people available to play and yet you have to play the same opponent three or four times in a row.
That's just annoying. Especially when this guy is really good and you have trouble to beat him.
It'll cost you 4 losses in a row then,....and that's just stupid.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

I prefer playing higher ranked players. It gives me a chance even if I lose the game to take some notes in how to improve my game. If you lose to a high ranker, the loss to your rating is minimal. If you face lower ranking players, you run the risk of them getting lucky with lotto play moving their Colonel or higher into your zone and taking out half of your army because they have no concept of bluff or fear.

I agree Trickz, it seems like I keep getting some of the same players, but I minimize this by not clicking find match button until a few minutes.

#5 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

I like the randomness of the system and I think it's important to play against players of all levels. I don't like the idea of being allowed to refuse matches unless it is against a known cheater/chaser/staller. The best way around this is to have a 'block' option, where you can add cheaters to a 'block list' that will prevent them from being assigned to your game.

I think the computer should assign your opponent based on your recent results. If you lost your last game, you should be paired against someone of equal or lesser ranking. If you won your last game, you should be paired against someone of equal or greater ranking.

#6 chefwd76

chefwd76

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

I like the randomness of the system. When I play a higher ranked player I try to raise to the occasion. I find that playing a higher ranked player often gives me an education and while I may lose the game I come away a better player having learned a few things to elevate my game. It is frustrating though to get the same player over and over.

Let anybody that believe's something is impossible be interrupted by somebody else completing the task, for it is only impossible for those who cannot.

#7 Guest_NDJ_*

Guest_NDJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I agree with both proposed items by trickz in another thread:
  • Enabling match refusal [OR] entering ELO-rating range restrictions (with a certain minimum range size)
  • Preventing playing the same player multiple times in a row (except when challenged for a rematch by a button on the result-screen).
Although the randomness sure is a very strong aspect of the ranking system, the user has to be given some freedom to explicit his/her preferences. Furthermore, because some players are bound to their signature-setup, these people are often at a disadvantage in rematches (although that's open for discussion wether that would be a good or bad thing). Personally, I don't care, but would prefer the preference setting to be enabled anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users