• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:25 AM

please allow players to be nameless

tired of cheaters who just memorize people's layouts and beat everybody

I agree.  I think the best solution is to not reveal player's names and total win/loss record until the end of the game. Playing anonymously would end that cheating.  Before the start of the game, you could reveal both player's win/loss record for their last 30 games to give an idea of the type of opponent you are playing.

Otherwise, the best solution is to always vary your setups, especially if you're playing lots of games in a row at one sitting.

• Mitthunder likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#3 Mitthunder

Mitthunder

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:59 PM

I agree.  I think the best solution is to not reveal player's names and total win/loss record until the end of the game. Playing anonymously would end that cheating.  Before the start of the game, you could reveal both player's win/loss record for their last 30 games to give an idea of the type of opponent you are playing.

Otherwise, the best solution is to always vary your setups, especially if you're playing lots of games in a row at one sitting.

Very good idea, I like it. Being able to play with many different setups is difficult for me, I go for small changes like different bomb and flag positions.

#4 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 613 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:25 PM

A good idea in some ways but there are a few problems. For example Sohal is very good at figuring out ones game style and tactics, but the first time I played him he had no knowledge of how I played, I had more chance of winning my first game against him than most others. Once he had figured out my game, he was almost impossible to beat. That is part of the skill of a player in stratego. Look at the WC tourney results and recaps on metaforum where lightwing won. He used a lot of previous knowledge of opponent's for his setup and play.

To finish, I think that having players anonymous would take away the cheating aspect of studying setups, but it would also take away one of the skills that makes the great players, online and live, who they are at the game.

Losermaker

• Sohal and The Prof like this

#5 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,901 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

A bit off-topic, but anyway:

Unfortunately the meta forum seems to be down, I did save the recaps of 2010 and 2012 in a .txt file; I might publish them somewhere at some point, but it requires a lot of tweaking due to layout.

http://i.imgur.com/fajNS95.png format isn't easily readable, and changing the layout markup to different forum software or even something like html is quite a pain.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#6 sevenseas

sevenseas

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

A bit off-topic, but anyway:

Unfortunately the meta forum seems to be down, I did save the recaps of 2010 and 2012 in a .txt file; I might publish them somewhere at some point, but it requires a lot of tweaking due to layout.

http://i.imgur.com/fajNS95.png format isn't easily readable, and changing the layout markup to different forum software or even something like html is quite a pain.

Some of meta can be still accessed through the WaybackMachine.

I play as Sevenseas & Don't Cry

#7 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 613 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users