Photo

Looking Forward to an Improved Singleplayer Game!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

#21 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Solitare is the single player game.

There is no such thing as single player stratego.  Two sides means two opponents.

They should scrap the single player game and focus all efforts on Multiplayer.

The question I would have is not what Single Player means, because that seems quite simple.  But Stratego is a game of two players/two sides/two opponents as Scott has pointed out. Why do they then call it "Multi Player".  There's only two.  It should be better called the "Two Player" game, I think.  I've never played a game of Stratego with more than one opponent.  

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#22 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

Gary, I have played games against more then one opponent. So now and then I am playing against my opponent but also playing against myself ;-).
And: two player game, what do you say, doesn't it sound like s..t?
Maybe a better name would be 'live game'

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#23 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Gary, I have played games against more then one opponent. So now and then I am playing against my opponent but also playing against myself ;-).
Lucky

Lucky, this is news to me. I didn't know it was possible to be playing two people at once in Stratego. Here or anywhere else. How does a second opponent join? Once you click on Ranked Game, there is never an option to add to play or even watch. I think I am not understanding you.

Unless you are pulling my leg...?

"Multiplayer" implies more than two are playing the game at the same time. You can't call it a multiplayer game if one side has "me, myself, and I" playing "him, himself, and he". Is that what you're saying? Okay, I get that. :).

It should be called a Two Player game if only two can play. I think that name sounds fine, myself, btw.

Gary
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#24 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Gary, I am 'pulling you a leg'.  :)

What I mean is this: When you play a horrible game, in Dutch we say that you are not only playing against your real opponent, but also struggling with yourself, so you have 2 opponents to play. Snappie?  ^_^ (= do you understand?)

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#25 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:17 AM

So the Multiplayer moniker is just to comfort the mentally conflicted, Lucky? :)

Still should be called the Two Player game, imho. lol.

Gary

#26 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Why is everyone signing his/her posts?

- Mick

• maxroelofs likes this
Posted Image

#27 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

Speaking of useless posts.....

Politeness is the secret  :)

Lucky 

ForSerg first class  :lol:

#28 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

Mick, the amount of things to go into the Singleplayer game like bluffing and opponent-learning are daunting tasks to my way of thinking.  Those things I'll leave to the programmers.  I would hope they at least enact the movement rules here so as to match the current ISF rules, or better yet The Prof's and my recent suggestions for changes in that arena.  These movement rules are what need to be a part of the "multiplayer" game when your attention is turned to that.  We need them right in the Singleplayer game first.

If the programmers are good players of the game, this will help tremendously, but David (The Prof) is the smartest guy around on this movement stuff and I would urge the programmers contact him to ensure they get the movement rules programmed correctly into the Singleplayer game, and hopefully perfect the first time.  

• Lonello likes this

#29 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

Do not worry Gary! We've ensured that everyone on the Stratego-team is now an excellent Stratego-player and knows the game inside out.

The game will be designed to cater to a wider audience, meaning that it will be much easier to learn.

This being said, we have kept the original feel intact. Players can still make and save their own setup and the game still follows the 40x40 rules. We have added some more things though ;)

There will be a lot more to do and the game will get a fresh new look with great content you all requested over the years.

In the end, the tech used in the Singleplayer, can be used in the future ;)

Posted Image

#30 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

Great Mick. But something Gary said is very specific: the movement rules. Only a few people in the world know them throughout. We are lucky we have 2 of them here in the community.

These movement rules need to be implemented correctly in the Singleplayer game. I can already see the AI chasing forever if you do not do that, or the human player can abuse the game when behind.

"Smart" people then can never loose. The AI won't mind ofcourse but it won't be honest for the rankings etc.

I would say test the movement rules out in the Singleplayer game, there's a large document at your disposal. Free labor on volunteer's part. The programmers best take a look to see if they missed something?!

Lo

#31 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I can assure you, more than 2 people in the world know them ;)

And as I've said before, we fixed the chase-problem by making the AI more human.

A human player would eventually decide on a different tactic or use the chasing to his/her advantage. In our MANY tests, we haven't encountered the chase-problem.

And because we have 3 different difficulties, the player can decide how skilled the AI is. Smart people CAN still lose if they want a challenge!

Our developers haven't missed anything ;)

Posted Image

#32 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

Mick, is there an ETA on the new single player game?

#33 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

more than 2 people in the world know them ;)

And as I've said before, we fixed the chase-problem by making the AI more human.

A human player would eventually decide on a different tactic or use the chasing to his/her advantage

Well, I said a few people in the world know them. And we are lucky we have 2 of them here in the community. So my tip is simply accept their offer, they do not charge a dime :ph34r: :huh:

And maybe indeed the AI won't chase endlessly... great! But still my point is the human player may take advantage then. He will, when behind, play the chase and use it to his advantage to get the draw. As more people know this, this will happen to the AI more and more often which makes the ranks look a bit futile in time.

Lo

#34 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Mick, is there an ETA on the new single player game?

There is, but we have decided to keep that a secret for now ;)

Well, I said a few people in the world know them. And we are lucky we have 2 of them here in the community. So my tip is simply accept their offer, they do not charge a dime :ph34r: :huh:

And maybe indeed the AI won't chase endlessly... great! But still my point is the human player may take advantage then. He will, when behind, play the chase and use it to his advantage to get the draw. As more people know this, this will happen to the AI more and more often which makes the ranks look a bit futile in time.

Noted, but as I said a few times before; we know what we're dealing with. We're taking this VERY serious and every bit of the game is well thought out and works perfectly.

I appreciate the offer, but as of now, there is nothing those people can tell us that we don't already know!

The example you proposed is not possible as of now, in the new game. That is, if you set the AI to an appropriate level. A skilled player can obviously win from an easy AI...

If players want to win a lot of battles by playing on easy, then they may do so. In their statistics and achievements, it will be shown that this player only plays on easy.

So don't worry, we got it all under control!

Posted Image

#35 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

The example you proposed is not possible as of now, in the new game

Hmmm, so how will it work if a skilled player, behind behind against the level 3 AI (hardest level), begins a continuous chase and then requests a draw? Will the AI ever accept a draw? Ofcourse the AI has all night so may simply engage in endless chase, started by the human. So how will the AI handle draw requests?

Lo

#36 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hmmm, so how will it work if a skilled player, behind behind against the level 3 AI (hardest level), begins a continuous chase and then requests a draw? Will the AI ever accept a draw? Ofcourse the AI has all night so may simply engage in endless chase, started by the human. So how will the AI handle draw requests?

The player and the AI will be able to offer draws yes, but if you really want to chase a unit, the rule prevents the AI from endlessly running away. We are devising a system that will check if a draw is a viable option. The AI will then check to see if accepting is a good thing for it.

Posted Image

#37 Lonello

Lonello

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

the rule prevents the AI from endlessly running away.

Thanks for the tip ;). I think people will start chasing now as the AI eventually will stop defending the piece :P

Lo

#38 MickM

MickM

sr. Game Artist

• Administrators
  • 337 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Depending on the difficulty, the AI will know you're gonna use that tactic.

If you're playing against an equally-matched AI, chasing does not work and the AI will either stop defending it, or fight on a different front line.

Posted Image

#39 lacoste

lacoste

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

What is  AL en ETA ?

#40 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

What is AL en ETA ?

Lacoste, it's 'AI' not 'AL' and it stands for Artificial Intelligence. ETA had been around for decades. It means Estimated Time of Arrival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users