Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi Testers,

We are trying to get you a copy of the game to test this weekend!

In this release the following will be there:

Stratego iPad 2.5 (expected to be approved by Apple around 19-02-2013)*

This release includes the following:
  • Bug that is caused by leaving the Player Versus screen (error 1009) => fixed
  • Play without account (singleplayer only)
  • New login / create account screen making it more clear that Facebook is not required
  • Added a video tutorial to the "Settings" screen
  • Bug that was caused by buying items in the Player Versus screen (client crashed or showed flickering screen) => fixed
  • US piece numbering as a setting
  • AI is tuned a bit

#2 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Anyone took it for a spin already?

btw the forum update can have some funky behaviour, if you encounter problems, clear your browser cache.

#3 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Yep. I have a fair share of thoughts to leave.

#4 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I guess here's where I leave it :)

Sorry, some of the wording here is a bit off, it's late. But here be my thoughts. The biggest thing, this game NEEDS to have a manual easily accessible.

Using an iPad 4, iOS 6.1

- change "turn music off" to a speaker icon with a slash for off
- sign in using stratego account does not have "next" button, and the return button says "done", rather than next.
- Facebook error message when trying to log in.
- too easy to click out of store, add a button to close it
- general chat disappears when trying to hide it. Clicking the X removes it for good.
- when clicking on the profile/play/store buttons, touching them turns the highlight on and off, even when not changing
- touching the battlefields will pull the focus strangely
- there is a strange mouse cursor leftover
- there is no in game manual explaining the game at all. If anyone wasn't incredibly versed in the game, they'd be completely lost.

#5 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

@andsoitgoes some comments from me, thanks for giving this feedback!

"change "turn music off" to a speaker icon with a slash for off"

You don't like the ON/OFF slider?

"sign in using stratego account does not have "next" button, and the return button says "done", rather than next. "

Can you give a screenshot for this? For me the button says "Login" for login and "all done!" for register

"Facebook error message when trying to log in."

Can you give the error message and/or a screenshot?

"too easy to click out of store, add a button to close it"

The interaction design guidelines for Apple encourage the click outside of the box to close behaviour. We are actually working on removing all the "X" buttons wherever possible.

"general chat disappears when trying to hide it. Clicking the X removes it for good."

Hiding is done by clicking the "_" next to the "X" or tapping the chat on the bottom bar. I agree the "_" and the "X" are not so nice so we are trying to make it work more like iOs closing applications

"when clicking on the profile/play/store buttons, touching them turns the highlight on and off, even when not changing"

Yes, this is unwanted behaviour

"touching the battlefields will pull the focus strangely"

Can you elaborate on this?

"there is a strange mouse cursor leftover"

Yes, this is unwanted behaviour

"there is no in game manual explaining the game at all. If anyone wasn't incredibly versed in the game, they'd be completely lost"

When you sign up there is a video tutorial in the welcome screen, als available under settings. We are working on adding a nice Help text popup explaining the rules

#6 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I`m also very curious if anyone encounters any error messages or App crashes, this should not happen.. The biggest one found is by @andsoitgoes that FB login for new accounts does not work.

#7 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

btw found what the FB error is, we are running behind updating the Production servers for Facebook login. On our development environment this works, so it will be there when the app will be published. Sorry for the inconvenience..

#8 ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

1.    The error, or thing that went wrong

No error so far.  I wanted to comment, that as one who has never played the game, while the link to the video was helpful, a built-in tutorial would've been better, especially if someone doesn't have access to wi-fi.  

The game runs smoothly.  The animation sequences (crossed swords and cloud of smoke) are nice graphical touches and good eye-candy.

2.    Your iPad version (iPad1, iPad2, iPad3, iPad mini)

iPad 2

3.    Your iOs version

iOS 6.1

4.    The way you log in: Facebook / Stratego account

I logged in through my Stratego account.  I'm uncomfortable logging into my FB account as I don't want to force feed this info to my friends

5.    What you did when you got the error example: "I played a Quick arena match and I clicked 'back' at the Player Versus screen"

initial load times seemed to take a little long.  it'd be great it this could be cut shorter.

I'll provide more feedback when I've had more time to test it over the weekend.

#9 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

@ColeDaddy thanks so far! Have a nice weekend everyone! Lets plays some games ;-)

#10 KevinCee15

KevinCee15

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I have had no problems so far - quite impressed with what I have experienced

The computer AI is surprisingly tougher than anticipated

The offline / single player mode works well

As does the US piece numbering

I will continue to play - and post any issues that are discovered

#11 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

@andsoitgoes some comments from me, thanks for giving this feedback!

You got it! I promised I would help and give all the feedback I could, I'll give much more, so hopefully you won't get too sick of me.

You don't like the ON/OFF slider?

It isn't a slider, it's a button with an X to check it on or off from the main menu

Can you give a screenshot for this? For me the button says "Login" for login and "all done!" for register

Well, when you are entering the details, there should be "previous/next" somewhere on the keyboard. Instead of "done" replacing the return button, it should say next, maybe. Does that make sense? That's for logging in too.

The interaction design guidelines for Apple encourage the click outside of the box to close behaviour. We are actually working on removing all the "X" buttons wherever possible.

Maybe then a harder and much thicker outline when those boxes open up, there's no real edge around it. It doesn't seem that it's a separate enough section, if that makes sense.

Hiding is done by clicking the "_" next to the "X" or tapping the chat on the bottom bar. I agree the "_" and the "X" are not so nice so we are trying to make it work more like iOs closing applications

The problem is that the X removes it and makes it not possible to get the chat window back at all. If there's a way to bring it back, it's not clear.

Can you elaborate on this?

* there's no way to scroll without the potential of clicking on a battlefield to "buy", there should be a way to scroll through the list without having to touch the pictures of the battlefields themselves, does that make sense? The scroll bar on the right should be prevalent and wide, if possible.

When you sign up there is a video tutorial in the welcome screen, als available under settings. We are working on adding a nice Help text popup explaining the rules

More than that, it needs to have an active and accessible rule book. I have previously never played Stratego, so I'm lost. With other board games, every board game that is, there is an immediate access to at least a full help manual. Watching a video is fine, but what happens if I forget what a specific piece does? Right now, I have to go and google for it. It needs to have a direct link from the settings menu or through a big question mark that brings up a fully detailed rule book.

I think because of that, I actually haven't really played a game =\

#12 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Also, please tell me adjusting the computer AI is coming very, very, very, very soon?

#13 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I am having issues with the files, taking screen caps on the iPad 4 pulls out at WAY over 500k, the process to get them to you is going to be a little difficult, unless you have some suggestions?

Anyway, I went back in today and got the main screen, showing my profile and such with the chat, the steps to play, etc.

Then about 15 seconds after seeing that, it dumped me back to the main "Welcome to the Battlefield" login screen. I clicked on the Facebook login button and then was brought back to where I should have been.

#14 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Just watched the video, not bad but lacking in a lot of the details on movement, timers, what each piece does, why it does what it does and so on.

Remember, there is a good chance you'll have the opportunity to pull in those of us who have always wanted to try the game out, or have never really given it a good go, but if we have to get all the details on our own, I think it will end up being a frustrating decision.

Explanation of basic strategies would be good, too.

It's like chess. Learning how the pieces move really doesn't do much of anything in regards to helping you actually play the game.

Or maybe it's like learning how to drive the car. Here you're telling people that the gas makes you go, the brake stop, the wheel turns the car and the gears change whether you go forward or backwards.

Does that make sense?

#15 JasonW

JasonW

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Played it a bit yesterday on ipad 3. No bugs noticed so far on single player but the AI seems tough and knows exactly where flag is right away every time. Not crazy about that but maybe it's me, doesn't feel right though. Will play more over the weekend and post more.

#16 KevinCee15

KevinCee15

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I agree with the others others regarding the computer AI - it does seem to find the flag a bit fast

Making it adjustable would be a big step forward - and broaden the appeal to younger players

As it currently works, my young daughter would be "one and done" since she has no chance of winning

Something else to consider for future enhancements - pass and play multiplayer (similar to other classic board games on ipad - monopoly, battleship, etc)

Otherwise no bugs so far - although the in game currency and IAP for different boards will probably cause negative reviews on various forums such as touch arcade

#17 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

@all good comments! Thanks! will go through them on Monday.

Some fast remarks, Facebook login does not work in this build sorry, I will let you know when it is possible.

Pass-and-play is definitely on the list! Just be a bit patient, will take some weeks.

Making a good AI is quite hard. Let me explain how we started. We started out buying on of the best AI`s for Stratego ( 1 time world champion in Stratego AI championchips). But these kind of AI`s is mega defensive and is basically build to beat other AI`s. No fun to play with! Unless you like repetitive moves all the time. Then we adjusted this AI and tested it, it was found to easy by our testers, and it was making dumb moves. Now we made an AI that gives you some competition but I agree with you it might be too good now. In the next iPad release we will have a better version! And hopefully we will have the difficulty levels in!

The ingame currency is something we keep on improving, every iPad player gets quite some Battlecoins to spend. But we will make a lot items cheaper in the near future.

About a help and tutorial, yes we need this. Currently we are thinking about a help with text and the first time you start the app a lot of buttons will have a text ballon explaining the use.

#18 andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

Having the difficulty levels is going to be great, it'll mean I can really give the gameplay a good detailed try. As it is right now, I don't know the game well enough to play against people and playing against the computer doesn't do any good for me, as there's no "teaching" by getting my butt handed to me every game. Even playing against a brainless AI would be better. You could always save the brainless version of the AI and make that into a "kid friendly" mode.

As for the instructions, I guess they really aren't that complicated...

http://files.boardga...o1980Rules.pdf?

But having them right there for quick access might not be a bad idea :)

#19 KevinCee15

KevinCee15

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

A concern regarding "playing without an account" and IAP

If I set up a stratego account (as we were asked to) and make purchases it is associated only with my stratego account
Later if I decide to play offline and log out of my account - I don't have access to those purchases

Is there a way to associate purchases with your iTunes account as opposed to stratego account?
By requiring purchases of gold, as opposed to specifics items this may not be possible

Similarly, if one is playing offline - are they able to buy maps and then retain them?

There are quite of few folks who often prefer to play single player - not logged into an account

Thanks

#20 dboekestein

dboekestein

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

A concern regarding "playing without an account" and IAP

If I set up a stratego account (as we were asked to) and make purchases it is associated only with my stratego account
Later if I decide to play offline and log out of my account - I don't have access to those purchases

The items are attached to your account, at this moment we dont want to make "without account' to attractable

Is there a way to associate purchases with your iTunes account as opposed to stratego account?
By requiring purchases of gold, as opposed to specifics items this may not be possible

We will add GameCenter which in some way uses your iTunes account

Similarly, if one is playing offline - are they able to buy maps and then retain them?

If offline is playing with an account but the case be that you don`t have Internet we might add this. If Offline in the case of playing 'without account' mode this is not our current plan.

There are quite of few folks who often prefer to play single player - not logged into an account

We want users to play with an account, there will be play without account, but this is limited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users