varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't know. To me that sounds like it should've been a draw. If he wasn't chasing and he wasn't doing anything illegal, but he had no chance of winning he would want the draw.
I haven't been playing enough to know what is or is not sportsmanlike to do in that situation.

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#42 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Not sure what the entire board situation was, but seemed like he was just angry that he didn't get the attack he wanted and you were able to cut him off.  If he still had some other lower pieces he could have did research on your situation and perhaps try another attack. Clearly not that good of a player, if he doesn't know how to use his other pieces in the game and is happy to draw so easily.

#43 Strong With Axe

Strong With Axe

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've had those lotto marshals a lot too, and it is very annoying! It are mostly players that don't care about their stats and because they can't win a mindgame they prefer to go berzerk on your pieces. Most of the time it works out fine if a marshal lotto attacks, because he will run into some bombs for sure, or ill have my spy or marshall near. They tend to use bombs on their front rows, so after detecting those your counter -attack is twice as hard! :) Anyway a lotto marshal doesn't get my respect, that's for sure !

#44 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Marshal, a strong piece is. Fight like bull piece smaller than. Fear piece no the spy allowed.

Tenacious. Defense, piece?

Designated Baby Age 2

gg

#45 napke

napke

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Actually, I've commited a lottory charge with my marshal a few times. I Always keep him unrevealed as lang as possible. and try to find out where his top-pieces are. And such play it like it is ment to be played.

But in some games, when I'm down some really important pieces, I just charge in and try to kill as many pieces as possible and use some scouts to look for the most common flag positions (corners, triangles,). I do this because sitting back would mean a certain loss as well. By charging in with my marschal I still have a (very) small chance of ending victorius.

But i say again: only when I feel like I don't have a chance any more in playing normal.

#46 napoleo

napoleo

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Recently met a player (I'm not gonna say who) who accused me of Lottery playing. 

He moved his Marshall all the way to my right flank where he could do no real harm (due to bomb placement and spy and own marshall nearby). Sow, I went on down his center with my general tapping al units he had moved previously. I got lucky because one of them was a colonel. at a moment he stopped me by committing suicide with his general. At the end of the game he started calling me all kind of names and accused me of lottery play.

It was funny because at the end he said, I Quote "You are a lottery playing noob, you will never get as high as me in statts".

When the game finished my statts rose up and passed his :D

#47 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

That is entirely what you're supposed to do when your opponent's marshal is revealed.

gg

#48 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Napoleo, that is just savvy playing on your part.   If he moves his pieces around and then moves his Marshall far away from your General, then you should take full advantage of attacking whatever that moves.  My feeling is your rating will continue to rise while his stays the same or falls further down.

#49 Like A Boss

Like A Boss

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I have just played a bronze captain that started attacking my left side with his marshall. He scouted my piece on the first row and immediately grabbed it with his marshall. Without fear of bombs or my spy, he started moving all the way to my right, just taking all the pieces on my front row. This is very frustrating and really not much you can do about it. I love stratego for its strategy and tactics, but some people just make it a lottery. Well, I was lucky he ran into one of my bombs with both his marshal and general (which he was lottery charging with after his marshal was killed). In the end, I was able to locate his flag but he resigned when he saw his plan failed.

I suggest these lotto players go play a game without any tactics involved, I think that would suit them.

#50 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

I've noticed something in these past few days.

As soon as I became a silver player, all the lower players I face just try to lottery charge me.
I played a guy just a second ago who was a bronze colonel and he just flew in with all his top pieces attacking unmoved pieces and he went up a general because my spy was not right next to it.

It is upsetting to lose 20 points because your opponent got very lucky.  That was the first time a lottery charge from a bad player payed off against me.

I guess the moral is to keep everything absolutely defended when playing poor players. If they can't beat you normally, they will lottery charge you.

gg

#51 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

They play indeed like that because they know that they would probably lose if the skills game into play.

And you can't blame them actually,....so better be prepared for those guys :)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#52 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,827 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

You guys are all good.  Here's a story from the other perspective.  

When I was set up, as a Bronze Captain at the time, I think, with Master Yoda, I knew I had to absolutely do the unconventional for me or I was simply going to lose.  No doubt about it.  M.Y. showed me a Major on the front line in the middle and so I went after it with my Marshall, guessing that the spy would have to be with the General and not a puny Major.  I took the chance, and got up a Major.  I believe it kind of rattled him.  

I also had another weapon in a couple of unconventional bomb placements.  He took the bait on one soon after losing the Major, and dove his General into it.   Shortly after this, his Colonel met up with another weirdly spotted bomb.  So I fairly early found myself up a General, Colonel, and Major.  I was shaking in my boots up against a Silver player, even after this, but I calmed myself down enough not to blow such a tremendous lead to win.  I owed it all to that super risky move with my Marshall.  

So yeah, I did it.  What's a weaker player to do?

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#53 Like A Boss

Like A Boss

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

I agree, you can't blame somebody to kill a known major with their marshall, i just don't like it when a marshal starts attacking unmoved pieces. Taking the risk of showing your marshal early will almost always be in your disadvantage. So i'dd say good job for taht victory against a silver player! But what you did isn't lottery charging i'dd say :)

#54 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I've lost four games in a row now to poor players who throw everything they have at me. They've completely flustered me and thrown me off my game.
I just feel like killing myself. :(

I somehow need to prevent these lotto guys from beating me.

gg

#55 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,827 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

D.B.,  You know, self-killing is against the ISF rules I think.... Ha.   The advice columnist in me says:  I think if you take a few days' break and allow time to strenghthen your attitude and fortify your mental toughness, you will in the interim contemplate the common thread running through all those losses and successfully figure out how to cut that thread.  You have to be flexible to win in this game at your level (even at mine) and I suspect there's something that you've been a little too rigid about that has got you losing to the same technique over and over.   This game is extremely demanding on one's mental reserves, in my opinion.  Sometimes the only answer is rest and thinking, pure and simple.  Avoid the game awhile.  Rejuvenate, contemplate, mix it up, and get back on the right track.  Good luck.

• Midnightguy and Designated Baby like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#56 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

It is very difficult to take a break from stratego. I am addicted. How can I go out and face the world without capturing a fellow's flag earlier in that day?

gg

#57 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,827 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

D.B.,  I hear "being addicted".  Me too.  But we have to force our time away.  Have to.  

I came to Stratego.com in February, having rarely played in the past fifteen years.  I had an old board game version that sat around because I could  never seem to find anyone to want to play.  (I think I probably did play one time in the past year.)  I did get a bit satiated when I got an android tablet this past Christmas and soon found a Stratego app in the app store.  I got all excited again.  But it was only playing against the computer there, and the computer was so very poor.  Ours here would beat it every time!  The board game play against any real opponent  was sorely missed.  Still, I played this poor Stratego app quite a bit over Christmas and into January.  It was like dirty water, but I was in the desert and it tasted fine.  

Then along comes a random google search for, duh!, "Stratego", and I finally find my heart's desire here at this site.  Wow.  It was like a thunderstorm on my parched land.  We have such a wonderful game here!  I love the site and all the people who love the game as much as I do.  

A good illustration of how long I've been playing this game is found in a video M.D. posted on the forum awhile back.  It's of an old Stratego commercial showing the thrill of victory for the one boy and the agony of defeat for the other.  I hate to date myself but I remember this commercial when it played for real.  I was those boys as a kid.  The link to it is below.  

The game version they are playing, BTW, is the early 1970's Milton Bradley version.  Inside it is copyrighted 1961, though, and it's the same one I have had forever.  If you look closely at the commercial, however, they mix up the old printed pieces of the late 1960's with the newer printed ones from the early 1970's.  It's very strange.  You'll see it if you compare the blue flag at the 20 second mark with the blue flag at the 24 second mark.  They are different.  I have both those sets, and the pieces changed a bit in this time period.  They were printed on plastic in both editions but the newer ones were a little "cleaner" and "crisper" of image.   Both, of course, featured the Marshall as #1. 

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Q6tsYmadTAU

Whew!  Exhale.  Breathe.  That was a fun diversion.  Yes, this game is addicting.  I've been playing it since the late 1960's.  Hey, it'll still be here after we take a break, though.  Remember, we have to force our time away.  Chain up your computer if you have to.  And don't bum anyone else's computer--that's cheating!

Good luck in your Stratego fast.  It will purify the game senses, I guarantee it.  Believe me, I understand the separation...darn job of mine's gonna make me go cold turkey 8 more hours tomorrow!    

i77rs4m.jpg

#58 Designated Baby

Designated Baby

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I have often tried to take a week or so off, but when it comes to those days I inevitably say to myself, Self, why shouldn't I play stratego? It doesn't hurt anyone. And I'll only play a game or two. And I do. Maybe three. ;)

On the topic of marshal attacks, I had a game against an absolutely fantastic one a week or so back.

I was playing a high level silver player. (Currently in the top 5 on the site) He had a marshal attack down my right flank, but without the risk. He basically just took some pieces that were unprotected and then stationed his marshal there.
Of course, usually it is a bad strategy to expose the marsh early in the game, but he had a very interesting setup. His whole left side was clogged with 4 vertical bombs in a row. I lost some captains and majors to that.

And also, usually, it is bad practice to have many bombs near each other on one side (because your opponent can more easily guess your setup or not fear attacking unmoved pieces)

So I used a miner to take out the bomb on his back rank. Then I explore with a major again down the back rank hoping to get big time material and take like 6 pieces in a row. Nope. Another bombs 2 squares over. So I knew the location of 5 of his bombs, but he also had a sergeant over there guarding the next bomb PLUS I used a major to discover that bomb had a bomb in a line with it too vertically.

So it turned out, there was hardly a way for me to get a miner over there unmolested. What I should have done is just marched my marshal down the middle back to the back ranked and gone for the flag, but I feared the spy. That was my only shot.

Instead I marched my general down and he exchanged and then he had his spy guarding the middle and his marsh the right and his left was still blocked.

And I was down big material.

Game over.

That was the first time I played a novelty setup that was so ingenious.

gg

#59 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I remember one person, he is not online but he is very strong when he attack with his marshall. I know he can moved his marshall as nobody can't. These person are really a master and the weakest off all players are, he know you know his marshall but he know most time where you marshall and spy are. than he attack another site what you has moved. I have tried his tacktick but I can't play as him and lose many times main marshall. I can better play my game and not what he did. I have him see many years not more but he was really a master off stratego.

#60 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Novices: Listen up.

The spy is not in the game to protect the general. The spy is in the game to take the marshall. The side of the board you put your spy on matters not, what matters is selling that it is where your opponent fears he hopes it is not. MG is right to sent crappy pieces out to find strength. I lost a game in which I was the first to take a colonel with a marshall because on the other flank his general was poised to hit 4 moved pieces. My major and my colonel could not escape and so the lesson is, EVEN COLONELS CAN BE JUNK PIECES TO SEEK OUT INFORMATION.

When a marshall is attacking expect to lose a mid level piece or 2. You need not always attack with general because many a game you just end up swapping generals and next piece gets replaced with colonel over spy.

Have you considered the long range of the game and if general colonel major are all by spy it is best to "sacrifice" marshall to take general then blitz in with general to eat captain. major and/or colonel a much bigger prize.

marshall over general losing to spy is a swap in most experts minds.

Consider using spy on offense, that is to say quit worrying about a scout on it, hang it out there in front(mid game not at very beginning) and use it as a fake rusher to get a marshall. This only works when the opppoents marshall is not known, but you are 85% certain you know what piece it is and its about poised to show itself.

In any case sending garbage pieces works best, not always but it should work in a game in which enemy is defensive minded. It wont work to much on a blitz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users