Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hello, friends!

I have just recently started playing stratego, and I am constantly learning and am slightly obsessed with it at the most.

An Issue I am constantly struggling with is the attack early in the game with the marshal. Often players around .500 record will charge their marshal down on one side first attacking with scouts and then just taking all the loot with their marshal, unafraid of the spy.

I have really been struggling to deal with it. I have tried sticking a spy shallow over on one side, but of course he could simply do it on the other side, plus if he doesn't employ the attack at all, the spy is rather vulnerable there.
Another possible strategy is to put a layer of bombs on one side and the spy on the other side, but I never feel comfortable completely blocking a side like that.
Another is to charge with my general as soon as he starts charging with his marshal but then it seems the chances could just be 50/50.

SO, I want to hear about your experiences against this attack and whether you have consistent success against it, and how. Have you changed your setups to meet it or just respond when it happens?
I really believe it is a poor strategy, but it seems the best chance a lesser player has at beating a better player.

Thanks!

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#2 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Some tips here how to play. Please note every game is different and you should never use an absolute set of ideas in how to play a game, if you do they you are predictable and will lose more games than you win.

I usually tend to "like it" when my opponent shows me early on where their Marshall is at. It allows me to easily plan my attack at them back and I do usually tend to charge with my General. However, you may want to sometimes lead a charge with a lower pieces and you can either get them waste the rest of their scouts trying to figure out where your General is or they show you theirs if they are concerned.

If you ever play chess, the rule of thumb in that game is never start a game moving your Queen early on because it can lead you into trouble. I believe this rule can be applied to Stratego too when you show and move your Marshall too early. You are giving your opponent valuable information where you are weak. So my advice to you is, if they wish to blitz on one side of the board with their Marshall, come at them strong on the other but, don't get reckless. Odds are they may have bombs up front, so have plenty of scouts and miners ready to assist on your counter attack.

As for setups, if you are concerned by a Marshall blitzing you on the side early, try to place lower pieces there and a few bombs in uncommon areas. This will slow them down and hopefully you can get your own attack going.

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

What also helps is that you simply don't react to his moves.
Like you're totally not concerned. That's what your opponent wants,...that you are shaking in your boots and that you want the threat to be gone. He wants it so bad that you commit suicide with the marshall while he jacked a captain and a lieutenant in the meantime.

No, let him waste his scouts and miners but simply don't react.
But yeah,...that's only possible if the marshall is charging in a territory that doesn't concern you much because it's fulled with rubbish and bombs.

If that's not the case,...well.........may God be with you then, lol :)

What also helps......the moment his marshall is known, you're charging with the marshall yourself.
He will probably think that it's your general for the counterattack.
If his general is also known, simply put your marshall beside his general.
He will probably think you're bluffin' because why would you give your opponent the chance to avoid the marshall with his general so he can attack to. He clearly doesn't expect this weird move.
So he attacks the marshall with the general and it's game over normally.
I've learned this trick from Eusgenius who pulled it off against me in another game.
It's absolutely brilliant but you gotta be sure that there is no back-up for his general.
Always do moves that your opponent totally doesn't expect.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Just beaten a player who tried the typical Marshall blitz attack that Varish was asking for advice on. It cost me a Major early on but, I had his Marshall pinned down in the right side after he discovered my General early on. As I suspected he had his bombs on left side of the board, but 3 bombs lined horizontally costs me a colonel! Early on taking out another bomb with my miner already knew were 5 of them were at. I found another bomb he had on the right side of the board so knew his flag was near.

He tried to move his Marshall to the center of the board in my zone but I sold him on a good bluff that my Miner was a Spy and then got him to believe my Spy was my Marshall. He moved his General towards mine to prevent my General from making any attack and I had to settled for an exchange. He moved his Marshall taking out my Major but my Spy that he thought was my Marshall took him out. Then I moved my Miner that he thought was my Spy (now believing it was my Marshall) towards his Colonel and he quickly guarded him with his Spy. He got careless after he tried to move his Colonel around and left his Spy open to my Scout attack. After that my Marshall (that I never moved yet) was on the other side of the board easily came in for the final attack to capture his flag. He stated at the end of the game I was lucky and he would easily get revenge on me. Was in luck or was it he really made a number of poor plays?
  • vegas and Lord Invader like this

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

the spy disguise,......i love those TRICKZ :D

#6 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Spy disguise is very nice! Especially when you play against a player who is exchange his peaces :)
Another great tactic is faking your marshall by following a known general. Then when his general walks along the real marshall you deliver a real surprise :P

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#7 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

I just played a guy, a bronze colonel, who used this marshal lotto attack. And I beat him!

What trickz said helped some. I put a bunch of trash pieces on one side of the board and some bombs and had my spy and my good pieces in the center and on the other side. He spent his whole game using up his scouts to explore and taking my weak pieces with his marshal.

I launched a counter attack on the other side of the board with a major, a colonel, and two threes. With my colonel I charged at any piece coming at me so he thought it was my marshal or my general. I had it backed up with a three so he would possibly be hesitant to take it with his general, but it turns out his general was not even in a good defensive position.

I cleared out the whole backrow on one side in the counterattack which left the 'pyramid' shape that we know so well. Took a bomb with a miner who had also been acting as a high piece, then took the major that recaptured with my colonel and took the flag next move.

It makes for an exciting game. :)

#8 Bladin

Bladin

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Personally I always played with different rules from the retail game, my family always got rid of the rule where both pieces are eliminated when like pieces attack. Instead we played with only the defending piece is lost when like pieces do combat...completely elimnates the whole piece trading concept and makes the game immensely more challenging and "strategic". There is no such thing as just rushing forward trading pieces, you have to play smart and getting your opponent to reveal locations becomes paramount. I never understood why this rule wasn't used in the game regularly, it is a worlds better play experience than just trading pieces.

#9 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

That's just nonsense what you say.
It doesn't make any sense to attack a sergeant with a sergeant and that the attacking sergeant wins,.....he's the same rank so why should he win? They just commit suicide, that's logical, that's how the rule is for about a century.....
And then you also say that you have to play smart in this way,.......yeah, as if your invented rule is the way to play smart and the original game with the ORIGINAL rules, that's not so smart........where's the logic in that? :rolleyes:
If you want special rules, then play a sideversion or something,....there are enough variants to Stratego.

Meanwhile,.....if I attack your captain with a captain,.....then we're both gone!
Cheers! B)

#10 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Yes, playin that way would destroy the games, I think. It would make the aggressor lose. Anyone foolish enough to venture their top pieces next to another piece at any time, they could lose immediately. That is silly.

#11 Bladin

Bladin

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Try it sometime, it is much more challenging and realistic...just like a genuine military you have to use screening units and find your enemies locations. None of this piece trade crap of just charging your highest pieces in order one after another.

#12 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Try it sometime, it is much more challenging and realistic...just like a genuine military you have to use screening units and find your enemies locations. None of this piece trade crap of just charging your highest pieces in order one after another.

You're acting like the original game is everything except tactical.
According to you it's just brainlessly rushing in your opponent's territory, hopefully take the lead with a jacked lieutenant and or captain and then hoping to trade off the rest of the pieces so you have the advantage with one or two ranks up.

Not a single good player would play like that. That's just lucky lottery charging. It has nothing to do with skills.
And if you're in front by good play, then it's very tactical to trade off the rest of the pieces because it gives you the advantage, that's logical!
Yet you call this "piece trade crap",...
I call your invented rule crap,.........it doesn't make any sense.
Really a noob's version of how to play smart Stratego,.......

Just learn how to play the game and then you won't say things like this.
Stratego with its original rules is a very tactical game where you have to think with every move you do.
Even if it concerns trading off pieces.

But yeah, whatever,......this seems a pointless discussion with you.
Fine with me :)

#13 Riddler

Riddler

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I had it once, when someone charged with their Marshall right away. He took a sergeant and then stepped on a bomb. I don't think it's a really good idea to charge with your Marshall, too many risks.

The Marshall is more a defensive piece in my eyes instead of an offensice piece.

#14 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

You are right there Riddler. Was his name William by chance? On another site, William would start game with a charge with his Marshall on the side of the board. It was so well know about his starting attack, all you had to do was put bombs in that area and he walks right into it and then he left game. I got at least 3 easy wins from him knowing that he was going to do that.

The Marshall alone isn't really an attacking piece is true, but if he is accompany by a few other pieces he can be powerful. You just have to come up with a good game plan and then know what is out there before you march him into possible danger.

#15 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Was his name William by chance? On another site, William would start game with a charge with his Marshall on the side of the board. It was so well know about his starting attack, all you had to do was put bombs in that area and he walks right into it and then he left game. I got at least 3 easy wins from him knowing that he was going to do that.

Haha, indeed....I remember William as well and I also got easy wins with the bombs on the front row.
Knew he always did that and when I challenged him a couple of times, he refused to play :)

I think he's here as well with the name SirWilliam,....but I'm not sure.

#16 Riddler

Riddler

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

No, it was not William. I don't know who it was, but I'm certain i've never met a William

#17 Guest_NDJ_*

Guest_NDJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Haha, William from onlinestratego.com, with his second real cheat-account Roy. He used William to analyze opponents, only to challenge them as Roy right after. No wonder Roy had such an "incredible" win ratio.... (there were multiple such assholes there, like new1=stratego100 etc.). I hope this system manages to stay clean from them as much as possible.

But personally, I really loveeeee Marshall attackers ;) Gives me an almost certain win :P

#18 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

I just played a guy rated 500 who had a pretty good win percentage, so I was surprised he used this marshal lotto. I had not built my setup as an anti-marshal attack system so he was able to get a lot of material. He was up three captains and two majors, but I took his colonel in exchange and then we traded marshals.
I kept fighting and attacking unmoved pieces with intermediate pieces to try to get a read on his bomb formation. Then I discovered two bombs of he characteristic triangle structure on the back rank, but then found all six bombs so it meant it was not a full triangle, so I triumphantly marched my general up there and took 4 unmoved pieces before taking the flag.
Very pleasing result. :)
  • Midnightguy likes this

#19 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

Varnish I've won a number of games being down a few middle pieces even a colonel to bombs but, once you locate those 6 bombs and can convince you can get your opponent to chase a weaker pieces into your zone, you can then move your highest pieces and go to work on smashing their army.

Was once in a game where my opponent did the typical Marshall blitz and even had his General and a Colonel accompany him on my left side. He captured early a Major and Captain of mine and was trading off scouts trying to find what else he could take out with his Marshall. He then took out my Colonel too, which I could have offered a trade off with Marshall's but knowing now I had to play in cool and hope I could make my counter attack. His Marshall was deep in my zone and he was looking for more pieces to take. I had General and Colonel on the right side. Of course he had bombs planted all over the right, but it didn't take long to note where they all were. After I broke through his bomb line, it was party time! I took out a long line of pieces with my General and he tried to get his General over to stop me but, was one square too late and he was helpless to watch me march my General to his unprotected flag in the corner.
  • Lord Invader likes this

#20 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Today a bronze marshal (I think his name was Monkeykong) Walked down into my base with his marshal and took my general. I had never moved it the whole game. He had never attacked it to know its identity. It was unprotected with the spy. he just up and took it and left.
How? How does a player do this? It absolutely blew my mind. I have never played someone who has done something so ridiculous. I just had to resign immediately. I don't even know what stratego is anymore.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention. My general was even on the 2nd to last ran.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users