RogueMonk

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Is there something that can be done about all the "poor-sports"?

I'm not the greatest stratego player--still learning--but I have managed to win a number of games.  And way too often the "losers" will try and run the clock down--taking 15sec each move, or running the 5:00 buffer down and then quitting to start the 2:30 clock. I mean, I get that there is the odd idiot out there who can't deal with a loss. But I'm seeing this way too often--its like an epidemic. Can something be done? Shorter turn times, lower buffer clock, or just plain get rid of the "poor-sports"?

• DarthRemark likes this

#2 sirgeicoad

sirgeicoad

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

I'm not the greatest stratego player--still learning--but I have managed to win a number of games.  And way too often the "losers" will try and run the clock down--taking 15sec each move, or running the 5:00 buffer down and then quitting to start the 2:30 clock. I mean, I get that there is the odd idiot out there who can't deal with a loss. But I'm seeing this way too often--its like an epidemic. Can something be done? Shorter turn times, lower buffer clock, or just plain get rid of the "poor-sports"?

It gets better as you move up the ranks. As with pretty much all online gaming there are some bad apples and immature players in the early going, but soon enough you'll find more grownups and good sports.

#3 Relentless Horde

Relentless Horde

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'm relatively new here as well.  I've only encountered a few people that did those things.  One guy, when he realized his doom was inevitable, started running the 15 second clock down every time.  After he did that for about 5 minutes, he quit and just disconnected after I told him I had all day to wait.

Other than that, I just run into the people who just disconnect as soon as things don't go their way (which I don't understand, I've had a few "come from behind" wins in my short career here).  At my level (Bronze Lieutenant and below), people are more apt to make silly mistakes allowing recovery from an early deficit. So then it's just a matter of waiting the 2'30.  

the main problem is the well discussed issue of refusing ties.  

I'll second sirgeicoad though. The sore losers are the very low level players.  I've never had that happen when I was playing a lieut or above.

#4 RogueMonk

RogueMonk

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm not the greatest player--still learning--slowly. So its little concolation at this point that things get better as you raise up the ranks. Too bad, really, the "poor-sports" likely scare people off before they have a change to get better.

Still wonder if there is something that can be done.

#5 RogueMonk

RogueMonk

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Third one today!

EDIT - Uploaded a picture, but then resized it would show my setup. Oops.

#6 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

"It gets better as you move up the ranks".

Well, it may not be as prevalent but you'll get some of the most upset folks when your 165 ranking beats their 740.  And the flood of obscenities starts and time wasting can be endless in the attempt to not lose 23 points.  This is especially true if you play an attacking style of play.  Some folks seem to believe that any attack is somehow less pure than identifying each piece before attacking.

It seems to come and go - some of the worst behavior does seem to be less than it was a while ago.  But the time wasting will only change when the move clock is changed to 5 seconds.  That would greatly reduce the amount of anyone's time that can be wasted by poor sports.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#7 PsychoPatty

PsychoPatty

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

@ Scott, it's getting very boring and annoying when 1/3 matches is against an idiot who is to stupid to get better at Stratego and has to Marshall Blitz/Lotto to get a win and does NOT care about loss number 3456.

5 seconds per move is a drastic change, it leaves no room to think..

@ any of the above..

As Scott also said, don't put hope on the fact that more ELO gets rid of unsportmanship behavior..

Untitled-1.jpg

When I say sucker, I mean Good Game, Sucker!

#8 sirgeicoad

sirgeicoad

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

@ Scott, it's getting very boring and annoying when 1/3 matches is against an idiot who is to stupid to get better at Stratego and has to Marshall Blitz/Lotto to get a win and does NOT care about loss number 3456.

5 seconds per move is a drastic change, it leaves no room to think..

@ any of the above..

As Scott also said, don't put hope on the fact that more ELO gets rid of unsportmanship behavior..

Although I haven't outed disconnectors or draw refusers publicly on the forum, I try to keep a file/folder of them for giggles and to remember it's coming if I play again, and it's certainly pretty big. The vast majority are from when I was between ratings of 100 and 350. I have few of each above that but it really tails off. I personally have never seen anyone intentionally slow-playing turns above 350. 

I don't care about the disconnectors much at all anyway, but that's just me. Draw refusals is another story, though.

#9 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

I could care less about any of my losses.  Number 1, Number 235, Number 3245.  its a board game.  In case you don't see the news too often parts of our world are aflame in war & violence.

Lets be clear.  The rules of this game have been changed to accommodate those unwilling to attack.  The idea that nines can fly directly into opponents pieces is not the game I grew up with and it aids those that sit on their side.  This is NOT chess.  If you want to play a game of pure skill - match minds - Chess is quite available - every piece is known at all times and both players start with the same setup.  Just your mind against your opponents. 

It takes no talent nor imagination to move your three into a known four.  My five year old daughter can do that.

Changing the clock to five seconds doesn't stop anyone from thinking - you have 5 minutes of thinking per game.  It removes all the nonsense of time wasting - it cuts down on the hurling of insults via the message box - and it keeps the game moving along.

​Spartan Warriors

#10 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

I could care less about any of my losses.  Number 1, Number 235, Number 3245.  its a board game.  In case you don't see the news too often parts of our world are aflame in war & violence.

Lets be clear.  The rules of this game have been changed to accommodate those unwilling to attack.  The idea that nines can fly directly into opponents pieces is not the game I grew up with and it aids those that sit on their side.  This is NOT chess.  If you want to play a game of pure skill - match minds - Chess is quite available - every piece is known at all times and both players start with the same setup.  Just your mind against your opponents. 

It takes no talent nor imagination to move your three into a known four.  My five year old daughter can do that.

Changing the clock to five seconds doesn't stop anyone from thinking - you have 5 minutes of thinking per game.  It removes all the nonsense of time wasting - it cuts down on the hurling of insults via the message box - and it keeps the game moving along.

It takes no skill to run your marshal than general down the flanks with no scouting into bombs either. Perhaps you should try a new game.

• PsychoPatty likes this
3 - 0

#11 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

Its not a game of pure skill.

That is what chess is for. 

As for the suggestion we go find another game - well we'll just keep attacking!

​Spartan Warriors

#12 PsychoPatty

PsychoPatty

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

Its not a game of pure skill.

That is what chess is for. 

As for the suggestion we go find another game - well we'll just keep attacking!

3600+ losses, my my my..

Any retard can run his top pieces right after eachother in unknown pieces..

It takes skill to improve your game and rise in ELO..

Something you pretty much lack in..

But it must feel good to win over newbies, isn't it?

And still 3600 losses against the same newbies and other narrow minded people with many many games..

Untitled-1.jpg

When I say sucker, I mean Good Game, Sucker!

#13 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Pure Class.

​Spartan Warriors

#14 Relentless Horde

Relentless Horde

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

ugh!  two back to back bad losses.  I shouldn't play when I'm tired.  sloppy losses to people who just bored me into being too aggressive by just shuffling shuffling shuffling shuffling.

#15 RogueMonk

RogueMonk

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

There has got to be something that can be done about these idiots!

I just played a game with JORDILPA2 that took 45 minutes before I finally quit. He/she took exactly 15 sec to make every turn. It was so boring and wasted so much time. I finally needed to get to work, so I had to quit. Pathetic and infuriating. And it makes this game unbearable and no fun.

#16 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yes I absolutely hate when that happens :( :angry:

Lo

#17 PUTIN

PUTIN

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

It gets better as you move up the ranks. As with pretty much all online gaming there are some bad apples and immature players in the early going, but soon enough you'll find more grownups and good sports.

I dont think 15 seconds per move is strange. And especially not when you move up rangs. It's better than throwing in pieces for hundreds of games ending up with 50/50 win ratio if lucky. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users