Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Another problem i noticed 

after reconnection cant see the pieces that have been lost and continue blindly!

This is a big disadvantage...

it happens today to me against Napoleon

• Dekaeneas-Spy, PsychoPatty and bmende like this

#2 Aris1970

Aris1970

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

This happens after reconnecting ( is a big disadvantage)

#3 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

yes cflag ... but I had only 5-6 pieces left when it happened, so it was not to dramatic ... and it didn't prevent your victory, even it was just for 1 move earlier than me!!! your lotto with your general was done with full intelligence, I learned something during this game.

... If you play the same in Thessalonik next week you will go far, good luck

Napoleon 1er

• NTactical and Dekaeneas-Spy like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#4 sirgeicoad

sirgeicoad

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

If this ever happens to your opponent, take a moment to give the rundown to him/her as fair play. Same if there's a brief wifi outage, where a piece moved but one of you couldn't see what happened. 

• cflag and bmende like this

#5 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

Napoleon i never intended to become dramatic,i simply record the problem

should not have?

About the general risk dont forget i already know your 50%of bombs.....

Thank you for your wishes and for the game you are very good player 

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

thank you, yes in our game at a certain point I had the choice between either capturing a captain or making the exchange of the generals. I choose capturing the captain but then cflag, knowing 3 of my bombs was able to enter my field with his gen and lotto my 2nd row, capturing spy, major, lieutnant and scout ... all this for 1 captain ... snif ... sometimes it's better not to be voracious... good stratego lesson anyway

Napoleon 1er

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

If this ever happens to your opponent, take a moment to give the rundown to him/her as fair play. Same if there's a brief wifi outage, where a piece moved but one of you couldn't see what happened. 

Yes we can cover all of the wounds of poor programming with good sportsmanship or we can go to Gravon and play without a dozen bugs. This has happened to me several times and my opponents have never been willing to inform me of the pieces left.

#8 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Yes we can cover all of the wounds of poor programming with good sportsmanship or we can go to Gravon and play without a dozen bugs. 

Why don't you go back to Gravon then, Ben?  It's tiresome reading your complaints but still you stay.  Everyone here knows the issues.  You can be a good sport and play around them or take your own advice.

• vegas likes this

#9 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

The only problem with Gravon is the lack of players. Very few players there. I just had another bogus loss here from a bug here. How often does that happen there? No reason to be rude, DM.

#10 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

Not trying to be rude Ben but thought you were.  You’ve posted on multiple threads now about how much you hate this place and how superior Gravon is.  There’s a reason Gravon is empty and this place is full.  Gravon’s not hidden.  It’s still on the first page in a Google search.  If people wanted to play there they would.  

• vegas and Napoleon 1er like this

#11 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thank you Darthremark, you are right there are good reasons why stratego.com is growing and successful while the other websites are dying. The answer is very simple : The other websites are arrogant with their customers and have no clue what a good marketing strategy is !!! Let me explain :
1) The objective of stratego.com is not just to provide a platform to play stratego but is to promote stratego worldwide and boost sales of stratego boxes. So the first marketing principle is to identify your target customers, who are they for stratego boxes? The elite players who are stratego champions and play every week very regularly ? No, this category of players already has bought all possible boxes they want and they are just a minority of persons worldwide. The right target customers are the young boys and the newbies. They represent the future of stratego and the potential future buyers of stratego boxes. This is were the strategies of gravon and stratego.com are totally opposite. On Gravon you have to strict rules, to complicated registration process and it does not allow each player to have the same chances to play with any other (equivalent to random matching system available on stratego.com).
First  example: when you are a 12 years old boy (target customer) who wants to play stratego online ... if you go on stratego.com you can play within just a few seconds, just open the website main page, put in your email, nick name and password and you are already at a screen asking you to play. On gravon if you register, you put in your data and you receive a message telling you that your registration is beeing checked and you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours ... but if you are a 12 years old boy you want to play right now not tomorrow...
Second example: on stratego.com already after having played your first game you get rewarded with a medal even if you lose the game ... fantastic ... the immediate natural reaction of the 12 years old boy is to visit the list of the other possible medals ... then he discovers that there is one if you play 5 games, then another one if you delete 10 bombs and so on.... when you are a young boy (and the category of the young boys is the most populated category of target stratego boxes future customers) you find this just extremely attractive and you only want to play stratego more and more ... and with the sound of the explosion and the smoke after each battle ... this makes it all so fantastically real, isn't it ?... also adults like that right? ;) ... On Gravon you will get in a box waiting for an opponent that will never come ... then you change tactic and enter in a room where there is already somebody ... unlucky ... this opponent is an "elite" player who refuses to play with a newbie like you ... so he leaves the room without even saying goodbye and you just feel very frustrated if you are a young boy ... what is this crazy stratego website ... I have nothing to do here ... so by having this attitude gravon does exactly the contrary of what stratego.com is doing ... promoting stratego to maximize the number of players by focusing on the young and newbies.
These are only 2 examples demonstrating the wrong marketing approach of the other websites and the reason for their non success. On stratego.com we definitely have to pursue our growth maintaining our strategy and not to "import" ideas from other unsuccessful websites that might destroy our own success.
2) This makes me come to the many discussions already made on multiple accounts and IP checks: The rationale would say that every player should have one account, so the resulting ranking will be realistic and representative of the reality and this would avoide the cheating on set ups playing with one account and then with second account against same player you know his setup and he not. My position here was always to allow the multiple accounts but with some rules, why?
First of all because again the objective of stratego.com is to promote stratego to a maximum of players, so you have to make sure that the most populated category of your future customers (the young boys) are happy, so if the young boy fighting for the medals is suddenly unhappy because he just lost his tenth game after 9 victories in a row (and so misses the medal) and prefers to open a new account "to make it easier" to get this medal you shall let him do, otherwise you may lose one new stratego fan and future customer ... there is strictly no advantage to frustrate him and possibly lose him…  and his second account is definitely not going to disturb anybody in the top silver area...
Secondly you can have players who wants to fight for beeing the highest ranked with 100% win instead of fighting for the highest rank ... if you filter the leaderboard for the players having 100% win and follow up you will notice that there is also a big battle in the bronze general area for that...I imagine it's a lot of thrill because the rule of the game there is "up or out" ... stratego.com objective is to maximize the number of players and this means ensuring fun to all players ... if on a game site a player has no fun he stops playing and you lose a customer ... it would be just stupid... does it disturb somebody if one player is following a different objective than the ranking points? …I think no but I know my preferred legal adviser on this website The Maestro will tell me that it is not what you do that is important but what you do to the others … but I’m sure we can find a pragmatic solution with him. :D 
Thirdly yes the multiple accounts are "disturbing" the true ranking  but who cares? First of all it’s not the ranking points that are important but your position in the ranking and secondly  the objective of stratego.com is not to become the official and only world stratego ranking but ensure fun and promotion of stratego to a maximum of players. The ELO ranking is only here to give you indications of your true level and your positioning against others, and it is absolutely fullfilling this task.  Now of course the multiple accounts and specially the old and unused ones are polluting the ranking list ... that's why a clean ranking has been created with the aim to have a ranking with each player beeing listed only once for more transparency ... it would be good to have this ranking automatically filtrable from the system but for time beeing a manual excel version is ok …The ELO system makes it in such way that any player is only able to reach his true level, even if temporarily disturbed by some games against some second accounts of higher ranked players, each player recovers his true level after just a few games. For example Satan-NL is « stagnating » at 1100 since one year even he is playing a lot, this is his true level. I’m stagnating just above 800 since 5 months, this is my true level, Montagna4 is stagnating in the bronze marshall area even with his record of games played because it is his true level. Of course you can increase your true level if you become better and improve your skills, but this growth is usually slow, you need to play a lot.
Four: the only aspect of multiple account that is problematic and unsportsmanlike and that has to be treated and punished as such is the setups cheating. To avoide this, who wants to have multiple accounts should declare them and it has to be transparent somewhere on the forum or at least when somebody is playing a player for second time but with a different account he has to inform his opponent during setup phase by chat (this is what I'm doing personnally). A player failing to inform his opponent and profiting from his knowledge of the setup to gain advantage has to be punished ... we are currently brainstorming for a solution how to put it into a rule and anybody having a good idea how to do it is welcome to help us...
So Burly Ben … maybe I shall call you Sadistic ? … if you have made a second account to cheat the setups of others it is unfair but if it is to eliminate from your win ratio the bad % you lost in the beginning due to miss Click then it is forgivable but please be transparent with your opponents. The all time best stratego player worldwide cannot remain hidden …right ? ;) 
Fifth: IP checks are not sufficiently efficient for detecting multiple accounts because of dynamic IPs, because of players playing from different computers, tablets or wifis, because of multiple players playing from same IP (for example internet cafes or members of same family) and at the end ... what is the gain of knowing multiple accounts? For me IP checks shall be used in 2 situations only: for tournaments where it is necessary to verify to have only different players registered and for verifying the other accounts of a player that has repeatedly been subject to abusive behaviour and is candidate to be banned (as per the forum rules). Again on stratego.com you may discover that from the 178000 accounts registered you may find 120000 multiple accounts or more ... do you want to ban them all? This would be completely against the objective of the website which is to care for maximizing the number of stratego fans and promote stratego...maximum what can be done is to clean all old and unused accounts, for example all accounts with no changes since more than one year.
3) Focusing on the young and newbies is good but you also have to satisfy the other customer categories. In particular the "elite" players, for them (= let’s define them as beeing the silver league) the matching system shall be "selectable" if they want to be matched only with players above a certain rank the option shall be created to allow such filter. Consequence of course if the selected minimum rank is to close from the player’s rank he may have to wait a very long time until a match is found. Then the ranking list shall be filtrable for various options. For example if the cleaned ranking would be implemented in the system you may be allowed to filter for having only those players part of the clean ranking (= only the officially registered players), or you can filter by country ... I can imagine Greece maybe interested to have an "only Greeks" ranking … or you can filter by „players having played at least 1 game in the last 3 months » and so on..

This is just to give you my vision of stratego.com … I hope it is shared by a majority of players… main message is : JUST CONTINUE TO HAVE FUN ON STRATEGO.COM

Napoleon 1er

• KARAISKAKIS, vegas, Aris1970 and 5 others like this

#12 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Please keep fights off of this topic.

• bmende likes this

#13 PsychoPatty

PsychoPatty

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Indeed very annoying, especially mid-game..

Unfortunatly like the other 10 to-do-lists and all types of improvements of this site, nothing will change..

Untitled-1.jpg

When I say sucker, I mean Good Game, Sucker!

#14 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,750 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

First example: when you are a 12 years old boy (target customer) who wants to play stratego online ... if you go on stratego.com you can play within just a few seconds, just open the website main page, put in your email, nick name and password and you are already at a screen asking you to play. On gravon if you register, you put in your data and you receive a message telling you that your registration is beeing checked and you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours ... but if you are a 12 years old boy you want to play right now not tomorrow...

Napoleon, one of the things we have wrong here is the easy access to the system. Anyone can make up a fake email and start an account in 5 minutes or less. I kind of like the fact that Gravon takes the time to at least see if one's email is valid. Whether this should take 24 hrs. is another question, but currently we do not check at all here so that is worse, in my opinion.

Second example: on stratego.com already after having played your first game you get rewarded with a medal even if you lose the game ... fantastic ... the immediate natural reaction of the 12 years old boy is to visit the list of the other possible medals ... then he discovers that there is one if you play 5 games, then another one if you delete 10 bombs...

Some awards are clearly more meaningful than others. They represent real accomplishment. Win streaks are nice, for example. But defusing bombs? C'mon, about all they're good for is this instant gratification thing for a 12 year old boy you mention. And not even long for him, I daresay. I think when I was 12 I would've seen through them. You know, this is as Mr. Incredible famously said, "It's insane! They're finding new ways to reward mediocrity!"

...so you have to make sure that the most populated category of your future customers (the young boys) are happy, so if the young boy fighting for the medals is suddenly unhappy because he just lost his tenth game after 9 victories in a row....

He's just starting out and wins 9 of 10 games? Why isn't he happy?! Napoleon, you're not going to be able to pad his self esteem forever here. One of these days the kid is going to get his butt handed to him on a sling. Are you going to take it easy on him? No way, it will be the "Apocalypse" for that kid, I'm thinking. When, exactly, would you suggest we stop denying reality to your mythical 12 year old boy and begin slaughtering him?

Fifth: IP checks are not sufficiently efficient for detecting multiple accounts because of dynamic IPs, because of players playing from different computers, tablets or wifis, because of multiple players playing from same IP (for example internet cafes or members of same family)...

yes, and then you say...

...For me IP checks shall be used in 2 situations only: for tournaments where it is necessary to verify to have only different players registered and for verifying the other accounts of a player that has repeatedly been subject to abusive behaviour and is candidate to be banned (as per the forum rules).

Well, why use the IP checks at all if they are not effective as you just stated above? Pill poppin maniac seems a standout point from the last tournament, and I'd still like to know who he was. What to do about that for the next tournament? Hmm. Maybe we just let them play and not worry about it if they qualify with a ranking and a certain number of games played on the site? This way there would be less of a chance of an unknown sneaking in, I think.

...all accounts with no changes since more than one year.

I kind of like this part of your plan, only I would submit that we only delete the accounts with X number of games played or less and then merely hide the rest til they become active again.

Gary

PS:  Good luck with the tournament.

Napoleon 1er

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#15 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

I often face the problem of getting disconnected then not being able to see count of pieces lost or taken. I always ask the player to assist me, but I think this has only happened once or twice in over 10 times that this has happened to me.

Secondly, I once was playing on my laptop and the battery died while playing. I then went onto my phone and it wouldn't allow me to select the rejoin button. I have an android LG L80. I wonder if this is the same on all android devices or just a few.

Thirdly, is it possible for someone to have a thread for all of the bugs in the game and list the verified ones at the top of the thread? It took me some time to find this thread, as it is titled poorly ("One more problem") and not included in a list of all bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users