Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

A game against malachi, I had a sure win. Generals were gone and I had a colonel and major over him and knew where his last major was as well as his marshall. I also had a marshall. Well, I trapped another piece in his territory and heard the shuffle of him moving a piece and the trapped piece was gone from its location, without any arrow as to where it went. Assuming the only place it could have gone was back, I hit that space with my colonel and it was a bomb. Next I hit the only other place it could have gone with my marshall and gave the game to Malachi (another bomb).

All I can say is, this site sucks big dick with its bugs and whatever jerks are in charge of this, you need to fix this crap. No wonder so many players complain about this garbage. How long do you think it will take for members to spread the word and get so pissed they go to Gravons? No bugs there bros.

#2 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Sorry my friend, you know please to tell me because I have not never played in gravon if in Forum has players who hide their names?

Here at the site have anonymous users and too bad to been watching you what you write and what read and they hide behind from anonymity.
They forget that it comes to playing and not for Secret Service.

Thank you

#3 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Lots of issues here my friendly Dekaeneas. Way too many to mention but I think the reason aliases run wild is because people don't take it seriously with so many bugs. What a joke!

• Dekaeneas-Spy and Aris1970 like this

#4 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Lots of issues here my friendly Dekaeneas. Way too many to mention but I think the reason aliases run wild is because people don't take it seriously with so many bugs. What a joke!

Unfortunately so is my friend but .......
The kambia said that moderators can be hiding (anonymous ysers).

Kambia

Advanced Member

• Origspy.png?_r=1384601705
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 52 postsDecal001.png
  • rank8.png

Posted 25 minutes ago

Hmmm... I was logged in since your last post and I'm not in your list! Weird! 

Anyway, consider that sometimes mods or admins may log in as anonymous users.

#5 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Βen i agree with you about the superiority of gravon in most areas

if it might have automatic opponent selection and choice for new pieces the number of players was greater

i consider that most valued players will return there in time...

• Dekaeneas-Spy and Aris1970 like this

#6 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Ben.  Just to be clear, are you claiming there is an actual bug (as in the piece disappeared), or that you just lost track of where it went without the arrows?  

As to the aliases, I think that's solely a function of how easy it is to get away with it.  I don't recall if you were on Gravon in the early days but it was bad there too at first and then Spion and Dieter cracked down.  No one is policing aliases here right now so it's easy to use them, which makes it very difficult to compete fairly. 

As you know the site is only half built and there are several things that aren't completely baked.  Personally, I like it here in spite of the issues.  I played at Gravon for a long time and they've got all the technical stuff nailed, but I'm just a sucker for pretty graphics.  :)  I appreciate everything Gravon has done, but I'll stick with this place until it gets fixed or turned off.  

• Dekaeneas-Spy and cflag like this

#7 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

Darth, the piece simply disappeared and no arrow was showing, so I assumed that it had to be straight back. there wasn't any where else for it to go. I haven't any idea what happened but it would never, ever happen at Gravon. The technical programming there is perfect. Players need to go back there. I know I would in a heartbeat. I hate losing games for bogus reasons and the alias thing is just another indicator of this being a free-for all.

#8 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Darthremark i agree with some work this site can be number1 not only in players... 

#9 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

Darth, the piece simply disappeared and no arrow was showing, so I assumed that it had to be straight back. there wasn't any where else for it to go. I haven't any idea what happened but it would never, ever happen at Gravon. The technical programming there is perfect. Players need to go back there. I know I would in a heartbeat. I hate losing games for bogus reasons and the alias thing is just another indicator of this being a free-for all.

Wow.  I've never seen or heard of anything that bad.  It would be nice if there was a game replay feature so it could be examined after the fact.    

I'd disagree that players need to go back to Gravon.  It all depends on what you're looking for.  If you want a place for high-level competition with a reasonable guarantee of fairness, then Gravon is it. They have all the technical stuff right.  But this place is much prettier and far more active.  I've signed in several times when there was absolutely no one in the Stratego rooms at Gravon.  I've never seen fewer than 40 games (that's 80 players) raging here though and often there are well over 100 games going.  This is a place where you can play a fun game with slick graphics.  This site wasn't built to cater to world-class competitors.  It was built to promote Stratego and make it easy for people, especially young kids, to sign on and get hooked on the game.  Are they going to create aliases?  Yes. But turning the site into a police state like Gravon will only frustrate them and turn them away.  I'm not sure how many aliases are actually being used to cheat anyway, but I'm sure some are.  If you're trying to get to the top of the ranking here though you are just going to have to dodge them. :)

So, no this place isn't a level playing ground but you can still have fun.  They ran an alias free tourney here a while back that provided a quality competitive experience.  Maybe we can do another.

• KARAISKAKIS and cflag like this

#10 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:53 AM

You are correct that this site is not ideal for world class players. It's a noob site for sure, not that I am one of the best but I am pretty good and this site annoys the heck out of me. I can only imagine what those the top players feel like. No wonder I never see them playing.

#11 The Maestro

The Maestro

Major

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Darth

I agree 100% with you that this site should have a broad appeal to the largest possible audience. There should be as many different people of ALL ages (and the younger the better) and all levels (perfect place to start playing, get better and perfecting it).

However, all the bugs but even more so the attitude/behaviour of some/many players are exactly preventing all this.

Since the bugs won't be fixed (there are NO programmers, so we are stuck with how they left it), all that can be done is at least do something about the attitude component. That is were the moderators come in.

They have to do something but it is not always easy exactly what they should do and should not do, because they have to walk a shaking rope: a perfect balance on being strict enough to stop the most common and obvious offenses and on the other hand not end up as a dictator or police state.

Once you take the wrong exit or turn on that road, all you can do is go back and take the right one. You can't just keep driving around and getting more frustrated in the process.

A huge mistake was made here by accepting multiple accounts and then instead of going back on the right track by eliminating and prohibit them in words and actions, they started defending that choice, saying the admins had them (and I think admins SHOULD have them) so they can have them as well (makes NO sense at all). Other people then started using that defense as well, along with other crappy reasons. 

This is not a knock at the mods (because they are stratego lovers just like you and me) or a an attack at an individual member. Let's be clear about that before we get stuck in that swamp.

This resulted in police state like actions and the reactions etc etc, all resulting in exactly the opposite of what everybody wanted (mods and fair players). The results (mostly a huge level a distrust) are all over this forum and affect many many games and even tournaments.  

We have to get back on the right track, meaning eliminating duplicate accounts IMMEDIATELY, making clear and fair rules (no police state/witch hunting) and transparancy.

We all just want to have fun here, but you can't have fun running around blindfolded in a minefield (crappy lotto players excluded).....

• Midnightguy, Dekaeneas-Spy, Lonello and 4 others like this

#12 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

My friend Maestro

multiple accounts is a big problem and it is very difficult to solve if the programmers do not intervene.
We players must finally stop making new accounts, and play games only with one account for to help solve the problem.

Μust to declare all players who want to solve the problem only one account for their games.
Declare other accounts (Olympos 500 points, ODHGOS 400 points) and stop using them

• zoografos likes this

#13 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think you’ve struck it on the head, Maestro.  There’s simply not a lot that can be done without further action by the developers.  The MT’s powers are extremely limited and they can’t be expected to really fix anything.  Programming will resolve things like endless chasing, but foul language and cheating can only be countered when the offender has something to lose.  If they are not paying for anything then the worst you can do is delete their account, in which case they just start another.  No big loss unless they had a rating they cared about.

• Lonello likes this

#14 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

multiple accounts is a big problem and it is very difficult to solve if the programmers do not intervene.

We players must finally stop making new accounts, and play games only with one account for to help solve the problem.

Μust to declare all players who want to solve the problem only one account for their games.

This is the fair thing to do.  I don't get why someone would cheat just to climb the rankings anyway.  If you can't earn your rating fairly then what have you proved?  You hurt others and lie to yourself.  Pretty sad if you think about it. Honestly though, I'm not sure how many are really cheating this way.  I think most of the duplicate accounts are probably created for other reasons, like trying to get a better win percentage, or draw lower raters so you can get the 25 streak and such.  I'm sure some are cheating though.

• Dekaeneas-Spy likes this

#15 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

The one thing what is nice about this site is you get paired with peers so if you take on an alias you will start with 100 rating. It will take many, many hours of play to have your alias as strong as your first account and only then you can hook up with some opponents you apparantly wanted to cheat on and took notes from. I see it myself, I started playing here weeks ago but only get 10-15 points every game so still have not reached my peers.

Sure some kid might do aliases for awhile but it will get tiresome. This is not a practice he'll continue for years or even months I guess, starting all the time from 100 up to 1000 which will take over 100 hours real playing time.

Reacting to the actual thread: I love the slick graphics and the many competitors with thanks to the newbees. But the site was built to promote Stratego and to remain in Beta....; that just won't do. This domain should be a premier site for stratego so without the bugs, endless chasing etc. We need to have those programmers back ;) !!!

• Midnightguy, KARAISKAKIS, Dekaeneas-Spy and 4 others like this
Lo

#16 Thanatophobia

Thanatophobia

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

Is ANYONE working on fixing these bugs or do we have to continue to listen to "moderators" who do nothing but make vague and general comments about aliases that have NOTHING to do with the actual problems????

#17 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

How will limiting aliases solve the ineffable problem of too many bugs on the site to enjoy the game?

Terror made me cruel. 

#18 Burly Ben

Burly Ben

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

In my opinion the alias problem is not even important because of the bigger problem of losing games because of bugs and poor programming. This ruins any chance of fair rankings before the alias problem even becomes important.

#19 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

Exactly . . . every game I win is offset by the 1-2 I lose due to bugs on this site. Do it the right way or forget it.

Terror made me cruel. 

#20 sirgeicoad

sirgeicoad

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Exactly . . . every game I win is offset by the 1-2 I lose due to bugs on this site. Do it the right way or forget it.

Folks with issues, it might be helpful if you mention on what you're playing…app, mac/pc, browser, etc. 

I for one very, very rarely have any issues. If I do it's usually my own weak wifi. I'm on mac/safari.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users