kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

1. You should be able to view the achievements of your opponent. It's useless to me to know I'm a spymaster, but knowing that you have a 25-win streak is daunting.

2. I read a lot about draw refusal issues, repetitive moves, and I believe this is the only issue that hurts online stratego. Adopt an automatic draw system after xxx number of moves without any piece capture. Some chess games are drawn in a similar manner (after 50 moves).

3. Random pairing of opponents is simply perfect here. I'm less brave in facing a lower-ranked than a higher-ranked, and that's because I lost 20 points before..

4. I take duplicate accounts as "treachery" of the game here, we are dealing with stratego anyway. It takes time to maintain and takes greater skill in putting soooo many accounts in the top rankings. To balance things out, the official rule to delete accounts more than 6 months not having played a ranked match is good.

5. As for the vulgarities and unpleasant battle chats, in my personal opinion I think the game showcases generals, colonels and sergeants, not snakes and ladders. If someone is using it as a psychological weapon against me, I think that's perfectly fine. If I have to explain to a kid, I probably say not everyone is nice in war.

Great game anyway.

#2 bmende

bmende

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Here's my 2 cents if your interested.

1. Great idea. Also, it seems that if you touch your icon of yourself in a game you can't find out your own info, but you can your opponents, it would be nice to see both to compare.

2. Great idea

3. I don't know. As a Bronze Colonel, I think I prefer playing more experienced players, rather than inexperienced ones. And I would think it would be exhaustive moving up a few points a win with the less experienced ones

4. I'm pretty indifferent about allowing multiple acc. But personally I don't think they should be auto-deleted after 6 months (if there's, say more than 100 games in them). I could imagine myself getting caught up in work, forgetting about Stratego for a year, and then coming back hoping to continue where I left off. Although I suppose there's gotta be someway to manage this issue. I've heard there's over 10x non-active accounts as there are active. I think most of the non-active accounts though have only 1 game or so played on them, so I think acc w/only less than 10 games and inactive for more than 6 months could probably be deleted no problem.

5. I think that was a little too deep for me. Not exactly sure what you said, but to me it seems like your not bothered by hate in the chat room. For me though, I do get bothered when people send hate into the chat box, or  especially when they tell you there going to make you wait at the end of the game. Perhaps if there was just a 'report user chat' button that would help fix the issue

#3 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

5 - Say, someone with a username of URUSELESS is clearly trying to agitate, while another with a name of kokokitty wants you to underestimate..

I got profanities hurled at me for no reason. So I just minimised the battle chat and gave him a good thrashing.

What you ought to be bothered is whether you are getting the win or not. All is fair in love and war.

#4 bmende

bmende

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:05 AM

That's true, you can definitely just minimize the chat, and that's a good tip, I think I'll do that next. I think a 'report user chat' button could still help tho and/or a block chat button, so that it doesn't come up at all

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,737 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

1. I agree also. And I like bmende's additional request. That would be slick.

2. "Amen" from the choir here...

3. Random computer matching seems best to me. We have enough ranking problems without adding a Decline to Play button or similar.

4. KK, I don't know about deletion after six months either. It might be good. It would certainly be severe. Maybe as a less dramatic alternative we could give an incentive to play like after six to twelve months of inactivity, your account is dinged 100 ELO points a month? This would at least get them out of your hair in the silver ranks after that time. I would also think that reinstatement should require a specific amount of games played, such as 10, after penalty time frame was reached.

Bmende, I have no problem with accounts less than just a few games getting whacked though I'm not sure there's any solid number we could land upon for that criterion. Ten would be as good as any. It is a good idea that would delete a lot of "chaff" that only play a game or two. Nevertheless, I'm sure KK was thinking about all the junk at the upper levels.

5. I don't know about the chat. Ignoring it will be the best answer for awhile. If we get a report button there will have to be the manpower to enforce it. I'm not sure the MT would want this additional burden. I'd think there have to be a chat transcript button so conversations could be reviewed to help them out if they did take it on. Then at least the complaints could be accompanied with evidence.

Gary
  • bmende likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,737 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

The more I think about it, a chat transcript button seems like it would be a very good idea.  Generated by the system, this transcript would go a long way, possibly, toward ending junk in the chats.  I don't mean minor things.  Trash talking is just part of things to my way of thinking.  But some things rise to a higher level than that, and we could leave that definition alone for awhile.  If everyone knew they were being recorded in what they said, there wouldn't have to be any screenshots to prove the issue.  

Any others like this?

Gary

EDIT:  Oops, misspelled 'minor' as miner first time.

• bmende and kokokitty like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#7 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

http://www.stratego....rms-conditions/

hmmm did someone remove the word "Ranked" in front of Game ?

#8 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

The more I think about it, a chat transcript button seems like it would be a very good idea.  Generated by the system, this transcript would go a long way, possibly, toward ending junk in the chats.  I don't mean miner things.  Trash talking is just part of things to my way of thinking.  But some things rise to a higher level than that, and we could leave that definition alone for awhile.  If everyone knew they were being recorded in what they said, there wouldn't have to be any screenshots to prove the issue.  

Any others like this?

Gary

I like this idea.  Metaforge had it.  It made things easy for mods to see if a player was being abusive, and sometimes revealed that both players were at fault.  It also was nice to have for tournaments because if a player later disputed whether he had agreed to play at a certain time you could just check the transcript.

• bmende likes this

#9 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

6. Please allow the selection of nationality upon registration. It is an honour to fight for one's flag.

7. Make our own games recordable. I want to replay it to know where I gone wrong, or reminisce about my greatest victory. You could make this a payable option.

8. Expand the list of achievements as the game evolves. Now you have regulars with 1500+ victories and surely you can't stop at a 500-winner medal. Isn't losing 10 games in a row an achievement?

9. And you must reward me for achieving 'Gambler' twice! It's not easy! To add more fun achievements should be cumulative (put a number beside it).

10. Create a Death League like playing Diablo hardcode mode. You lose and your account gets deleted.

#10 bmende

bmende

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Actually that hardcore mode idea sounds interesting, would be fun I think to have a separate leaderboards for that. Perhaps instead of acc deletion, your "hardcore rating" just gets reset if you lose

#11 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

You know, I was influenced by so much unpleasant sentiment against multiple accts. So I thought just delete them! :-D Anyway, I have nothing against second acct.

#12 papillon

papillon

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

3. Random pairing of opponents is simply perfect here. I'm less brave in facing a lower-ranked than a higher-ranked, and that's because I lost 20 points before..

I very much like the random opponents as well, however I would approve of a kill switch of -200 points (or something like that) as Sohal has suggested in the past. Maybe it could be merit-based: Say, hitting a rating of (x) amount of points offers this option to decline opponents of (-x) rating. It could work like a reward/achievement. I would like our top players satisfied playing ranked games against strong opponents and not getting annoyed with dumb lotto games.

• kokokitty likes this

#13 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

I saw luckypapa post in another thread, I don't know how to use the quote function. He brought up the idea of a dynamic leaderboard which is brilliant. May I add on 2359hr Dec 31 of every year, the top 3 names get listed on a hall of fame, all ratings get reset, and we have a fresh league fight from Jan 1, 2015. This also lessens the incentive to play with multiple accts.

#14 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Sportsmanship should be demanded. The best players I've ever played don't result to cursing and name-calling. It adds nothing to the game save for turning off would-be Stratego aficionados. There's nothing to gain by swearing at your opponent because he/she is beating you and you can't stomach it. If I have to lose 50 games in a row in order for Stratego to benefit as a game, so be it. Give me your best w/out the colorful language.

• kokokitty likes this

Terror made me cruel. 

#15 kokokitty

kokokitty

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

That's really admirable attitude. I hope I have the honour to match up against you one day.

#16 Chewtoy

Chewtoy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

Send me a friend request :)

Terror made me cruel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic