Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Dear Community,

White Knight has come across a very ugly glitch that could affect anyone during the final stages of any match. Let’s say your opponent controls 0 Miners and you control 0 Miners. Both of your flags are covered in bombs, so capturing any flag is out of the question. You control a Major and your opponent controls 4 Scouts. You can basically chase these scouts around all day with your Major and nothing will ever get achieved. White Knight stated that he played for almost 2 hours, because of an issue like this and his opponent would not settle for a draw. Of course this is un-sportsmen like, but how do we deal with this problem? Again, I would like to call for a vote from all who wish to express their opinions on this issue.

Changing the software is the only solution that I can come up with, but if anyone else comes up with an even better idea on how to fix this problem, please speak up. Here is my solution below:

If both Players have lost all of their Miner Units in their squad and 50 moves are played by each player without capture of a unit or the flag, the game results in an automatic draw. That is a total of 100 moves from both players combined.

50 moves will allow you more than enough moves with 2 of your superior units to trap 1 of your opponent's inferior units. I have tested this theory out and it looks like you could achieve this trap in around 30 moves if both of your superior pieces, and your opponent's inferior piece; start from complete opposite sides of the entire game board (This will only work if you play perfectly). 50 moves will give you an extra 20 moves to play around with, so you do not have to be exact in your attempts to trap and capture. We could even change it to 60 moves if we need to, but I think 50 will prove to be sufficient.

As long as either team does NOT have any Miners left alive and no Captures are made after 50 moves from each side, the game should automatically draw. The 50 moves will also give scouts more than enough time to get in position, since it only takes 10 moves for a scout to move across the entire game board if they are deceptive in their movement.

HmmNess

Posted Image

#2 vowles_23

vowles_23

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I was going to suggest taking from chess again - 50 moves without a capture ends in a draw. Obviously if there are no miners left of the board.

Vote: yes.

vowles_23

chesscom_badge_468x60_s.gif

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm not in favour for this option and that's because I never get points when I draw a higher ranked opponent.
Two days ago I had the same situation with Oda Nobunaga and he was higher in the ranking.
He offered me a draw and I refused although he said it was gonna give me a few points while he was higher.
Normally that should have been the case,....so I refused it a couple of times and after that, I didn't react to his draw offerings.
After an half hour I finally accepted and what happened? Exactly what I thought : the match didn't count at all, there was no draw and there were no points for me. It's like the match has never been played at all.
He lost 2 points with the draw according to his words. I didn't gain anything.
So if I'm leading on the board and I can't win, I won't settle with a draw anymore.
Because I know the deal,....if I accept a draw against a lower ranked opponent, guarantee I'm gonna lose some points with it.
So I can only hand in points with a draw but never gain points,......that's wrong.

If they want a draw and they are lower-ranked than me,....I won't accept it anymore.
Also when they are higher-ranked btw, I'm just sick of it. It's every time that I don't get points.
They want a draw? Then they can make 2000 steps and EARN the draw like that.
You can call this unsportive behaviour. Doesn't matter,...I won't be rewarded for the draw anyway, no matter what I do so why should I accept?

Vote : no
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Trickz,

What if you are losing and someone that is winning offers you a draw, because the game can never end? Just because someone treats you wrong doesn't mean you should treat everyone else the same way.

This rule will not allow people to lag the game out for hours. If you read White Knight's post, you will understand that it was wrong what his opponent did. How could we solve this problem? Well, I am offering a suggestion.

HmmNess
Posted Image

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I will only accept it if I'm in losing position and the best I can get is a draw.
Only then will I accept a draw from now on.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#6 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

YES

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#7 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Yes. Forty or fifty moves is more then enough time. If both sides have no miners left, then the side who has the material advantage should have ample time to trap a non scout piece. There might be times where the player who does have the higher ranked pieces left, might be forced to stay near their unprotected flag too. An automatic draw would be the only solution here.

#8 surfohio

surfohio

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I vote yes, but since moves are fast and furious at the end of such game, easily 30 moves per minute, I would make the number 100 or higher.

#9 White Knight

White Knight

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Thank you Hmmness, Perhaps my loss and reporting this issue will prevent others from going through what I had to endure. I of course vote yes to this poll.

#10 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Yes.

And for those keeping score at home, 'Minors' are young people that are not considered legal adults. 'Miners' are those that remove mines, or bombs. :P

Spiff
  • Lady Kathryn likes this

#11 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thx for the correction Spiff :D
Posted Image

#12 MasterYoda

MasterYoda

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

yes B)

No! No different. Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned

#13 Kysjah

Kysjah

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Vote: Yes, But make it 50 moves like in chess :).

#14 KingTubby

KingTubby

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I vote yes, it's a good and fair solution.
Posted Image
I man rule the arena

#15 Jens14

Jens14

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I can relate to this.

I had a game where I had two captains, one sergeant and one major left. My opponent had one scout left. I had to chase around the scout for ages (he had his flag behind bombs, I didn't). The match took like over hour and half if not more easily.

I think it's kind of unfair I would have to settle for a draw though. I mean I have 4 pieces outranking the low scout and we should draw?

I think the solution is pretty good but maybe you should consider the official ISF tournament rules. You can find them here: http://www.isfstratego.com/rulreg.htm

#16 Riddler

Riddler

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well I just played a match and It went on for more than an hour. I had my flag behind bombs, and the other player had his flag and 2 sergeants between bombs. his only moving piece was a scout, and my only moving piece was my marshall. Neither of us wanted to give in.

Eventually he gave up after offering my a few ties, but since I wanted to try and see if he made a mistake, i refused. He started insulting me and I didn't want to accept a draw anymore because of his behaviour.

Perhaps there should come a system in which the game decides who is the winner and who loses based on the rank of the pieces that you can still move.

#17 varishnakov

varishnakov

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

That should have been a tie. If you cannot catch his scout, it should have been a tie and it was unsportsmanlike of you to decline his draw offers.

I have quit the site until the cheating players are dealt with.

#18 White Knight

White Knight

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Riddler you were in the near same situation I was in, except my flag was exposed to attack in the corner with one bomb protecting it. I had only a Colonel vs his few small pieces left. I wanted the draw but he refused to accepted it. You should gave been happy with the draw because the odds were poor that you would not lose your Marshall to a bomb.

#19 Riddler

Riddler

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Lieutenant

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

You guys are probably right. Before I played stratego online I used to play with family and we used to look at the higher ranked piece. Guess I'll look up the rules again.

#20 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

There should never be victory decided on who has what at the end of the game. Only a tie should be administered if both sides can't make any progress in their game and both sides have no Miners left.

There have been a number of games I have been in I was far behind in material but I still managed to come up with a victory. However, having higher ranked pieces never assures that you'll win a game, also been in a number of game I had a few higher pieces but lost because my opponent had too many smaller pieces and I was unable to stop their Miners from winning game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users