Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Dear stratego.com fans,

As the current ELO ranking provided on stratego.com does not allow for filtering, I've done some fun work on excel in the last weeks in order to produce a "clean" ranking. So I compared the silver leaderboards of april 1st, june 21st and june 29th and removed all accounts who do not fullfill the following criteria:

1) be a registered forum member

2) having written at least 1 post in the last 6 months (since january 2014)

3) having played at least 1 game in the last 3 months (since april 1st 2014)

4) beeing the main account of a player (all second accounts as known by MT have been removed)

5) not beeing a banned player

6) beeing a player registered on stratego.com

the result is a ranking cleaned down to 50 players (see file in attachment). Anybody who would still recognize some double accounts in there is invited to post the evidence of it on this forum and it will be cleaned by next update. As well any suggestions for improvement are welcome. The proposal is to update this list once per week (usually on sundays) with the following rules:

1) New comers can be introduced in the ranking if they fullfill the above criterias and ask formally for it in this forum (for example a player currently ranked silver but who is not a forum member can join the ranking by fullfilling criteria 1) and 2) above, or for example a player currently ranked bronze but who fullfills all criteria above can ask to be integrated in the ranking)

2) Players can be removed from this list if they do not fullfill the criteria anymore or if they have been judged guilty of unsportsmanlike behaviour

This ranking list is to be considered a temporary solution until improvements and option for filtering will have been brought in the software directly. Because of the long manual work required this list may be limited to maximum 100 players.

Have fun, Satan-NL is still the undisputed N°1 since more than a year now on stratego.com ... somebody needs to challenge him.

http://imgur.com/44Dwo7w

NB: Anybody knows what happened to KingTubby, he disappeared from leaderboard?

Napoleon 1er

• 7up, NTactical, Dekaeneas-Spy and 7 others like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#2 Dekaeneas-Spy

Dekaeneas-Spy

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hi Napoleon

3) having played at least 1 game in the last 3 months (since april 1st 2014)

1 game in the last 3 months is a little.

I believe 10 games the last 3 months is a better criterion.

Good idea and great job my friend just need to accept all the Moderators of the site and to help inform of the RANKING.

You Must Register A topic that they to be called "RANKING players without multiple accounts"

Thank you

• Aris1970 likes this

#3 Sohal

Sohal

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

you should remove the 2)

no need to write in forum to be in your list

stagerlee is active and should be in the list

#4 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

NB: Anybody knows what happened to KingTubby, he disappeared from leaderboard?

Napoleon 1er

KingTubby is at the moment in bronze leaderboard with 597. 

#5 Iron mind

Iron mind

New Recruit

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Do you have a reason to keep points 1 and 2. 
Because without those points you have a clear and real list 

Nice work btw

#6 HardRain_Lenny

HardRain_Lenny

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

@ Napoleon,

At this moment I've got 663 ELO points. On official ranking I'm not even within top 250 Silver.

Remarkable is that I'm # 39 on your clean list, which means that I'm more than 211 positions higher in your list !!! 

Of course this seems a little too much for an average player like me.

The reason must be mainly the impact of your criteria 1 and 2.

Apparantly many good players, who are no forum member or forum writer, aren't in the clean list anymore.

This doesn't sound good. I believe that to be active on a forum shouldn't be a criterium to be ranked yes / no.

Probably the criteria 1 and 2 can be ignored to prepare new list next week.

#7 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

The general idea of this kind of ranking is firstly to distinguish  the active players  and secondly to separate the main accounts from their aliases.

Critiria 1 and 2 can help very much to this direction especially for  the second purpose.

Most players who are active in forum usually use  their main account which has the name they prefer to be known to the others.

Also it is a kind of invitation to the inactive forum players to be member here.

I agree that in this list it could be better to add and some other accounts who are not members and anybody  of us can guarantee that they belong to an active player and are not aliases. I asked from Napoleon for example to add in the list gpeto and vohtheia , 2 greek players who do not visit forum but they are active players and they do not use other account. Also as I can read above Sohal guarantees the same for StaggerLee666.

• Aris1970 likes this

#8 Sadistic

Sadistic

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Napoleon, if you want to determine the most accurate ranking system, begin by removing about 10 illegitimate losses of mine, shuffle the criteria and when one lands me on the #1 spot, you have found the most accurate scoring system. Now, if we could somehow include the amount of beautiful women that each player has mounted into the scoring system, there wouldn't be another player within 500 points of me, with Sohal/Hielco-type nerds, scratching and gnawing, tooth and nail in the 400 point range with stratego beginners. Yes, such a scoring system would truly rank members in the most comprehensive and meaningful way. We simply cannot have nerds in the top of the rankings and this system would eliminate such travesties.

If it pleases management, I could provide you with a picture of myself, that you could boldly display atop each page here at Stratego.com., just as long as you don't hold me responsible for the random and epidemic ovulation outbreak that would certainly ensue within our resident female community. Yes, beloved fans, I have this sort of male beauty/celebrity influence going on. Now, behave yourselves.

#9 HardRain_Lenny

HardRain_Lenny

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

@ Karaskaisis

I believe that you didn't review my posting earlier in this topic and that you probably underestimate the impact of some criteria on the clean list.

My ranking improved from far above # 250 up to # 39 !!!!! That means that at least 211 nicknames are inactive or a known alias.!!!!

In case we've got more than 211 known aliasses, it's OK. But I still believe that a lot more players than gpeto and voithea have been eliminated from the clean list by criteria 1 and 2. This means that many great players aren't included in the clean standings, because they don't write on the forum.

Sorry.......nice initiative and surprising to see that an average player like me is in top 100, but forget criterium 1 and 2.

It's obvious that most players are no form member and / or don't write at all.

By the way...........in that case King Sadi should be definitely on # 1, since he prepared more postings in 2 weeks than other players in 2 years.

#10 tableplay

tableplay

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

I agree Lenny. I am a slightly above average player, but I am ranked 11th on this list. Clearly some new criteria need to be implemented.

Cheers, tp.

@ Karaskaisis

I believe that you didn't review my posting earlier in this topic and that you probably underestimate the impact of some criteria on the clean list.

My ranking improved from far above # 250 up to # 39 !!!!! That means that at least 211 nicknames are inactive or a known alias.!!!!

In case we've got more than 211 known aliasses, it's OK. But I still believe that a lot more players than gpeto and voithea have been eliminated from the clean list by criteria 1 and 2. This means that many great players aren't included in the clean standings, because they don't write on the forum.

Sorry.......nice initiative and surprising to see that an average player like me is in top 100, but forget criterium 1 and 2.

It's obvious that most players are no form member and / or don't write at all.

By the way...........in that case King Sadi should be definitely on # 1, since he prepared more postings in 2 weeks than other players in 2 years.

#11 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi guys ... and ladies if any,

Thank you all for your first constructive feedback. I like to reply to each above mentionned points:

1) Dekaenas-spy: yes it would be probably good to set a limit at around 10 games in 3 months, however if I would have done this the list would have been shorten to possibly half the number of ranked players. The idea is to have a realistic list, not to long but not to short of only different persons. Players can be added to the list as soon as they (or somebody else with justification) asks for it and if they fullfill all criteria. SO you have to understand that if one day we reach 100 players we may strengthen the criteria 3 to having played more games within 3 months. Let's see how it evolves

2) Sohal: your request to add Staggerlee is legitimate but if I would do it for him I should also do it for other 27 players in same situation like among others gpeto and vohtheia. I prefer if you invite these players to join the forum and contribute to develop the "world stratego spirit" desired here by posting interesting and constructive ideas around stratego. On the other side if players are not active forum members they will anyhow not see this cleaned ranking that is posted precisely on this forum. So in other words it is like these players are not interested to see this ranking. Beside this I believe the conditions 1) and 2) above are essential to limit the cases of double accounts because if players are effectively using several accounts on the battlefield it seems to be not the case on the forum where players usually write posts with one account only

3) Karaiskakis: thanks for the remark about Kingtubby I will keep him in next update ... anyway it was right for me to put it in last position as he is below 600

4) Hardrain lenny: yes your ranking looks much better in this ranking but there are obviously some stronger players (like israel guy or Keyzer Söze or others mentionned above already) who may deserve to be in there. Again if they are interested to be ranked on "stratego.com forum" they need to be members. As soon as they become members they will be added to the list

5) Sadistic: ...just feel free to invite your girlfriends to play stratego ... something tells me this will increase the attractiveness of the website

6) Tableplay: see remarks above

again all your contributions are welcome to improve this ranking. Any special statistics you wish to see?

Napoleon 1er

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#12 cflag

cflag

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I believe that the problem of multiple accounts starts from the introduction...

it gives you 2 options login (1from facebook-2from stratego account)which implies two different players

when in fact it is the same 1

Do not know how the administrator to solve this issue 

let us answer that

solving this will be fixed rankings enough

best regards cflag

member of ΣΕΡΡΕΣ STRATEGO team

#13 HardRain_Lenny

HardRain_Lenny

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

@ Napoleon

Thx for your extended explanation.

It seems to be that your "clean" list is basically a standing of a separate group.

To be included in this group you have to be active on the forum.

Basically I'm not interested in standings for such a special group. 

I'm neither interested in standings for Stratego players who play soccer or icehockey.

For me it's only important to have a complete standing of active Stratego players irrespective of these are writing on the forum yes / no or that these play soccer or whatever.

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

yes, your statement is fair and I agree this should be the goal. Nevertheless for time beeing how do you want to select non forum members from the leaderboard and be sure that they are no second or third account? for example if I take the example of the top 3 belgians Keyzer Söze, Klungle and fabb how do I know if this is 1, 2 or 3 persons? same question for the Israel accounts? Because of dynamic IP and multiple PCs, IP  check can only prove that 2 accounts are from the same household if they have the same IP but 2 accounts checked with different IP does not prove they are different persons.

The other alternative would be to have players registered with identity check. But also here you will gather only those players who agree with such conditions, not all players .... and I let you imagine the administrative work it would generate.

So for me we should proceed step by step, start restrictive and open to more when we are sure these are no second accounts. ... and then what does it bring to put in this "excel hand made ranking" also players who are no forum members and would thus not be able to see such ranking?

Napoleon 1er

#15 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,427 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Napoleon, thank you very much for creating this ranking list and your willingness to update it periodically.  I imagine that it is quite a large and time consuming task.  Obviously this is not a substitute for the work that needs to be done by programmers at the site to create a much improved overall leader board of all players, by enforcing the one-account rule and requiring players to be active in order to remain in the rankings.  However, this new ranking list will be a nice way for players to compare their abilities against a fairly large group of other players, including many top players, and they can know that there are no known multiple accounts in the list.  The Forum members are a community within a community, and anyone can join.  It will be interesting to track one's progress against people that we know from the Forum.   It makes sense to me not to include people who never visit the Forum, since they would never see their names in this list anyway, or even know of its existence. 

• Napoleon 1er, Where Is Ya Flag and HardRain_Lenny like this

#16 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

below the updated ranking as of July 6, 2014.

http://imgur.com/vojTpVd

This week 27 ranked players have played at least one game and the ranking has seen the following evolution:

1) Welcome back to silver Kingtubby, best progression of the week +23.12%

2) Gkaros highest drop of the week -20.68%, what happened? looking forward to seeing you coming back to silver colonel

3) 2 new entries The Rainmaker and Gaius Marius, welcome to silver

Napoleon 1er

• maxroelofs, Aris1970 and HardRain_Lenny like this

#17 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

below the updated ranking as of july 14h, 2014

http://imgur.com/MsFwaUd

This week 32 ranked players have played at least one game and the ranking has seen the following evolution:

1) Best progression of the week for Sekertziss. President of greek federation is back in top 15, congratulations

2) Spyros77 biggest drop of the week, what happened? sure he will come back soon

3) we welcome 2 new forum members Darthremark and Adapter as well Sgt. Blkdog is now new silver, Welcome!!!

4) this week's forum has also seen very intensive discussions about possible upgrade of ISF rules. What improvement are expected and when? ... just read forum and bring your constructive inputs ... we all want optimal rules for stratego.com!

Napoleon 1er

• maxroelofs likes this

#18 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,229 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

I want to request to add in your list the following  players 

1. john1974 (silver , active forum member ) he has USA flag but he is greek and member of GOSF

2. gorgsari   (silver , active forum member) greek player member of GOSF 

3. tsakaman (silver , active forum member with the name MIMIS69 because for technical reasons he is not able to sign in with his original name)  also member of GOSF

Also if it is possible to change the flag to any player we know his nationality 

kostas2506 is greek but has USA flag

TheMaestro is dutch but also has USA flag

SpacemanSpiff comes from  USA but has dutch flag

Enigma  comes from  USA but has dutch flag

KARAISKAKIS

• Aris1970 likes this

#19 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

If there are no objections to it by other forum members until next weekend, these modifications will be integrated as from next update.

Napoleon 1er

#20 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

below the updated ranking as of july 20th, 2014

http://imgur.com/oOvXVwH

This week 30 ranked players have played at least one game and the most important events of the week are the following:

1) Manning2cruz is now number 2 before Sohal. It is the first time since last year that the ranking of the first 2 has been disturbed. Congratulations M2C, you are absolutely right somebody needs to challenge these first 2, wish you a good continuation just continue like this

2) Best progression of the week for Kostas2506 +17% and best progression of the month for cflag +16%. Very good week for Greece with 9 players out of 11 having an improved or equivalent ranking as last week

3) we welcome 5 new forum members John1974, Gorgsari, Tsakaman, Leppie and NO OPTION and one new silver Midnightguy, congratulations

Napoleon 1er

• leppie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users