History and interesting statistics of the world championship in stratego.
In Marmari ( Evia / Greece ) there will be held the 20th tournament. These are some interesting statistics from the previous 19 events from 1997 - 2016 There are many and interesting findings.
- The country we played the most WC's is England 5 times (1997-2000 and 2011)
Next with 4 times comes Belgium and Germany and follows Netherlands with 3 times .
Austria , Ukraine and Greece once (this year will be the second time).
''all the cities were the WC was held.''
London (GB) 1997-1998- 1999 -2000
Berlin (DE) 2001 and 2013
Rotterdam (NL) 2002
Wien (AT) 2004
Antwerpen (BE) 2004-2006 - 2007
Kievo (UA) 2008
Gladbeck (DE) 2009
Maastricht (NL) 2010
North Shields (GB) 2011
Haastrecht (NL) 2012
Thessaloniki (GR) 2014
Waterloo (BE) 2015
Rendsburg (DE) 2016
- During these 19 events there are 888 participations from 15 different countries.
Almost 50% of the participations comes from Netherlands and 26% from Germany.
ES- BASQUE 5
- The average participation is 47 players per WC.
Biggest participation was in Rotterdam 2002 with 73 players.
Lowest record was in Nort Shields 2011 with 23 players.
Most countries in an event was in London 1997, in Berlin 2001 and in Waterloo 2015 . In all of these events players from 8 different countries participated.
Only Netherlands has had participation in every tournament (19/19)
England and Germany come next with 18/19. England wasn't present in Kievo 2008 and Germany in Thessaloniki 2014
- Netherlands has won 16/19 WC . Germany ( with Annies Steffen) in 2009 , England (with Richard Ratcliffe ) in 2011 and Greece with (Stauros Sekertzis) in 2016 won the remaing 3 tournaments.
- Most time word champion is Eric van den Berg ( 3 in a row 2000 - 2002) and Pim Niemeijer with 4 trophies
Vincent de boer follow with 3 trophies.
3 players (all of them dutch) Eric van den Berg in 2006 , Vincent de boer in 2003 and Adriaansen Luc in 1998 have won the WC with only wins !!!
- Biggest winning streak belongs to Vincent de boer with 15 wins in a row (between 2002-2004)
- Biggest unbeatable streak belongs to Tim Slagboom with 23 games in a row without defeat ( 2012-2014) . Pim Niemeijer with 12 games and Stavros Sekertzis with 11 games are currently running streaks without defeat and hope to break the record of Tim Slagboom.
Tie situations in which Buchholz points determined the world champion were in 6 WC.
5 times it was between 2 players (2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2007 - 2014 ) and 1 time between 4 players (2009)
In all the WC except 2 ( in 1999 and in 2007) there was game between the first 2 players. In these 2 tournaments there wasn't game between the world champion and the player who got the 2nd place.
- The most unhappy and unlucky player should be George Franka who was involved in the tie situation in 2009 and got the 4th place despite the fact that he won all the players who took the 3 medals.
- George Franka is also the player who has attended most WC's
Actually he has played in ALL (19/19)!!!!!!!!! His best perfomance was in Gladbeck(DE) in 2009 and in Thessaloniki (GR) in 2014 . Both years lost the title of WChampion in tie situations (4th and 2nd) . Also in the first WC (2007) he was 2nd . His worst perfomance was 2008 when he finished 22nd
Franka except the record of most games in WC is the recordman of winning games (110 is the total number) far away from the second
His stats are 110 wins - 23 draws - 48 defeats
Definitely George is an alive legend of WC's history