Photo

Need some strategy help from experienced players....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kyled

kyled

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I've been playing Stratego for a long time, but can't seem to get my attack strategy down. I'm pretty content with my arsenal of flag setups/defenses and few of them have ever failed me, but my attack game is weak, and I'm always in the end-game with the lowest ranking pieces.

One of my standards is a fairly balanced and defensive approach utilizing posting the Major and General on opposite sides of the board. Lately I was beaten my someone who utilized an unbalanced hyper aggressive strategy, and I was really impressed by it. Essentially, it involved attacking exclusively from one side equipped with the highest ranking officers and plowing through enemy lines in squads of three or four until you find the flag, defuse it's defenses, and win the game, causing your opponent to constantly be on the defense and rarely ever able to make an advance to your side of the board. And when they do, tricky bomb placement keeps them confused and inhibited from advancing to flag hunt very far.

However, I always find myself losing my higher ranking officers. I'm usually pretty careful with my Marshall and make sure he only attacks enemy pieces that have moved and aren't adjacent to any other enemy piece I haven't identified. Him I rarely lose, but I'm constantly losing Colonels.

I think what I need help with is useful 3-4 piece squad tips and attack strategies. I basically lotto with scouts (2), sergeants (4) lieutenants (5), and captains (6) and make as much progress as I can until I hit a higher ranking officer. Typically if it's something like a major (7), I'll send a colonel (8) to get rid of it and keep lottoing with mid and low ranking pieces. However, so often a marshall or general is supporting it and I lose my colonel. These types of things continue to happen until I'm down a few high ranking officers (except for my general and marshall) and end up losing the game after my opponent exchanges the marshall and general and is left with an extra colonel or major.

Is there a place for this strategy?

If so, what should I do when I hit a high ranking officer? It's harder when you're the one attacking because your attacking piece isn't as easily surrounded by friendly supports as the defensive piece is. I thought about attacking high ranking officers with identical ranks and exchanging, since I'm utilizing the elements of speed, surprise, and early placement advantage already, it might be in my favor to do so, so I don't risk losing a higher ranking officer to a marshall or general. What do you think? Could this be a useful approach? With this strategy the goal isn't necessarily to end the game with higher ranking pieces and then...wait it out... but to pummel through enemy ranks and get to the flag ASAP. Maybe it's worth exchanging majors, colonels, generals, and marshalls to get through quickly. Any feedback?

Also, anyone have any effective piece pairings when it comes to attack squads? What should I pair my high ranking supporting officers and midranking lottoing officers with?

Thanks,

Kyle

#2 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I find the setup not important. It is important to remember all knowing pieces and do non predictable moves. Try to find the bomb pattern of your opponenet and try to predict where his flag is. Hunt for high pieces. Broasting is also a important subject of the game. You can experience different setups and try which one you like the best.

Here you can also find some setup strategies which gives you some guideline into the game.
http://www.stratego....-for-beginners/

That's all i can say. It's very hard to give you an exact guideline for what's the best cause there isn't. I hope this helps you a bit.

Regards.

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

First of all,....let me say that I'm not the perfect person to give you an answer on this question.
I'm not really a top player, I consider myself as subtop,....not bad but surely not brilliant either.
But I can say you this as a bronze general :
If you chase majors, be very aware that these pawns are usually triggers.
9/10 they are backed up with the marsh, the general or the spy.
You just can't blindly lotto attack with the colonel because that means suicide.
You really can't miss them. A major is already hugh but that damage can be repared if you play it good.
But a colonel down is a disaster,.....just NEVER go unbacked in the opponent's territory cuz' like this, you give him all the space and time to plan an attack.
And most of the times he will sent a scout to chase your colonel and with that, he hopes to discover your marshall so that his counterattack can even be much more strong.

It's not a bad idea to use majors on the flanks in order to intercept lieutenants, captains, sergeants and so on......
The more you can steal from your opponent, the better it is.

But playing lotto will bring you nowhere. Sometimes you're lucky and in 50 procent of the cases you're not.
And if you play against real top players (silver players), then u're doomed anyway.
Believe me, I know haha :)
They really like it when you come charging in because the moment they know your marshall and general, the game is essentially over. They will take advantage of it.
Keep them unknown as long as you can and try to figure with other pieces out where his top pieces are.
That's always the first thing you need to do, try to locate his top pieces and make up a response to it.

I hope this will help you a little.
But again,...I'm not a top player.

Maybe one day......:)
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 kyled

kyled

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

do you think lotto-ing with lieutenants and captains and exchanging high ranking pieces could be effective?

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

it's no lottoplay if you use lieutenants or sergeants
lottoplay is only if you charge directly with the marshall, general or colonels

you can use lieutenants and sergeants as strong explorers, that's their goal
i personally don't like to explore with captains

what also could be effective,....if your opponent flies with an explorer into your lieutenant in the middle or on the flanks, then immediately put an explorer behind him
like this, he doesn't know what to think and yet you keep 'm triggered on that piece

stratego is much like poker,.....if you never bluff, you simply can't win the game

#6 kyled

kyled

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say in this paragraph. Can you rephrase?

"what also could be effective,....if your opponent flies with an explorer into your lieutenant in the middle or on the flanks, then immediately put an explorer behind him
like this, he doesn't know what to think and yet you keep 'm triggered on that piece"

#7 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Let him explore your low pieces. If you broast with low pieces and he uses a scout on them he would have less to spend on your higher pieces. Put an explorer on him i would only do if it's your 8-9-10-S he would otherwise explore.

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#8 kyled

kyled

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

So like send out a cluster of explorers (sargeant, lieutenants, captains) to "lotto" or explore enemy territory and get them to use their scouts on all of my guys?

#9 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I wouldn't charge with clusters of 4,....2, maybe 3 on a distance but certainly not after each other.
Because if he charges in with a lieutenant, you gotta run with the explorer and sergeant and then he know they are low-ranked and therefore he's bringing a captain or a major to get rid of it.

It's all about mindscrewing your opponent.
If you lose your lieutenant to his captain, you can charge with a sergeant to bluff him off.
He will look for protection and even when he uses the explorer first, it's excellent...cuz' now he needs someone else to back the captain up in order to kill your sergeant.
What helps is to back your sergeant immediately up with an explorer and to intimide him some more, use another explorer to back it up on the other side,....or a minor. Or another lieutenant, it's all fine.
In this way you can figure out which pieces he's moving and how is army is built.
Even when you lose an explorer or a sergeant with your bluff,....doesn't matter, bluff him off again.
There is no way that he's gonna see through your bluffs over and over again.
He can pull that off one time, maybe two but eventually he will get some heavy pieces.
The more you deceive, the harder it gets for him and if he feels the pressure so high, he will bring his marshall or general.
And that's what you want after all.

Other tips that I got from real top players are :
-take a lieutenant with a major (or captain)
-take a captain with the colonel (or major)
-never use explorers as explorers unless you think you can hit the spy
-if you want to explore a flank which doesn't move at all,...never take an explorer but explore it with a sergeant or a minor
-try to steal as much as possible from your opponent : the sooner he's out of explorers and other low-ranked pieces, the quicker he will use his marsh or general
-ranks are not everything : you can be a marsh up but on the other hand u're a captain, a lieutenant and two sergeants down for instance,....especially when your opponent knows your marsh, he can protect and use his spy accordingly and in fact he's stronger than you cuz' you can't catch them only with the marshall if he trades off the rest of his pieces on the board,.....plus he will attack so eventually you're gonna lose even more pieces.
-how nuts it may sound,....sometimes it's for instance good to lose a major to a marshall because like this, you can control the game and deceive him.................and if your major gave you a captain and a sergeant, it's not that bad of a deal, certainly when you know where you have to be on the board to attack him

And now i'm gonna stop cuz' I talk too much, lol :)

#10 kyled

kyled

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

When you say 'explorer' do you have a lieutenant in mind or a scout?

#11 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

explorer=scout

#12 deepblue

deepblue

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

My 2 cents:

Basically what your saying is to attack with a lot of high pieces together. Could work (as it did with you), but could also be desastrous. I would give more attention to get some decent information first before going in. But there is no 'best' option. It all depends and best is to shift your tactics constantly. Over games and also in games.
So try to learn all and master your favourite(s).

#13 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

You're right, there is no losing proof tactic :)
But I'm not afraid to lose a lieutenant and some sergeants and explorers to find out where his marshall is.
The one who knows it first will get a hugh chance to dominate the game.
And try to steal as much as you can. The more pieces you can grab, the less your opponent can use to detect your marshall or general. No back-up is always a disaster! :)

#14 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

"To strengthen one point you must weaken another" - Sun Tzu

If you are finding yourself in a situation where a player you are facing is doing an all out blitz with all their high pieces together and you are playing a fairly balanced defense, there should be a point where you can counter attack them. Even if they opt for using 4 bombs to block out the other two lanes, you should have time to get a miner and some scouts create an entrance to attack them.

The idea here is to be patience and not panic if you lose a Major or even a Colonel. Use the power of the bluff and create a counter attack.

#15 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Losing a major is risky but it's indeed "repairable" if you play it right.
Losing a colonel however,....that could be really fatal....
I'm not the guy who's willing to offer a captain or higher to force something in the game.
I don't like the pressure of making up moves to get levelled in rank.
Little defensive with heavy counterattacks............sometimes......... ;)

#16 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

All depends who you are facing. If you are facing a balanced player and you are balanced too, then no need to give up a Major or higher. If you are facing someone who is doing a massive attack against you, you may need to counter attack or you'll be at their mercy of them just picking off piece by piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users