Mzaq

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I would like an option where you can invite people into a custom match where the game would be for fun. What I mean is that you won't gain or lose ELO and your wins/losses won't get affected. This way I can play with friends without having to be pressured on winning. And with Custom Games, the creator of the lobby can choose game style and edit other rules (if new features were ever added in). I saw a topic on adding special powers to the game and though that this would be a good way to test them out against friends.

Also, another request, could you possibly have a different win/lose counter for ranked games and the quick arena because each of those gameplay styles are completely different and I think should have their own ELO ratings.

EDIT: I guess this thread has expanded to talking about other things as well (look at comments).

-Mzaq

#2 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I agree. Should be an option to host a game. Then the host could change all the options, including time. The host could choose if he or she would want the match to be ranked or not. You should also get to play who you want, especially if you know the player is a cheater or a low ranked player. I think the old system was a lot better.

HmmNess
Posted Image

#3 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Old system? Was there another system before the cpu selects your opponent then? :)
I don't think they will change this btw because if you can choose as host if your match is ranked,....that means in theory you can cheat with your ranking. Good, normal players won't do this perhaps but there are always players who are gonna abuse this option.
I agree with being able to choose your own opponent in a ranked-free math (which is already possible), even that the match won't count as a loss or a victory and that you can adapt your own specific rules in the game,...that's a good idea.
However,...the current system of selection should stay because I think it's the most honest way for the elo-rankings.
And even then it's not waterproof because I think there are enough second account-users who try to take as many points as possible when they play top opponents. I've had the experience of a few bronze spies who ripped me up completely with no luck at all, just skills!
But still it's a better system than when you can choose your own ranked games as a host I think.

Btw, I also think that there should be another ranking system for the quick games because it's a completely different playstyle.

grtz
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#4 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

I know that I bring this up a lot, but in chess.com they allow you to create a match. You can change the time and everything. Still, you don't get to choose your opponents in a ranked match, but you can decline a match if you wish. This allows you to protect your rating, because there are good players out there that can make a new low rating account and try to play against a high rated player. In chess.com, you simply just decline or make your settings so only certain ranked players are allowed to challenge you at any given time.

It is easy to push anyone down the way this site works as of now. All you have to do is create a new account and lose with it when u play low ranking players. When you come across a high ranked player, you then can try your best to beat him or her. If you lose with your 100 rating, no sweat off your back. If the other player loses with his or her high rating, well its -22 points or more, depending on how high the player is ranked. This is an easy way to manipulate the rankings and push good players down. Playing against a low ranked player is pretty much worthless…. +2 to your ranking if you win?? -20 or so if you lose…. How is this good for you in any sort of way?

I believe if you want to play a high ranked player, you need to work through the low ranks and boost your rank. Then you have proven yourself to the higher ranked players and you have something to lose if you take a loss. Otherwise, you will have a lot of high ranked players upset.

HmmNess
Posted Image

#5 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

HmmnNess, you're right.
Best solution would be a decline-button indeed.
In that way, cheating with other accounts will be useless (for the most - there are always top players who think to have an easy win on this fake bronze spy or scout :) ).
Btw,...losing against a bronze spy will cost you a lot more than 21 points.
I lost to a captain yesterday and that costed me 21 points already so it would be 25 or more I think.

There is just no room for error if you're a high-ranked player.
Pressure :)

#6 Mzaq

Mzaq

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I guess the current system would work much better if there were hundreds of people online at one time. But the option to accept or decline a match is a fair idea at the moment.
Once there are more people on at one time, the auto-match system should only match people up against their own level (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc...) so that way there won't a Bronze Miner facing a Silver Miner. Of course, the current problem is that it seems impossible to get into Gold or Platinum (and Silver since there are only 8 people there) so the ELO ratings might need to get tweaked a bit.

#7 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Once there are more people on at one time, the auto-match system should only match people up against their own level (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc...) so that way there won't a Bronze Miner facing a Silver Miner.

I don't think this is a good idea because if you are a new person on the site here, you don't get any chance to work yourself up the ladder. And maybe that person has a lot of Stratego-experience and as a newbee he can only play low-ranked opponents and therefore he's not earning much elo-points.
You should be able to play ANYONE for elo-points but if you are for instance a bronze minor, then you should have the option to decline a battle with a silver lieutenant and vice versa.

And the silver-list is growing btw,....there used to be one name there (Spiff) and now it's almost 10 so it evolves.
But you're right for the gold-and platinum-section,....it's impossible to reach those sections in the current system.
But maybe this will evolve too,....don't underestimate the power of players :)

#8 HmmNess

HmmNess

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

well again, in chess.com, if you are a new player you get a special boost for the first 4 games i believe. So if you win against a certain ranked player, you get 400% to 500% added to your rank. The engine will judge where your ranking should be.

HmmNess
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users