Roondy Moose

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Lotto is a legitimate strategy. Don't get mad at the lotto-er. Play better and win anyway.

Just remember WWSD

What would Satan do? I bet he gets lotto'd all the time, but he wins anyway against them. He probably loves it.

Love is a losing game.

#22 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:51 AM

Just remember, Stalin may not have been a nice guy.

BUT HE WON THE GREAT WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So call me anything you'd like - WE WILL ALWAYS ATTACK!!!!!!!

Scott, I agree with wanting to attack.  One thing the site has to do is implement the 100 move, no peice gained or loss draw mode.  We do not have referees to guarantee fair play.  I WILL NOT PLAY a 2 hour game where someone sandbags to save his imaginary internet rating by running in a circle, waiting for me to attack.  I simply make a guess and if Im wrong oh well.  I have a life and dont care that much.  However it is not fun to lose a game because someone is a whimp.  That being said it is common practice to take a captain or major and attack down the far flank blindly.  U make no sense, the game is all about trading and is all about getting a piece advantage; that is what separates u from the good players.  Myself, Manning, and Satan probably attack more than anyone on this game and manning and satan sure have figure out how to win without sandbagging and I guarantee u they lotto a little in the beginning.  As for your other comments.  I have a degree in European history and I can tell you the great war is WWI and Russia did not win, the Germans beat the living crap out of them, they got out of the war early, it was so bad the royal family was replaced with Lenin and the most pathetic form of government, communism.  You are correct Stalin was not a nice guy, Stalin was a piece of garbage that actually started WWII.  Stalin and Hitler had a pact to take over Poland together and then he cried when the Nazi's back-stabbed him.  They were not crying however during the Katyn forest massacre, that they blamed on the Germans, when they killed 20,000 Polish Intelligentsia.  In reality Russia attacks everyone and does not win very much as the Ruso-Japanese war indicates.  If it was not for Churchill and the Brits standing alone against the Germans, then the entire German force would have attacked Russia and you guys would have been toast.  Also If the U.S. didn't single handedly defeat the Japanese, a force you guys could not have fought with the Germans on your west, then you would be toast.  :) 

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#23 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Now, Now, I think you read a US History book!!!

I'll give you the Japanese.  We were smart and entered at the last minute!! :)

But lets call a spade a spade - huh?  Churchill stood against Hilter????  Perhaps you missed out on the years of 1942 and 1943 in that book.  Russia paid a damn bloody price to stop the Nazi War machine.  And we stopped it!  And then we rolled them right back from where they came.

And I dare say that all those panzer divisions we crushed across the Russian plains would have been waiting for good old Ike in Normandy if we weren't so busy demolishing them!!!!!!

In Russian History the Great War is WWII.  I would think that you would know that with a degree in European History - or was that European history as we in the west like to believe it to be!!!!! :)

As for the other stuff - no Russian condones Stalin's massacres - of Poles, Ukrainians, Tartars, and even Russians.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#24 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

http://i.telegraph.c...IN_2677365b.jpg

http://robertamsterd...talin-Putin.jpg

Enough said about Russia. Putin is the new Stalin rupturing old wounds in Crimea in the name of "loyalty".

Anyway not all americans have the wrong bent on history. The western world provoked all the Middle East conflicts going back nearly 100 years by meddling in affairs of countries not any of our concern,  Never learning when to bud out. Oil wars? Perhaps. But perhaps just never knowing when to say enough is enough. Beirut, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq. And those are just the past 35 years. The mistakes began decades before.

There are many who want to get more involved in the Middle East. As if we haven't made a total fiasco of the region, let's go in and muddle it up some more.

The push for democracy can always use morality as an excuse to meddle in the affairs of foreign lands. Just because we act in the name of liberty for all doesn't mean there are no boundaries to our meddling. Sure we had our towers knocked over and thousands died, but how did it ever get that far?

Just look at the USA and all its meddling after WWII and even before. Haven't we defended Israel long enough? Is it not time to stop driving machines of death? Dependence on oil kills, keeps us in gas guzzlers, and to keep that black gold flowing, we put soldiers in harms way not to mention citizens of Middle eastern countries, cause we "can't let the oil slip into the wrong hands". Well now its not just the oil , its the nukes are in the wrong hands.

Is it time to meddle some more? 

History dictates it so. The best predictor of the future is past behavior.

Oh yea and more power to fast players. One player can play fast while the other can move slowly. Its a democracy on shteego.com

#25 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Scott/Maribo, off topic the last posts. Every country has different history books. Neither of all like to tell they were very wrong in the past or in the present. The Dutch were very wrong in Indonesia, the Americans in Iraq and the Russians in Ukraine.

On topic: Play the lotto game is one kind of playing stratego. Fine with me. Lots of players shuffle forwards and backwards without attacking anything, fine by me too. Respect the style of your opponent, except if they want to cheat.

Off topic: Germany was very succesful with their Blitzkrieg, so....

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#26 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

The purpose of the game isn't to trade off pieces.  Its to find and capture the flag.  I don't know what number a major or captain is but I assume those are mid tier pieces.  How interesting is it to run around the board trying to trade off 1's and 2's and 3's and 4's?  Not very.  Nor is it in the spirit of the game - which is to find and capture the flag!!!!

And I would submit that if nines couldn't attack directly we'd see very different games and people would be forced to try to attack for real (moving your piece into one that you already know isn't an attack).

Scottrussia, taking the last part of the above first, I agree with you that it would be a change if the scouts could not move and attack in the same turn. I would even say we should try that out in a beta experiment if the programmers ever return. It is the way I used to play on my old 1961 board game and was definitely in the rules there.

I'm not sure but it could be that returning to this way now would mean a bit slower game since what is now done in one turn would then take two. But it would make for a good trial.

As to the purpose of the game, it's a two-tiered one. To be left standing at the end is one way of winning. Capturing the flag, another. You can be a purist about the latter, but the former is equally valid, and certainly more common.

Gary

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#27 waterfall

waterfall

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Myself, Manning, and Satan probably attack more than anyone on this game

pls can someone stop clown Gayus 

#28 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

You missed the part where I said they sure have figured it out.  Waterfall, your not that good and I never said I am good, just that I attack.  Not everyone is a sand-bagger.

#29 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Now, Now, I think you read a US History book!!!

I'll give you the Japanese.  We were smart and entered at the last minute!! :)

But lets call a spade a spade - huh?  Churchill stood against Hilter????  Perhaps you missed out on the years of 1942 and 1943 in that book.  Russia paid a damn bloody price to stop the Nazi War machine.  And we stopped it!  And then we rolled them right back from where they came.

And I dare say that all those panzer divisions we crushed across the Russian plains would have been waiting for good old Ike in Normandy if we weren't so busy demolishing them!!!!!!

In Russian History the Great War is WWII.  I would think that you would know that with a degree in European History - or was that European history as we in the west like to believe it to be!!!!! :)

As for the other stuff - no Russian condones Stalin's massacres - of Poles, Ukrainians, Tartars, and even Russians.

Pretty much we could say history is as you see it in the East!  You call the great war WWII because you want to ignore Russia's embarrassment in WWI.  Britain was leveled during the years of 1940-1941, the time when no other nation was fighting Germany other than Britain.  Imagine if Britain abdicated?  Imagine if the Japanese never attacked Pearl Harbor.  DO YOU HONESTLY THINK RUSSIA COULD FIGHT ALL THE GERMANS AND JAPANESE AT THE SAME TIME!  I highly doubt it.  You talk reminds me of the recent Olympics.  We hear how great Russia is, 50 billion dollars on an event, and then we see the living arrangements and the gov can not even provide for the basics.  I guarantee you if America was told 3 months in advance, "hey guys we need to host the Olympics because Russia screwed up, we could figure it out and do a better job.

#30 waterfall

waterfall

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Now you need to stop. 
What's next 
That our Dutch board game is actually based on American cowboys.

#31 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

haha waterfall your such a tool, Stratego was created by a French person, stop being such a nationalistic toolbag.  And don't hate on America,  your nation would be under the German or Russian rule if it was not for us.  You ought to show a little respect!

#32 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Gaius, I think we have a great country, I do.  But we do owe a debt of gratitude to other countries for their assistance at key moments in our history.  If it hadn't been for the French Admiral de Grasse and French General Rochambeau planning behind Washington's back to focus on Yorktown, Washington would've attacked New York City, a British stronghold at the time.  The French are the ones who enabled us to corner Cornwallis as it happened.  Washington didn't have the choice to do his plan.

Also, because the Czar respected Lincoln and great American experiment, Russia sent ships during the Civil War helped to keep the British and French from coming in and divvying up the spoils while we were at each other's throats over here.  This was a big reason for the Bolshevik Revolution, as well as the fall of the Kaiser.  The banksters didn't like the involvement a monarch against their plans any longer.  

Gary

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#33 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

lol the French only came to our aid because we had the British on the ropes and they wanted to stick it to the Brits in typical french style.  We did work together but they owe us the same gratitude for saving them from Nazi occupation.  Also we inspired the French revolution with our success against the Brits.  And in reality we could not have won our independence if it was not for the bulk of the British forces in India.  France would have gotten destroyed if Britain was not in all corners of the world trying to build an Empire.  And Gary Im not trying to be a typical 'Merica' kind of guy.  But as a history person I am tired of hearing Europeans and Russians act like they are all that when in reality if they understood history, and were not so nationalistic, they would not have missed the errors they have done in history.

#34 waterfall

waterfall

Bomb

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Yes you're right gayus,

I do not get the impression that you find your roots super powerful 
btw what was the thread about.

#35 THEE_ASSASSIN

THEE_ASSASSIN

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

There is nothing so great about this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,018 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

And I would submit that if nines couldn't attack directly we'd see very different games and people would be forced to try to attack for real (moving your piece into one that you already know isn't an attack).

That's just pure lotto and makes no sense, there's no skill in that.

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#37 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

No its not pure lotto max.  It reduces the ability nines to identify incoming pieces.  Forces you to make assumptions and calculated risks - that takes skill.  Running a nine into a three and then moving a two into that known three does NOT take any skill.  My four year old daughter knows to do that.

It would makes attacking more valuable and defense less viable.  ie. you have to attack to find the flag and win the game.  Which is the intention of the game.  Allowing nines to fly into pieces rewards the player that sits on his/her own side of the board.  That is not the intent of the game

And I looked at both of my board games and the rules and neither allows nines to fly into pieces - so I'm not sure when that changed.

Nines had to be in the same row to be able to identify easily (diagonal could slow down one piece if the player didn't want to let you know the piece).   Usually you'd attack with say a 3 and a 7 - using the seven to try to kill any nine put in front of you.  It made for more pitched battles in the center and more attacking IMO.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#38 Roondy Moose

Roondy Moose

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I guess it makes sense that you're the highest rated player on the site since you know what the true intent of the game is.

• Gaius Marius likes this

Love is a losing game.

#39 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

No its not pure lotto max.  It reduces the ability nines to identify incoming pieces.  Forces you to make assumptions and calculated risks - that takes skill.  Running a nine into a three and then moving a two into that known three does NOT take any skill.  My four year old daughter knows to do that.

It would makes attacking more valuable and defense less viable.  ie. you have to attack to find the flag and win the game.  Which is the intention of the game.  Allowing nines to fly into pieces rewards the player that sits on his/her own side of the board.  That is not the intent of the game

And I looked at both of my board games and the rules and neither allows nines to fly into pieces - so I'm not sure when that changed.

Nines had to be in the same row to be able to identify easily (diagonal could slow down one piece if the player didn't want to let you know the piece).   Usually you'd attack with say a 3 and a 7 - using the seven to try to kill any nine put in front of you.  It made for more pitched battles in the center and more attacking IMO.

Scouts can fly because they are the light infantry and are more mobile.  Also u make no sense, you have to lotto at some point in the game, you either reveal a piece with a 2 or a 4 or 5 or 6 and then if it is a higher piece that what u took, u make some more deductions and then make ur guess with taking the higher piece.  Its people that the take their 10 and attack everything that has not moved the second the game starts that is a lottoer.  But someone that uses a higher piece to reveal something is fine.

#40 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yes you're right gayus,

I do not get the impression that you find your roots super powerful